A Conversation for LIL'S ATELIER

109Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 261

Titania (gone for lunch)

Currently watching Sherlock, and he says 'it's Coventry all over again, isn'ti it?'

And I have a nagging feeling that I ought to know what he's referring to, but it keeps slipping out of my mental grasp. Any ideas?


109Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 262

Vip

I haven't seen the latest Sherlock, but Coventry is often a WWII reference. The Prime Minister knew that Coventry was a bombing target, but made the decision to not evacuate in order to keep the secret that the British had cracked the coded message that ordered the bombing raid.

I have no idea quite how true this actually is, but it's a well known story.

Does that sounds like it fits the situation?

smiley - fairy


109Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 263

Vip

A bit of research seems to show me that lots of bits of the story are myth!

smiley - fairy


109Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 264

Titania (gone for lunch)

Well, the bombing obviously took place, so it would be the 'knowing beforehand' part that would be a myth then?

Googling, I found this rather nice pic of the ruins of the Coventry Cathedral:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/7/79/Coventry_Cathedral_Ruins_with_Rainbow_edit.jpg


109Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 265

Florida Sailor All is well with the world

The World War II bombing of Coventry appears to be the obvious answer, But I believe we are talking about Sherlock Holmes here?

In that case he 'lived' long before the war. I have read several references to being 'put into Coventry' in pre-war works which involves isolating someone by refusing to speak to them, usually in a boarding school.

I am not sure about the origin of the term, but I recall it had something to due with military duty in an isolated area.

F smiley - dolphin S


109Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 266

Titania (gone for lunch)

The TV series I'm watching were first broadcasted in 2010 and is set in '21st century London':

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1475582/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1


109Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 267

Titania (gone for lunch)

*awake at stupid o'clock having woken up frustrated from an illogical
l dream, unable to go back to sleep since that continues the dream from where it left off*

And I even recognize the place - a studio flat in my home town. I've never lived in a studio flat, and I've never seen one like this in RL, so I've no idea how comes it keeps popping up in my dreams as the place where I live.

Anyway, anyone know of a safe site to download Logitech keyboard/mouse software from? The update lost the settings and is using some sort of Windows standard drive.

I tried logitech dot com, but couldn't find a download. Tried donwloading their SetPoint, but it can't find my keyboard/mouse.


109Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 268

Titania (gone for lunch)

And I can't find the CD that came with them - been rummaging through my drawers finding lots of games I'd forgotten I had smiley - blush but no Logitech CD.


109Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 269

SiliconDioxide

{The fool has forgotten how to do the disappearing ball trick. The red and white ball appears glued to his right hand, however many times he presses it to his ear}

Perhaps Logitech have not seen fit to support your rodent on the new operating systems? Do you have a model number (the names are almost useless because the re-use them so often)? Is it wireless or wired?


109Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 270

Witty Moniker

Tim did you try to find your keyboard and mouse here?

http://www.logitech.com/en-us/support/keyboards

http://www.logitech.com/en-us/support/mice

Appropriate downloads, including Setpoint are found there.


109Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 271

Bagpuss

Very good post, Pastey. It's making me wish h2g2 had a "thumbs up" button or something, as I'd like to show appreciation whilst not having anything much to add.


Vip - I've read a few books about wartime codebreaking and as I understand it the Germans had such faith in the uncrackability of Enigma and Lorenz that when they investigated how the British had known about their movements the last thing they considered was codebreaking. Leading theories were a high-placed mole or the British having extremely high-flying spy planes.

If you're looking for brutally practical decisions from Churchill, there was the torpedoing of the French fleet in 1940 following the French surrender to Germany: http://www.scottmanning.com/content/churchills-sinking-of-the-french-fleet-july-3-1940/


There's a "What Big Bang Theory character are you?" quiz going around: http://www.zimbio.com/quiz/i8qcCDQwe_2/Bang+Theory+Character

I got Amy. I would like to take the opportunity to vehemently deny that I have any love for tiaras.


109Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 272

Vip

TiAAAraaaa, tiAAAraaa! Put-it-on-me put-it-on-me put-it-on-me put-it-on-me....

Me too, apparently.

smiley - fairy


109Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 273

Titania (gone for lunch)

I'm Bernadette:

'Big things come in small packages! Small in size but packing a punch, you've had to fight for everything you've got in life. You know what you want and aren't afraid to say it, and your friends know you're the one to come to when they really need something done.'

Well, parts of it are amazingly correct.

And thanks Witty, but I have a wireless set; EX110. No downloads avaiable on the Logitech site for each item separately.

I think I'll try solvusoft dot com


109Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 274

Asteroid Lil - Offstage Presence

*dozing, in that limbo state where one is lightly asleep, yet aware of the conversation in the room*

*DEFINITELY not drooling*


109Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 275

Beatrice

I got Raj, rather bizarrely. I always think of myself more like Amy.


109Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 276

Tavaron da Quirm - Arts Editor

I'm Sheldon smiley - erm not sure if I should be happy...

'You've been a wunderkind for longer than you can remember. While you're always the smartest person in the room, you have a hard time connecting with people sometimes. But that doesn't matter, you'll be the leader of a new race of cyborg-humans soon enough. Bazinga!'


109Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 277

Milla, h2g2 Operations

Howard Wolowitz. Not sure how I feel about that.

smiley - towel


109Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 278

8584330

Sheldon Cooper. smiley - erm The quiz's underlying assumptions appear flawed.


109Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 279

Tavaron da Quirm - Arts Editor

Helloooo! smiley - cuddle Good to see you back.


109Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 280

Milla, h2g2 Operations

Happy Nerd! smiley - boing *happydance* smiley - hug

smiley - towel


Key: Complain about this post