A Conversation for Hypatia of Alexandria

The little I know of Hypathia.

Post 1

Mylock

I first heard of Hypathia many years from Carl Sagan's 'Cosmos', where although she has only a few paragraphs, I have always regarded her as one of the greats of that time.

Here are some things, Sagan say's about her that might shed a little more light.

He describes her as the last scientist to work in the library and was a mathematician, astronomer, physicist and the head of the Neoplatonic school of Philosophy.

He also states, 'By all accounts she waa a great beauty. She had many suitors but rejected all offers of marriage.'

In addition to the reason you gave for the enemity between her and Archbishop Cyril he continues, 'and because she was a symbol of learning and science, which were largely identified by the early Church with paganism. In great personal danger, she continued to teach and publish, until, in the year 415'.

After her death, her works were detroyed and her name forgotten. Cyril was made a saint.

Hypathia was the last and possibly the most courageous of a long line of ancient scientific greats. With her death, so the great Alexandrian library disappeared, and the dark ages began.

Hope that helps.


The little I know of Hypathia.

Post 2

J'au-æmne

Thanks very much, thats really helpful.


Key: Complain about this post

The little I know of Hypathia.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more