A Conversation for The Bull Outhouse

Brain Candy

Post 1

Peet (the Pedantic Punctuation Policeman, Muse of Lateral Programming Ideas, Eggcups-Spurtle-and-Spoonswinner, BBC Cheese Namer & Zaphodista)

Hokay, here's a small but amusing diversion...

(This only works if you've originally registered with h2g2...)

Copy the link below, and paste it into your browser's address bar. Don't bother clicking it, as it just won't work...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/plain/UserDetails

In the section marked "Stylesheet", paste the following:

http://www.peet42.plus.com/hootoo/mustard.css

Check that the button marked "White" is... er... checked.

Click "Update Details" and see what happens. smiley - evilgrin


Brain Candy

Post 2

moo

Good grief!


Brain Candy

Post 3

moo

It's even go the little "text only" option on the left of the screen


Brain Candy

Post 4

Peet (the Pedantic Punctuation Policeman, Muse of Lateral Programming Ideas, Eggcups-Spurtle-and-Spoonswinner, BBC Cheese Namer & Zaphodista)

smiley - smiley

It's not perfect, but if you can do that sort of thing unofficially just think how much better the BBC will be able to do it. smiley - wow

You'll notice a few minor problems, like the fact you don't get the list of smileys under the posting box. smiley - erm


Brain Candy

Post 5

Word-Lover

I must be missing something here. What do you mean by "you've originally registered with h2g2"? Everyone here must have registered with h2g2 in order to post.

I see no difference. Is there some other condition or step that you're not telling us? (I'm using the Brunel skin, BTW)


Brain Candy

Post 6

Peet (the Pedantic Punctuation Policeman, Muse of Lateral Programming Ideas, Eggcups-Spurtle-and-Spoonswinner, BBC Cheese Namer & Zaphodista)

W-L, if you first registered with The Hub, Points of View or any of the other DNA boards then there's a fair chance this doesn't work on your account.

When you copy-and-paste that first URL, does the form have an extra "Stylesheet" field?


Brain Candy

Post 7

Word-Lover

It does indeed.

Actually, when I downloaded that page a second time (just to check, for this reply), your CSS /did/ come into effect. I don't know why it didn't when I clicked on "Update Details" the first time.

Nice work. Thank you, Peet.


Brain Candy

Post 8

Peet (the Pedantic Punctuation Policeman, Muse of Lateral Programming Ideas, Eggcups-Spurtle-and-Spoonswinner, BBC Cheese Namer & Zaphodista)

No problem; it amused me for a couple of hours... smiley - geek

I've spotted a few flaws (footnotes are pale blue, for instance! smiley - blush) but I'll have to patch them later. At the moment it's about 90% functional.


Brain Candy

Post 9

H2G2 Mustardland Mustering Station

Peet, I've done what you said, but zilch. smiley - sadface

I think that's because I back came here via the POV boards....

Katy


Brain Candy

Post 10

H2G2 Mustardland Mustering Station

Peet, it works now, all I had to do was click on your first link, and then on 'Update my details'. But it doesn't stay when I log out, any idea why? I logged in to H2G2 with this ID, so it should work permanently, shouldn't it?

Confuzzled,

Katy


Brain Candy

Post 11

Peet (the Pedantic Punctuation Policeman, Muse of Lateral Programming Ideas, Eggcups-Spurtle-and-Spoonswinner, BBC Cheese Namer & Zaphodista)

Do you have cookies enabled?

Actually, ignore that question. I logged onto a friend's machine earlier, and it came up Mustard first time. smiley - erm

smiley - weird


Brain Candy

Post 12

H2G2 Mustardland Mustering Station

Peet, it works all the time now when I log back in with this ID. I'm not going to try and fathom the whys and wherefores. I haven't tried it out under my KatyTulip ID yet though, and suspect that'll be more difficult as I came via POV with that one.

It feels so nice, thank you so much!!!!

:D Katy


Brain Candy

Post 13

Peet (the Pedantic Punctuation Policeman, Muse of Lateral Programming Ideas, Eggcups-Spurtle-and-Spoonswinner, BBC Cheese Namer & Zaphodista)

There'll probably be a couple more minor tweaks tomorrow (little things like making footnotes readable... smiley - laugh ) but generally I'm quite pleased with it, particularly with how little time it took to do. smiley - geek


Brain Candy

Post 14

Katy Tulip

Hey Peet, guess what, it works for this ID too!!!!

Mwah,

:D Katy


Brain Candy

Post 15

Peet (the Pedantic Punctuation Policeman, Muse of Lateral Programming Ideas, Eggcups-Spurtle-and-Spoonswinner, BBC Cheese Namer & Zaphodista)

Mwah indeed. smiley - evilgrin


Brain Candy

Post 16

Tallulah B

Who is this Brian Candy person anyway?

T xx

(and is that the title of a forthcoming book by Oolon Colluphid..? smiley - winkeyesmiley - tongueout)


Brain Candy

Post 17

Peet (the Pedantic Punctuation Policeman, Muse of Lateral Programming Ideas, Eggcups-Spurtle-and-Spoonswinner, BBC Cheese Namer & Zaphodista)

smiley - nahnah


Brain Candy

Post 18

Tallulah B

Don't mind me, Peet, I'm just skittish cos I managed to make 42 from my U-number!

T xx


Brain Candy

Post 19

Peet (the Pedantic Punctuation Policeman, Muse of Lateral Programming Ideas, Eggcups-Spurtle-and-Spoonswinner, BBC Cheese Namer & Zaphodista)

smiley - biggrin Not a problem, Tallulah... I'm off to bed now, anyway. smiley - yawn

Have you tried out the Mustard skin yet? (Instructions at the start of this thread! smiley - geek)


smiley - zzz


Brain Candy

Post 20

Tallulah B

Me too with the sleep thing, Peet!

Yep I did take a look, and how soothingly familiar it all looks smiley - smiley

..if ya can call mustard soothing. Good work anyhoo! smiley - ok

Must say, I've become fond of the GOO now!

G'night,
T xx


Key: Complain about this post

Brain Candy

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more