A Conversation for LIL'S ATELIER

9FXth Conversation at Lil's

Post 121

gandalfstwin OGGMSTKMBGSUIKWIATA

[GT]


9FXth Conversation at Lil's

Post 122

Montana Redhead (now with letters)

Well, D has flown back to Arizona. It gets harder every time, but I'm going to see her in a couple of weeks, and then a couple of weeks after that. So it's okay, but dang. I miss my kid!

D and I have some seriously meaningful conversations when she's here. Usually late at night, and usually ending when one or the other of us decides its getting a bit *too* heavy and cracks a joke. Usually something completely silly.

This time, our silliness had to do with a mishearing of something. One of the things that I miss about living with someone else (kid, partner) is that when you have an itchy back, there's no one to scratch it. So I take full advantage of her being home. She was scratching my back (hey, I do hers too!) and she asked me I was going to start pumping my leg. I heard it as something else entirely, and we laughed until we cried. It was awesome!


9FXth Conversation at Lil's

Post 123

Phil

A good time with the D smiley - smiley


9FXth Conversation at Lil's

Post 124

Titania (gone for lunch)

Spring equinox? Drat, missed that *looks out at still knee-deep snow*

Meltmeltmeltmeltmeltmeltmeltmelt smiley - zen


9FXth Conversation at Lil's

Post 125

David B - Singing Librarian Owl

Sounds like a great time with D . smiley - smiley

The shows are now over, and for the first time in about 3 years, I don't have another one to move straight on to. This is, probably, a good thing, but a bit odd. The two Saturday performances went well, apart from the dance routine in the matinee where one of my contacts came out, which through a chain of events led to much pain and redness and an inability to put contacts in again until the evening performance. The second half of the matinee was unbearably uncomfortable for me.


9FXth Conversation at Lil's

Post 126

Mrs Zen

Ouch David. smiley - wah I have felt that pain.

Did anyone else notice that the population in that studied were all college students? The deeply meaningful bulls**t I and my peers spouted at college gave us deep joy, but I wouldn't like to extrapolate from that to the rest of the population. Just saying.

Ben


9FXth Conversation at Lil's

Post 127

Todaymueller

[Tod]


9FXth Conversation at Lil's

Post 128

Magwitch - My name is Mags and I am funky.

Ooh, David, ouchies smiley - yikes

I'm glad you had a good time with the D, MR. Not long 'til she'll back smiley - hug

Spring is definitely here, sunny skies and warm(ish) temperatures here. Might a go at clearing the front garden in a bit...


9FXth Conversation at Lil's

Post 129

Good Doctor Zomnker (This must be Tuesday," said GDZ to himself, sinking low over his Dr. Pepper, "I never could get the hang of Tuesdays.")

Morning all.


9FXth Conversation at Lil's

Post 130

Titania (gone for lunch)

Good old fashioned smiley - seniorsmiley - disco

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XET-lEV1T8s&feature=related


9FXth Conversation at Lil's

Post 131

Asteroid Lil - Offstage Presence

Might have been bullpuckey, Ben, but it was DEEP bullpuckey. And when else are you thrown together with your peers in shared accommodation, studying the same abstract/literary/metaphysical stuff?

I think if you have a neighbor or two who likes to talk abut stuff in the abstract then you're lucky. Landlady and I can "talk deep" but we have extremely different views of the world and I have to be careful where my ideas wander. My family's politics and culture, when I was growing up, were of the Reader's Digest Condensed Books variety.

Even at university you can strike out. I had a roommate one year whose idea of group activity was going to the mailbox with six of her friends to post a letter. I can still remember one of those friends grousing about having to read Madame Bovary. Didn't see the point.

It was in the 70's, in Brum, that I struck it rich, conversationally, when I joined Mensa and discovered an exceptionally interesting group of people in that town. The discussions I had with people in that group were some of the most creative, deep and stimulating I have ever enjoyed.

In my serial emigrations, I've kept in touch with comparatively few people, but, now that I think about it, those few are the ones with whom I can talk deep.

And I got youse guys. smiley - smiley


9FXth Conversation at Lil's

Post 132

lostmonalisa

i'm so worried about my daughter, who's in her first year at university. She's got a room mate from hell, a boyfriend she'd be better off without and school to deal with. I wish i could just wrap her up in a big batt of cotton and protect her from all the hurt.


9FXth Conversation at Lil's

Post 133

Milla, h2g2 Operations

smiley - cuddle Lml... Poor kid. Hug her when you can, and I'm sure she'll make the necessary changes when she can.

smiley - towel


9FXth Conversation at Lil's

Post 134

lostmonalisa

I will.... i'm trying to support her, let her do the right things .. hope she does the right things.


9FXth Conversation at Lil's

Post 135

Magwitch - My name is Mags and I am funky.

smiley - hug not long left, lml, give her love (I'm sure you will smiley - smiley) In time, all this will pass.


9FXth Conversation at Lil's

Post 136

Santragenius V

smiley - hug lml

Back from a very good weekend - and yes, I do feel the wind, light and water (about twice what they predicted before I left - thank Bob for Goretex, my Tilley Hat and well-waterproofed boots!) on my face and the general weekend in the rest of my body. 13 and I agreed that our new down sleeping bags are quite fab!

Happy travels and safe returns to all the other being-away-from-home Salonistas.

Will try to read and view links later - sounds good but I'm just too smiley - sleepy


9FXth Conversation at Lil's

Post 137

Montana Redhead (now with letters)

lml, I think that's our first instinct with our offspringÉprotect! And dang, it's hard to not do that...


9FXth Conversation at Lil's

Post 138

lostmonalisa

I know that time will take care of most of the things that she's facing right now. I try to remind her of that. Next year, she'll have different room mates (she'll be living off campus) and things will settle out.


9FXth Conversation at Lil's

Post 139

FG

And I'm back too! Just got out of the shower after three days of hiking, lazing around in the early spring sun drinking smiley - ale, puttering around in the woods, and admiring the fresh mouse turds on our bunk beds, plates, coolers and clothes in the old Forest Service cabin every morning. smiley - yuk

Naturally, I'm washing everything that came in contact with said meeses. smiley - mouse

<>

Deep conversation/strange personal admission time! When I lived at home with my parents, my mom and I had a routine from the time I was very, very small. While watching TV, we would sit side-by-side on the couch and scratch each other's back for five minutes at a time, up to a full hour of scratching. Oh, how I miss this. As an adult, I've tried to get my, uh, boyfriends to do this, but all have refused.

Which just goes to show I have horrible taste in men. smiley - silly


9FXth Conversation at Lil's

Post 140

Mol - on the new tablet

We were often told off for 'kibitzing' as children, usually when my (champion) father and uncle were playing scrabble and we wandered past and suggested words they might play. As they thought nothing of scoring 78 with two carefully-placed tiles managing to create three words nobody else had ever come across, we were wasting our time anyway.

Lovely spring day here - I now have a totally weed-free back garden, and have planted the first four roses in our rose garden at the front.

Mol


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more