A Conversation for h2g2 House Rules

Homophobic posts and content

Post 41

There is only one thing worse than being Gosho, and that is not being Gosho

I have never knowingly met a homosexual who can in all honesty say that they have never come across a heterosexual who has treated them as an equal. It seems very unlikely in this day and age, depending, of course, upon where you live.


Homophobic posts and content

Post 42

Batty_ACE

I agree! Many of my friends are heterosexual and don't have a problem with my homosexual or bisexual friends. smiley - erm Though as a rule I don't like anyone who would... I'd be very inclined to tell them to pound sand..

I didn't say you were a bigot, I said you *seemed* one because of the comments you make and such (see the second post in a row by me clarifying - one word can make a WORLD of difference).

Sadly, when you're looking to be treated differently, however unintentionally you are doing so, then you will be. If you stop looking for slights from people then they may just find someone else to pester. And if you're living in an area where that kind of behavior is rampant then for goodness sake leave! Life's too short to surround yourself with such things.

My best friend is gay. For a long time his family thought I was his girlfriend. His uncle even once told me my lipstick was smeared when my friend and I were upstairs alone for a while. Because it's not my job to tell people about his sexuality I didn't say anything one way or the other to people who assumed we were a couple (mostly his family).

When we both moved out of that city he finally felt strong enough to tell his family. His mom didn't even blink, his dad came around after a shock and his uncle asked him if he'd told me about it yet. smiley - laugh


Homophobic posts and content

Post 43

Cal - interim high priest of the Church of the Holy Tail

I live in a very small village and have not come across one single problem (the peasents are revolting! thats no way to talk about the peasents *giggles)


anyhoo, because I'm Bi will that confuse the biggots?, will I only get half beaten up? Am I simply Bi because I'm just incredably cr@p at making decisions? *giggles* Or maybe I'm just sitting on the fence until I see which side is gonna win (incredably uncomfortable especally if it's a pointy fence smiley - winkeye )

*waits around for Robbie to make an appreance*


Homophobic posts and content

Post 44

Batty_ACE

smiley - bigeyes *starts to wonder if Cal's on that fence because he likes the pointy things*

I've actually wondered about that... if someone who is bisexual would be treated like a half-breed.. not really one or the other.. or if it's totally different.

As far as I'm concerned such things shouldn't enter into it. People are people - you take away the outer wrapping smiley - erm and the fuzzy stuff and they're all the same. *shrugs* Of course that's just one bat's opinion...

Oh and true to form I forgot the most important part of my story about my friend. He comes from a Texas ranching family - probably some of the most notoriously conservative people on the face of the planet... smiley - erm okay.. Bush has proven that fanatical and basically nuts is the proper description.. the point was they loved him and accepted him and didn't react nearly the way he was expecting.


Homophobic posts and content

Post 45

Rillington

The ironic thing is thaty bisexuals offer suffer from what i call biphobia from the gay community.

On the general point of the last few posts, it is true to say that I received rejection from my family - my mother is a religious fanatic and thinks I haven't emt the right woman and my brother is a 'lad' who can't understand how any man can't find women attractive so that does't help. However, the fact that all of my former heterosexual friends have some sort of issue with it does result in me saying whaty I say, coupled with the inequalities in law and the greater social inequalities such as not being able to hold your same sex partner's hand in the street, something which annoys me bigtime. I just stick to those who don't have an issue and it is only other gay people who I can be myself around without having to moderate my behavious so not to offend heterosexuals.


Homophobic posts and content

Post 46

Batty_ACE

Just out of curiosity where do you live that doesn't allow gay couples to hold hands in public smiley - erm and more importantly why are you still there? Even here in the US where things can be so awfully inequitable there are areas where this isn't looked down upon. And as much as the chimp in charge (Bush) tries to pull his useless religious stuff our major corporations are closing that gap.

For example - the company I work for not only has strong anti-discrimination and diversity in employment practices but even as a stuffy old southern bank they offer full benefits to spouses, both gay and straight, and domestic partners. Some of my coworkers are openly gay, inasmuch as you can be at work, where discussing personal things and particularly sex of any kind is improper.

The biggest problem with religious fanatics, who are wholly different than those who earnestly follow the teachings of their chosen path, is that they use god as an excuse for very ungodly behavior. This, IMHO, is s far worse sin than whatever they choose to rail against. Those fanatics are at the very bottom of the food chain, in my view.


Homophobic posts and content

Post 47

Rillington

I live in Leeds but have found it to be the same regardless of where I have been. Have never seen a same sex couple holding hands in public.


Homophobic posts and content

Post 48

Batty_ACE

That's a pity. Here there are areas that are more liberal than others but, for the most part, it's not against the law that I know of. smiley - erm Then again the shrub is trying his best to throw this country back a few decades into what they call a better time with *cough* good family values. A time that was really only better if you were a rich, white, protestant man.

Honestly I think they only reason that blistering ignoramus isn't stripped naked and set afire is because the most frightening two words in the English language at the moment are "President Cheney". smiley - yikes


Homophobic posts and content

Post 49

Cal - interim high priest of the Church of the Holy Tail

Leeds! thats just down the road, I only live in Donny and I don't have a problem at all.




Homophobic posts and content

Post 50

Rillington

It isn't against the law directly but we could be arrested for creating a public disturbance by doing so. It was illegal for us to kiss our same sex partner in public until 2003 however.


Homophobic posts and content

Post 51

Cal - interim high priest of the Church of the Holy Tail

ahhh so it's illegal to kiss your same sex partner, but quite ok to kiss some random same sex stranger *giggles*


Homophobic posts and content

Post 52

Batty_ACE

Unless the public nuisance law specifically defines gay couple public handholding I don't see how..


Homophobic posts and content

Post 53

Rillington

You know exactly what I mean Cal. Please don't belittle what is a serious point for gay people.


Homophobic posts and content

Post 54

Batty_ACE

I like your interpretation, Cal! smiley - ok


Homophobic posts and content

Post 55

Rillington

It doesn't but by doing something which could cause a public disturbance is against the law and given that two people of the same sex, especially two men, holding hands etc is something which heterosexuals frown upon and often do something about, means it is not somrthing that we are able to do and something I have never seen happen.


Homophobic posts and content

Post 56

lil ~ Auntie Giggles with added login ~ returned

Oh Rillington,

Please chill out.. Cal isn't belittleing you... he is trying to show you there is humour and fun to be had.

You have to accept there will always be those that don't like what you advocate. There are many more who will help you find what you need.


lil xx


Homophobic posts and content

Post 57

Batty_ACE

more to the point - I don't see how you could be prosecuted for causing a public nuisance unless it is defined specifically within the law... for the authorities to prosecute or fine would open them up to rights issues... that's why it can't be fined or prosecuted here - it would be an infringement on rights and would be, by definition, unequal.


Homophobic posts and content

Post 58

Primeval Mudd (formerly Roymondo)

Rillington, as I said before, you've been unlucky. When I've come out at work the reponses range from:

'Oh, really?' to 'Really, I wouldn't have guessed' from the blokes and, from the women, the same but with an occasional 'Cool, you should join us at a gay club sometime. I've a couple of gay friends and when we go we have a great time'.


Homophobic posts and content

Post 59

Rillington

Yes but we don't get treated as equals do we either in law or in soceity so therefore whilst it isn't that likely, by doing something which the overwhealming majority has an issue with you are likely to cause a disturbance/nuisance which would have to be dealt with. It wasn't that long ago that two men were told not to kiss at a railway station for that very reason. I recall reading about it at length in the gay media.


Homophobic posts and content

Post 60

Rillington

If I was working then there is NO WAY I would ever even consider coming out. For one, it isn't the business of my work colleagues but more importantly, it could easily be used against me and you can't just walk away from any hassle which could result.


Key: Complain about this post