FrontPage Archive - April 2005

0 Conversations

[Prev]part of an unofficial archive of h2g2 front pages[Next]

1 April 2005

An aye-aye.Animals Under Threat


In 1985, Douglas Adams was in Madagascar looking for a possibly extinct lemur called the Aye-aye. Finding the creature alive and well, Douglas, working with zoologist Mark Cawardine, undertook research on a whole host of other endangered and possibly extinct animals. The result of this was what would become Last Chance To See - the Radio Series and Book.

Cook up a Storm


It's filling, economical, tasty and can be nutritious if you wish - and, we're relieved to note, it has absolutely nothing to do with the hefty soft-rocker in the frilly shirt. Today we introduce you to An Easy Way to Make a Meatloaf.

4 April 2005

Eggs.Eggscellent Advice


Chefs on television always make cracking and separating eggs look as easy as drinking a cup of tea. They do it with one hand, two at a time, all while talking to the camera. The rest of us might struggle with this but fear not - masterful meringues can be yours every time as we explain the process of Cooking With Egg Whites.

The Waiting Game

Buses in Bristol, UK can take you anywhere in the country, especially if your destination's in the south-west of England - but you're not always assured an easy journey. We explain the pros and cons.

Let's Rock


Since their debut EP, Opiate, in 1992 they've become a hard-rocking musical juggernaut, combining powerful guitar riffs with melodic vocals. We introduce you to Tool - the Band.

5 April 2005

A car in a huge pothole caused by the Kobe earthquake.Natural Disaster


On the morning of 17 January, 1995, an earthquake hit the Japanese city of Kobe. Reaching 6.9 on the Richter Scale, the earthquake was actually a fairly middling-sized one - however on this occasion the event claimed the lives of over 3000 people. Read on to find out the reasons why The Kobe Earthquake was such a terrible disaster.

Not Something You Can Fly On


When deciduous trees have lost their leaves in winter, have you ever noticed birds' nests perched in the branches? Well look more closely, because you might actually be looking at a bundle of shoots caused by a fungus nicknamed Witches' Broom...


Chips With Everything


All of us here at h2g2 love nothing more than a nice plate of chips - but we'd never heard of an intriguing variation served up in Québec. Discover the recipe for Poutine, a Québecois Speciality and give your tastebuds a treat!

6 April 2005

The Amman skyline.Tempting Travel


The capital city of Jordan (no, not her), Amman is a city of contrasts - more modern and up-to-date than Jerusalem, but less well-known for its historical monuments than, say, Cairo. Find out the best ways to get there along with handy hints and tips for the traveller in Amman, Jordan - A Short Guide.

Recounting Running


The 1908 Olympic Games were held in Shepherd's Bush, London - in fact, the h2g2 offices are situated directly on top of where the stadium used to be! Read the fascinating story of one of the competitors in those games - Dorando's Marathon.

Tasty Thai Treat


Another delicious recipe for you today - this time, an intriguing mix of warming soup combined with the exotic tastes and smells of Thai cuisine. If you've got guests coming to visit, why not read How To Cook Spicy Thai Style Fish Soup?

7 April 2005

A thumb, protected by a mighty thimble.Lifting a Thumb


When Russell Crowe battled an arena full of hardened warriors in the film Gladiator, you can be sure he felt grateful for his armour. In much the same way, if you're using a needle at any point, you'll want your digits to be fully protected. Discover how The Humble Thimble will keep those 'ouch'es at bay...

They Got Both Types of Music...


If you ever find yourself down Texas way, there's a venue you just have to find. Playing Country and Western, The Broken Spoke, Austin, Texas is one of the last remaining genuine Texan dance halls...

8 April 2005

Two musical notes and a treble clef.Songs of Innocence


For generations, parents, grandparents, aunts and uncles have passed on their favourite childhood songs to their children, grandchildren, nephews and nieces. In fact, most Traditional Children's Songs of the UK were written anonymously by poets with a flair for how children learn, as many of these songs have an educational value as well as being a lot of fun to sing.

Girl Trouble

Tenchi Muyo! is a Japanese animated series following the escapades of a high school boy whose quiet life is turned upside down when several beautiful young ladies from outer space arrive, move into his house and instantly fall in love with him...


Druze Control


They're an enigma wrapped in a puzzle; a faith limited to a hereditary membership that may have been a race before it became a religious entity, whose origins can be traced to 11th-Century Egypt. Today we introduce you to the Druze.

11 April 2005

A volcanic geyser blows a jet of water into the air.Thar She Blows!


Those of us who watched the recent BBC One docu-drama about the supervolcano underneath Yellowstone National Park will no doubt be eager to read more about this fascinating - if somewhat worrying - subject. With its rivers of ice, grand canyons, thermal springs and constant earthquakes, The Geology of Yellowstone National Park is a much more interesting topic than it first sounds!

Living In A Box


No, not the classic 80s pop group with their hit 'Living In A Box' (original, huh?) - this article is actually about American illusionist David Blaine's recent stunt, in which he sealed himself in a transparent box for 44 days. Read David Blaine: 'Above The Below'.

Therein Lies A Tail...


Lately, we've featured quite a few entries on the construction and flying techniques of kites. Here's another one to add to the list - and it's advice on adding Tails For Single-Line Kites. Bet you didn't know you could use broken videotape, did you? No, neither did we...

12 April 2005

A pinata horse.Smashing Time


A piñata is a hand-made papier-mâché and cardboard model decorated with brightly coloured tissue paper, designed to be filled with sweets, small toys and treats. But to get at the treats, you have to smash the model. Get ready to stage A Game of Pinata for the next Bank Holiday - and mind those fingers!

Let There Be Light

Photographic Metering is the method by which a camera or light meter assesses the amount of light available and decides how long to expose the film to produce an image. Read on to find out more...

13 April 2005

A chatty budgerigar with a book.Talk to the Animals


The budgerigar is a parakeet, a small long-tailed parrot native to Australia. It is by nature a very sociable bird living in large flocks in the wild and this is one reason why, when a single budgie is kept as a pet, it will build a strong bond with a caring and attentive owner. Today we provide you with all you could need to know about Selecting, Taming and Training a Budgie to Talk.


Forgotten Heroes


Many Germans did not support Hitler, and a courageous few took active stands against Nazism. The names Niemoller and Schindler are widely known but there was also a strong Youth Resistance in Wartime Germany.

14 April 2005

The silhouetted head of rock star Eddie Van Halen - graphic by Community Artist Lentilla.Ready, Eddie, Go!


He's one of the best-known figures in the history of rock and heavy metal music and a true American icon. Yet, he wasn't even 'born in the USA' - he and his family originally come from the Dutch city of Nijmegen. Read our new Edited Guide entry on Eddie Van Halen - Guitarist.

Mole, Mole, Go To Your Hole...


A mole isn't just a small furry animal that digs up gardens, you know. It's also something that chemists find impossible to live without. To find out what they use them for, why not read The Mole (Chemistry)?

15 April 2005

The silhouetted head of a person in a cinema.You've Been Framed


When 'letterboxing' first came to home video, many viewers were confused by the black bars at the top and bottom of the screen. 'Why, half the picture's missing,' they'd cry, unaware that because of the difference in shape for film and TV images they were actually geting more of the picture than they'd previously done. It's all to do with Traditional Film Formats and Aspect Ratios, apparently.

Slide, Charlie Brown. Slide! (Or Maybe Not)


We Brits don't understand Baseball. We reckon it was created out of revenge for Cricket. In fact, we're so clueless, even Getting to First Base is beyond us. Thankfully, someone thought to tell us all about it...

A Song and a Drink


Our final entry introduces us to a man who was at the heart of Texan music an the founder of a legendary bar there. This weekend, we salute Kenneth Threadgill - Country Musician, Businessman and Bootlegger.

18 April 2005

An envelope powering its way through the now-defunct underground railway.Express Delivery


As well as the London Underground and subterranean mainline services, London is home to another set of train tunnels which run 70 feet under the streets of central London between Whitechapel and Paddington. The entire tunnel network is 23 miles long, was used up until May 2003, and was built for one purpose: to deliver the post. Today we reveal all about The Post Office Underground Railway.


Global Empire


You would be hard-pushed to find a country that does not contain one of their restaurants somewhere within its borders - but the company was started in the first half of the 20th Century by two brothers - neither of whom was named Ronald. Enjoy A Brief History of McDonald's.

Running Up that Hill


The letters or numbers applied to a climb to show how difficult it is perceived to be can be arbitrary and confusing, but they remain the best way for a climber to choose a climb that is within his or her ability, and warn of any possible tricky spots along the way. We look at Climbing Grades.

19 April 2005

A woman wearing a bowler hat, silhouetted against a bright light. Graphic by Community Artist Jimster.Come Let The Music Play...


It's one of the best-known and loved stage and screen musicals of the past 30 years, despite dealing with the rise of the Third Reich as one of its key themes. Featuring songs as familiar as Money (Makes The World Go Round), Wilkommen, Maybe This Time and of course the title track, learn more about the decadent glory of Cabaret - The Musical.

Living With Lizards


Apparently keeping a pet is a sure-fire way to lower your stress levels and generally make you a nicer person. So forget tame domestic animals and go exotic next time: read Captive Care of Leopard Geckos to find out more.

Sophisticated Suffolk


There's far more to the county of West Suffolk than you might first imagine. If you're en route to places like Cambridge or Felixtowe, why not stop off for a while at the charming historic town of Bury St Edmunds, a thriving community since 630AD?

20 April 2005

Two men strolling across a yellow cornfield. Graphic by Community Artist Jimster.Hope Against the Odds


Today we look at a book written in 1936, at the height of the Great Depression, which portrays the way in which, despite being systematically crushed as a consequence of depressed circumstances, human spirit still survives. A work that incorporates both optimistic and pessimistic undercurrents, it's John Steinbeck's Of Mice and Men.

Proceed with Caution


Many activities should only be undertaken with extreme caution after alcohol is imbibed, and it's with that in mind that today we present The Drinking Circle Survival Guide.

Blast from the Past

Millisle, County Down, Northern Ireland is the type of village that was a popular resort in the 1950s, when holidays in Spain or the Canary Islands were completely unfamiliar to ordinary people.

21 April 2005



(old items and some adverts)

A hand holding a mobile phone with h2g2 on the screen. Caption reads: Don't panic - now you can have h2g2 in the palm of your hand.

A hitch-hiker's thumb beckoning a lift.Douglas's Brother's View!


You're probably all aware that the long-awaited feature film version of The Hitch-Hiker's Guide To The Galaxy is due to hit cinemas next week. Find out what Douglas Adams' brother James thought about the movie by reading his Review of the Film...

22 April 2005

A snake's head.
The Edited Guide is the heart of h2g2 - that's where we collect the best in factual writing on all manner of subjects, from comic books, films and pop music to historical figures, scientific discoveries and introductions to different religions. Here are today's brand new additions to the Edited Guide:

25 April 2005

Bronze Age Man uses his loaf.

26 April 2005

A Canadian Mountie's hat.

27 April 2005

A statue of Buddha meditating.

28 April 2005

A selection of wedding dresses.

29 April 2005

London buildings consumed by fire.
[Prev][Index][Next]

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A3852380

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

References

h2g2 Entries

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more