A Conversation for Hypatia of Alexandria

A397596 - Hypatia of Alexandria

Post 1

J'au-æmne

Hypatia was amazing because she was a woman. I think her story's important, so I wrote the entry.


A397596 - Hypatia of Alexandria

Post 2

amdsweb

Hello.
Your post about Hypatia is on page 3 of the peer review forum.
Nobody replied to your post, which I think it is sad, cos it refers to an interesting guide entry.

Concise, to the point, interesting, well laid out. Can't say much about the factual content cos I don't know anything about hypatia (well I didn't until I read this!).
All I would suggest is that you expand on the last bit about her being amazing cos she was a woman - do you imply that because of the society she lived in it was amazing for a woman to be so influential?

I'll be putting this one on my list of recommended entries.

- Adam


A397596 - Hypatia of Alexandria

Post 3

J'au-æmne

Thank you smiley - smiley I was beginning to think that no one would ever notice this post!

My point about her being amazing is that there were no other prominent women in maths until at least this century. Although most people haven't heard of Hypatia, there is a lot of stuff written about her... ...and I've never found anything else about a female mathematician, especially not one who flourished so early.

Does that make sense?


A397596 - Hypatia of Alexandria

Post 4

Omicron - Master of Hyperspace and Chanter of arcane superstring equations

I'll agree with the fact that female mathematicians are rather uncommon, but out here in India, we had this guy called Aryabhatt(I think the story is about this guy, but I'm not sure) and he had to get his daughter married off, but the ubiquitous astrologer(may curses rain down upon their kind)predicted that whoever she married would die within a year. This obviously scared off all prospective grooms. To console his daughter, Aryabhatt taught her mathematics, and one of his greatest mathematical treatises was named Leelavati in her honour...Be advised, I'm not sure if the story is about Aryabhatt or one of our other mathematicians, so watch out...And yes, before you ask, we did discover the Pythagorean theorem before old Pytho himself, and remember Thales of Miletus wasn't the first scientist, it was this guy called Uddalaka Aruni, long before Thales and perhaps even Greek civilisation...


A397596 - Hypatia of Alexandria

Post 5

xyroth

I thought that hypatia was the last curator of the library of alexandria, and died defending it. still, it shows what i know smiley - sadface
She was also the inspiration of the character hypatia cade in anne mccaffrey's the ship who searched. And as for there not being any other famous women mathematicians, what about lord byron's daughter, ada countess of lovelace, who helped charles babbage with his difference engine, and was the first computer programmer!


A397596 - Hypatia of Alexandria

Post 6

John the gardener says, "Free Tibet!"

Good one Joanna. You convey the idea very well that Hypatia is someone we should take more interest in. If you could give a little bit more information about her specific accomplishments in mathematics it would be easier to understand her being placed among the greats of history.

JTB


A397596 - Hypatia of Alexandria

Post 7

Cloviscat

It probably wouldn't help me - I'm a historian, (dammit) not a matthematician - but I liked it from a biographical type point of view. Nicely laid out too smiley - smiley


A397596 - Hypatia of Alexandria

Post 8

J'au-æmne

I don't know that she should be listed among the 'greats', JTG. But I think she's important b/c I don't believe there are any women greater... not of her era, anyway.


A397596 - Hypatia of Alexandria

Post 9

John the gardener says, "Free Tibet!"

Standing out from the crowd as much as that is pretty great in my books. Nice work Joannasmiley - winkeye

JTG


A397596 - Hypatia of Alexandria

Post 10

J'au-æmne

*waits semi-patiently for something to happen*


A397596 - Hypatia of Alexandria

Post 11

amdsweb

I'm sure something will soon - this is a good entry, and is long overdue to be picked.

Any scouts out there that haven't filled their quota (as I have done)? smiley - smiley

- Adam


A397596 - Hypatia of Alexandria

Post 12

J'au-æmne

Thanks smiley - smiley


A397596 - Hypatia of Alexandria

Post 13

Gavroche

Dang it! I just filled my monthly quota yesterday. I will do what I can to get some other scouts to look at this entry. You've been waiting very patiently, and it is definitely a good one.

Gavroche


A397596 - Thread Closure

Post 14

Global Village Idiot

Hi Joanna,

As a notable figure in the history of mathematics, it is certainly right and proper for there to be a Guide entry on Hypatia. A well-written article such as yours makes an even stronger case. Add Gavroche's lobbying, and you've got an irrestistible force smiley - winkeye

So, I'm pleased to be able to tell you that the editors have accepted this item for inclusion in the Edited Guide, after (of course) the usual period for Sub-Editing and so forth. Congratulations on adding to your already impressive list of successful contributions!

GVI


A397596 - Thread Closure

Post 15

Mark Moxon

Editorial Note: This thread has been moved out of the Peer Review forum because this entry has now been recommended for the Edited Guide.

Congratulations!


Key: Complain about this post