A Conversation for Hypatia of Alexandria

Do you know . . .

Post 1

Salamander the Mugwump

Was she married and did she have children? That seems to be the main impediment to success for women (after avoiding the problems of being burned and the stake or stoned, of course).


Do you know . . .

Post 2

J'au-æmne

The Suda says she was married in one place and wasn't in another. But I'm inclined to think she didn't have children...

It says she was married to the philosopher Isidorus, but it also says she was chaste & a virgin.

I think you're right, though


Do you know . . .

Post 3

manolan


I wonder if some of the misinformation here is because of legend or political agenda.

1. Married and a virgin? Chastity and virginity have always been seen as virtues, so perhaps this is a case of her supporters building up the legend.
2. I didn't understand the comment about preventing a reconciliation between Orestes and Cyril. Why would an educated person want to avoid a reconciliation? Could this be an example of the Christians justifying her death by portraying her as a trouble-maker?

That's the problem with these early histories, too little corroboration.

Also, small point, Orestes would be a governor rather than govener.


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more