A Conversation for The Bull Outhouse

Can anybody hear me ?

Post 101

Eilis

Hello, SeaN

I don't click endlessly between screens. I go back to "my space" and look on the left and that's how I know if there have been any new messages in the threads in which I've been posting.

After posting here I did some ironing and when I came back it told me there were two new postings: from you and $quigs (who appears to have morphed into "voicebearer" in the interim.)

Cheers to you both.

And on the subject of h2g2 I've just seen a preview of the new film version. Now that's something I really don't like the look of!!

Love'n hugs from your big sis.

Eilis xx


Can anybody hear me ?

Post 102

Katy Tulip

But SeaN, don't be so down-hearted, and you also Squirrel. There's a whole discussion going on over at The Hub (I'll see if I can find Peet's link to it), and the new ML won't be like this apparently. AFAIKS, it'll have some semblance of time-order, they're discussing 'email me' buttons, the colour will be similar to the old ML, emoticons can be zapped at birth by Keri.... True, thread readers lose out because there's no tree structure. But to be perfectly honest, this format is loads better than the POV boards, now there's dire for you!

Must be off to do some much needed tidying up soon.

Hugs,

Katy


Can anybody hear me ?

Post 103

Sea Nymph

Hiya sis

It tells you there are new messages, that's fine.It doesn't show you what the messages are or who has posted them.So instead of being offered a drink from my big sis, I find I've walked into a full blown row between SF and MEM and wish I hadn't bothered.AND I have to watch 100 threads at once, all on different pages, giving me no scope at all for my usual hit and run one-liners.

Oh and Katy, apparently what we are being offered WILL be more like the PoV boards, or so I've been led to believe by Peta when she came to ML.

I'm with squigs.I'm finding it all pretty grim.I know it does work, sort of, but I don't like it.


Can anybody hear me ?

Post 104

Phantom

Answer to original question - Yes smiley - ok

Answer to the last thread - that is one clever Moo, I think she should come a re-design all our spaces for us!

LP


Can anybody hear me ?

Post 105

Eilis

SeaN

It's quite obvious that no matter what I say it won't make any difference to how you feel. In my experience if you go into any new experience holding your nose you won't enjoy it.

Eilis


Can anybody hear me ?

Post 106

Sea Nymph

I AM trying, Eilis.

A techy pal of mine said that they wouldn't introduce a new platform which didn't do everything the old one did and more, and that I 'feared change' in an appropriately spooky voice.

Every time I look in here, I find a new little trick.It's a question of getting stuck in.I'm becoming less despondent about h2g2, but wonder if from what Peta said, this is what they have planned for ML or whether it's going to be a bastardised form of this.If the latter, I can see the value in everyone abandoning TA boards altogether and carving out a space here.

Much more wait and see than doom and gloom about this now.


Can anybody hear me ?

Post 107

Eilis

Never mind, I've just bought you a drink in the Bull, GUS!!

Eilis smiley - peacedove


Can anybody hear me ?

Post 108

Gill Bee

Am I in the right place?


Can anybody hear me ?

Post 109

Sea Nymph

Right place for what, Gill? This is a bit like an iceberg or a duck.It's all going on under the surface.


Can anybody hear me ?

Post 110

Gill Bee

Just been trying to work out what everyone in the Bull is going on about!

Have we decamped over here or are we still in the Bull most of the time?


Can anybody hear me ?

Post 111

siouxsie

Peet

Thanks for all your patience yesterday. It is all beginning to make some sense and I have now found the links you mentioned. I'll get there eventually.
Su


Can anybody hear me ?

Post 112

Sea Nymph

While ML is still the way it should be, then you'll always find Mustardeers propping up the bar.This is just an attempt to get to grips with the new technology before the boards as they are fold and the boards as they'll be come online.


Can anybody hear me ?

Post 113

moo

There'll always be a Mustardland
And Mustardland shall be free
If Mustardland means as much to the bbc
As Mustardland means to me.


Can anybody hear me ?

Post 114

lindak

Ohh Moo! I'm lost, I think I'll go back to The Bull....smiley - wah


Can anybody hear me ?

Post 115

moo

It's scary at first, but honestly, once you've played around a bit it gets easier.


Can anybody hear me ?

Post 116

Nelson Gabriel

Well, it's just a message board after all, no problems, just a bit of practice


Can anybody hear me ?

Post 117

Peet (the Pedantic Punctuation Policeman, Muse of Lateral Programming Ideas, Eggcups-Spurtle-and-Spoonswinner, BBC Cheese Namer & Zaphodista)

Hey Gill, Linda, Nelson - glad you found us!

If you've got any questions, I should be here for about an hour...


Can anybody hear me ?

Post 118

Sea Nymph

I've got a question, Peet.These coversations that I'm subscribed to, how many will my page list and is there a finite time old conversations will remain up there if no-one posts on them for a long time?

BTW where are all the cephalopod chats, can't believe there aren't any.


Can anybody hear me ?

Post 119

Word-Lover

I find that, if I want to read the most recent messages in a conversation, I must click on one of little red blobs by the "Previous List" and "Next List" links. This sends a request ending something like skip=100&show=20. Does this mean that, as a conversation gets more and more messages, it'll take longer and longer to call up its most recent batches of messages?

A way to combat this would be to be more eager to start new conversations (rather than continuing old ones), but then we have the problem SeaN mentioned, that it would be hard to find what's going on with many conversations running at the same time.


Can anybody hear me ?

Post 120

Jane

and so have I - haven't worked out what all the 'friends' stuff means yet tho'

Jane


Key: Complain about this post