A Conversation for Talking Point: 11 September, 2001 - One Year On

Understanding

Post 1

tourdelux

I think that the weirdest thing about 11 September is that it still hasn't really sunk in what has happened for many of us. When I saw the pictures again and heard reports on TV and Radio, it was like the news coming again. I felt the shock that I had felt a year before and the complete inability to understand what had happened.
No matter how much you think about it you just can't get to grips with what has happened. It is almost as if it wasn't possible that it could of happened. If written in a thriller plot the idea would be treated as ridiculous. If taken as the subject of a documentary showing how it might be possible it would be treated as farce. That's why civilisation comes up with crude jokes and diversions from the truth. They try to ignore it but it's still there, glaring you in the face. Why?


Understanding

Post 2

Stuart

Now you will understand how the people of Afghanistan, Vietnam and the multitude of other countries that the USA have dropped bombs on felt (27 in all). Horrible isn’t it?

Stuart


Understanding

Post 3

tourdelux

Yes, though I'm not sure how people in the US feel about the 11 September seeing as I don't know any. My reaction living in Europe is sort of almost like you're outside looking in on the terrible things that have happened over the years around the place. False security is terrible. When broken it feels much worse than if you have had proper security broken.
Then there are the things that have followed and they really do bring me in Europe closer. Troops to Afghanistan for not a particularly obvious reason, but need for revenge. And now possibly Iraq what do the larger nations think they're playing at?


Understanding

Post 4

Bodhisattva

By "the larger nations" you mean the US and the UK?

Bush in his address yesterday referred to international support, but at present I can only see two nations thinking a war against Saddam is a good idea. Of course this may change today as the UN General Assembly meets to discuss it.


Understanding

Post 5

tourdelux

Mmmm...
Yes I suppose I do mean the US and UK. A bit stupid of me to put 'larger nations'. I don't think the nation's can be accredited with the beliefs of their leaders, who in my view are foolhardy and downright, embarrassingly ignorant.


Understanding

Post 6

Bodhisattva

The Peter principle says that people get promoted to their level of incompetence. Seems this may apply to politics as well...


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more