A Conversation for Talking About the Guide - the h2g2 Community

I'm gonna raise a mass theological debate here: God; fact, or fiction

Post 4981

Jordan

Tox is too clever to need maths. Hass is too original. smiley - winkeye

And Matholwch wouldn't be himself without it! smiley - laugh

- Jordan


I'm gonna raise a mass theological debate here: God; fact, or fiction

Post 4982

toxxin - ¡umop apisdn w,I 'aw dlaH

Hi Jordan. I really could have done with the maths but I had to argue it a different way. Made a reductio ad absurdum of the guy's claim instead. See this if you're interested and explain to Eric: http://www.bbc.co.uk/cgi-perl/h2/h2.cgi?x=y&board=radio4.questions&state=view&sort=U

Oh yep, I'm Doc Turner over there. Second post down on the latest messages button. They close at 22:00!


I'm gonna raise a mass theological debate here: God; fact, or fiction

Post 4983

toxxin - ¡umop apisdn w,I 'aw dlaH

Oops! Should have said only closed for posting. Readable 24/7


I'm gonna raise a mass theological debate here: God; fact, or fiction

Post 4984

Jordan

Done. Postings queued for display.

I'm going home now. smiley - online2long

- Jordan


I'm gonna raise a mass theological debate here: God; fact, or fiction

Post 4985

hasselfree

Adib

Thinking about the posts where the scientific evidence in the Quoran, helps you to see it as the only word of God.
I think the mistake is to believe that every generation, particularly anything B.C was stupid and incapable of philosophic thought.
The simple fact is that in those days news didn’t travel quite so fast as it does today.

Many of the things that you refer to as innovative scientific prediction had already been thought of before Mohammed’s time.
As an instance concerning the shape of the world.
All the clues to it’s true shape exist and have always done so.
At anytime in mankind’s history he has been able to look up at the moon in the sky and the answer to the conundrum has always been there.
Mythological man could have seen it as being eaten away and then restored each month.
A philosopher can see the shape of shadows on the ground and that the sun/light is the cause of the shadow.
It takes a few steps to conclude that the darkness on the moon could also be shadow and that the earth, which now hides the sun during night time is the thing casting the shadow. In this way we can see clearly that the earth is round exactly as the two other shapes in our skies. Because the shadow on the moon is spherical.
And all of this without mathematics but the perfectly obvious conclusions of what is staring us in the face.
Of course having thought this thought, but having absolutely no way of proving the theory the person ,who then goes against common belief, will have a hard time.
You maybe surprised to know, as I was, that the atom was thought of and named in about 450 BC. And the originator of the thought was not empowered with a God Like form by his contempories
I suspect that many of the theories which have become true were common theories to many people before the writing of the Quoran.
Here’s another thought from the night sky
I looked up at Orion last night and remembered that a friend of mine had written a book concerning the pyramids. He believed that the Egyptians thought that Orion’s belt, visible in their night sky, was the home of the Gods and that their Pharoahs were decendents of those gods.
The three stars that are almost in line he theorised were in the exact same position as the pyramids. Two in line and a smaller one offset as the pyramids are.
The constellation I saw was not as vivid as the link.
http://www.seds.org/Maps/Stars_en/beteigeuze_add.html

in fact I could see the three stars and then below one top bright star and two lower and a forth in line with the top on to the right.
When I joined these visible stars up in my minds eye the made the shape of a three dimensional pyramid.
Perhaps a look at the night sky would be better than this link which shows all the stars brightly.
It also made me wonder, if the pyramids were built as a mirror copy of Orion’s belt, whether any other things were also built to be in line with other stars in that constellation.
Perhaps, and that’s the big word, the Egyptians believing that Orian was the home of the gods, saw the shape below it and reasoned it was a ‘message’ from the Gods on how to travel to Orian/Home after death.
Such a belief system would have the urgency and motivation required to build such an amazing structure.
A mechanism to allow the gods on earth to return to their homes in the skies. what a divine project that would be and all those involved would consider it a pleasure to create it.





I'm gonna raise a mass theological debate here: God; fact, or fiction

Post 4986

alji's

Hass, did you see 'Bristol topped the grin league with a 70 percent'?
http://uk.news.yahoo.com/030219/80/dtl4l.html

Alji smiley - magic the Magus (don't forget to record your sun sign @ A712595 ) Pastor of the Church of Spiritual Humanism.


I'm gonna raise a mass theological debate here: God; fact, or fiction

Post 4987

alji's

Egyptians; Orion’s belt and the Pyramids are aligned almost exactly as the Belt Stars appear,
http://ds.dial.pipex.com/ritson/quest/orion/gizagif.htm and follow the links.

Alji smiley - magic the Magus (don't forget to record your sun sign @ A712595 ) Pastor of the Church of Spiritual Humanism.


I'm gonna raise a mass theological debate here: God; fact, or fiction

Post 4988

hasselfree

Glad to see you Alji
Yes it's Robert Bauval that's my friend !


Toxx,
Back to the circle.
If space is circular and time is the thing that flows around it, like the river, we can never step into the same place twice.


I'm gonna raise a mass theological debate here: God; fact, or fiction

Post 4989

alji's

Broadcasting watchdog vindicates unorthodox thinkers, Hancock and Bauval, over controversial Horizon documentary about Atlantis @
http://www.grahamhancock.com/horizon/bsc-press_release.htm

<quote>The Horizon documentary reported at length a 'debunking' of the Correlation Theory presented by the astronomer Edwin Krupp. Krupp accused Bauval of somehow fudging the maps of Orion and the Pyramids by placing them "upside down" in order to make the theory work. Krupp's argument hinges on the modern convention that 'north is up and south is down' in map-making.

Alji smiley - magic the Magus (don't forget to record your sun sign @ A712595 ) Pastor of the Church of Spiritual Humanism.


I'm gonna raise a mass theological debate here: God; fact, or fiction

Post 4990

OpheliaButtocks

Another debate....irony in America. Fact or fiction?


I'm gonna raise a mass theological debate here: God; fact, or fiction

Post 4991

hasselfree

Alji
Robert, (I pronounce Rowbere as he is from Belguim but lived all his life in Egypt, but now in London) has a theory about the little door recently found in the pyramids. He believes that running between the pyramid and the sphinx is the hall of records. He believes that Eygptian civilisation was instigated by the more civilised and intelligent surviving Atlantians. That the Hall of records has documentation that will surprise even this technological age.


I'm gonna raise a mass theological debate here: God; fact, or fiction

Post 4992

toxxin - ¡umop apisdn w,I 'aw dlaH

Stunning work over on qq, Jordan. I'm more than impressed. Thanks for the solid stuff underlying the hotel metaphor.


I'm gonna raise a mass theological debate here: God; fact, or fiction

Post 4993

Kaz

Hi Alji, I was born in Bristol! I now live in Londonish, and I find it easy to get talking to strangers in shop queues and stuff, but then I am also always being followed by strange men as well - not used to friendly girls in Croydon!


I'm gonna raise a mass theological debate here: God; fact, or fiction

Post 4994

diversity

Hi hasslefreesmiley - smiley
'like the river, we can never step into the same place twice.'
I like Heraclitis. (p.e.s.)
How about this one...
'The kingship is like a child playing at draughts'

I wonder if god gets worked up about us as much as we get worked up about him?
Diversity


I'm gonna raise a mass theological debate here: God; fact, or fiction

Post 4995

DA ; Simply Vicky: Don't get pithy with me!

>>and use the proceeds to get something nice for ourselves.
Diversity>>
Some jewellery,or areally good sound system. Jimmy says an 'Aston Martin DB5 Volante'(That means it's a convertible.)smiley - biggrin


I'm gonna raise a mass theological debate here: God; fact, or fiction

Post 4996

raindog

It all seems largely irrelevant for us to be bothering about the existence of (a) God. If (S)He does exist, and will not prove it due to wanting faith-i.e. the Christian argument- then we cannot ever- save for the final judgment- know the mind of God. So whatever we see as how They probably would proceed is a) likely to be (fairly) correct and b) largely open to interpretation, we are human-what experience do we have in thinking as a God?-get those two to accord! It is the goal of our modern style of scientific enquiry to only rest when we have conclusively proven something. NOT going to happen . SO- what now? First believe that we have guessed correctly, not only on the existence of God but on our temporally biased(early 21st Century) take on our relative position on our relationship. And then, wholly up in the air, proceed in those terms. Who could be happy with that level of authority, forgetting for an instant the psychology, philosophy, the neurological input and the fact that the mach 3 turbo razer is a bit of a let-down (that is to say reasonable but earthly considerations that will inevitably raise themselves in normal 'day-to-day' life).
Faced with this the average person will forget the whole thing; the above average will only persist for the Kudos of being able to and yer actual creme de la creme(I feel an Alf Garnett moment coming on) will go at it like extremely reasonable Turkish prostitutes because a) they can and b) they are compelled to by their sense that this is what they do. The rest of us then find our space on the ladder based on how many of the complicated words we could understand without a dictionary and whether or not we care enough to hype our own egos. For once my youngest daughter seems to have achieved a Zen-like sense of quietude and Cosmic balance-"Whatever".


I'm gonna raise a mass theological debate here: God; fact, or fiction

Post 4997

diversity

Hiya, Della smiley - smiley
I'm kind of a pick-up truck guy, myself, but I think we could get more than a car or stereo for the ability to alter the course of Earths path thru space. We are talking some serious Dr. Evil level stuff heresmiley - winkeye You can have the car, though, if you can pull it off. I wouldn't mind a decent stereo if you are interested in unloading the excess... smiley - tickle


I'm gonna raise a mass theological debate here: God; fact, or fiction

Post 4998

diversity

Hello, raindogsmiley - smiley
I love my mach 3 turbo razor.

'the mach 3 turbo razer is a bit of a let-down'

'For once my youngest daughter seems to have achieved a Zen-like sense of quietude and Cosmic balance-"Whatever".'

Your daughter, however, is absolutly correct.
Diversity


I'm gonna raise a mass theological debate here: God; fact, or fiction

Post 4999

hasselfree

Raindog
Miracles happen all around us all the time.
We live on a rock spinning silently through infinity and somehow manage to survive.
A flower, a rainbow, gravity, food, procreation, electricity, cyberspace. etc etc.
The problem is that we have become immune to everyday miracles, because they are so common place.
If the skies opened everyday and God spoke to us all, we'd soon become blasé and start saying 'whatever'.
So the definition of the miraculous must be something that rarely happens


I'm gonna raise a mass theological debate here: God; fact, or fiction

Post 5000

diversity

Perhaps the miracle isn't so much the actual occurance or event, as much as it is our leaving our 'selfs' behind... actually feeling; without the shroud of our super ego occluding our vision. Most of the stuff we take for granted is really cool stuff at the molecular level. We just see it so often...smiley - erm


Key: Complain about this post