A Conversation for Beer Review Page

Searching for a beer...

Post 1

Iskandar

Several years ago I had the good fortune to have several pints of an ale by the name of Smyticks (sp?). I was in Ireland at the time and all of the pubs I visited had it on tap, but I have not been able to locate any mention of it since leaving Ireland. If any can tell me if it is marketed outside Ireland I would be eternally greatfull.

I guess until that time I shall have to continue my search...
*Cheers*

smiley - cheers


Searching for a beer...

Post 2

Just zis Guy, you know? † Cyclist [A690572] :: At the 51st centile of ursine intelligence

I know it not - have you tried Googling?


Searching for a beer...

Post 3

Captain Kebab

When I read this I Googled (Google is my friend) but I didn't get any leads. I've not heard of Smyticks before. I'm going to try some alternative spellings (Google suggested 'stick' - big help!)


Searching for a beer...

Post 4

Captain Kebab

Hmm - a quick scan reveals 2 real ale breweries in Northern Ireland (Hilden and Whitewater) and 3 in the Republic (The Biddy Early Brewery, The Irish Brewing Company, and Carlow Brewing Company) - none of which seem to produce anything of similar name. First scan though - there are plenty of links I haven't followed up.

Mind you, Iskandar didn't say it was necessarily an Irish brew, but it sounds likely if it was on tap everywhere. I didn't get anywhere with 'Smytick', or any variation I could think of. smiley - erm


Searching for a beer...

Post 5

Captain Kebab

Wheee - Smithwick's of Kilkenny!

http://www.beerhunter.com/documents/19133-000028.html

Now we're cooking!

smiley - cheers


Searching for a beer...

Post 6

Captain Kebab

Told you Google is my friend! smiley - biggrin


Searching for a beer...

Post 7

Captain Kebab

Iskandar - you are in the US I think - it doesn't look like Smithwick's is exported there. Guinness have an interest in the brewery - according to this site they export it to Europe under the name of Kilkenny.

http://vu-vlsi.ee.vill.edu/user/nolan/beers.html


Searching for a beer...

Post 8

Just zis Guy, you know? † Cyclist [A690572] :: At the 51st centile of ursine intelligence

Damn, I tried Smythwicks - I knew it was something like that.


Searching for a beer...

Post 9

Pastey

Smithicks used to be on sale in the Uk for about a year or two at the height of the smoothflo (no W) era, about the same time as alcopops hit the shelves. There were many keg bitters and lagers that got the n2o treatment.
The fad died out though as the English drinkers realised the market was glutted and it was indeed a fad. A few remain, like Caffreys (whose recipe is so similar to Smithicks it's remarkable) and occasionally you may see a Carling Premier pump aswell.

smiley - rose


Key: Complain about this post