A Conversation for LIL'S ATELIER

9FXth Conversation at Lil's

Post 101

Mrs Zen

This has been amusing me, though the pictures are slow to load.

Lolpeople for grownups.

http://unhappyhipsters.com/

Ben


9FXth Conversation at Lil's

Post 102

Blue-Eyed BiPedal BookWorm from Betelgeuse (aka B4[insertpunhere])

smiley - cool
Lil:
The article about meaningful conversations struck a chord with me. Thanks.
You know I usually kibitz around, tell jokes, insert puns, and even engage in virtual “sight gags” and “slapstick” while here. All in an effort to entertain and keep the tone light-hearted. I don’t anticipate that’ll change, yet I will endeavor to dig a little deeper in the topics I put forth or comment upon. The write-up in the article also highlighted a short-coming I’ve let creep into my marriage and family life.
smiley - erm
These parts of the article stood out for me:
“By engaging in meaningful conversations, we manage to impose meaning on an otherwise pretty chaotic world,” Dr. Mehl said. “And interpersonally, as you find this meaning, you bond with your interactive partner…”
“A conversation about a TV show wasn’t always considered small talk; it could be categorized as substantive if the speakers analyzed the characters and their motivations, for example.”
smiley - eureka
The first part pointed out to me that--though we have had seventeen years together--my wife and I still seem to fall short in heart-felt, in-depth, constructive communication. We have ~moments~ when we just don’t see eye-to-eye, and it takes some serious renegotiation to get us both back on track and in each other’s graces. Thankfully, we most often use the Bible as our ‘standard’ for resolving the problems, so neither of us has to bear the brunt of the blame. With the article’s prompting, though, I realized a modicum of daily “maintenance”--by engaging in more substantive interaction--will surely prevent the misunderstandings we’ve encountered over the years.
smiley - hug
The second part helped me realize our daughter could use the additional prompting from us to analyze the myriad inputs from her environment (i.e., movies, TV, anime series, friends, school) and draw some lasting conclusions. This would help her mature even more and equip her to deal with adult decisions.
smiley - diva
Thirdly, I realized if I did the same delving into the technical aspects of my job at The Plant, then I’d greatly enhance my ability to do my job and build a stronger rapport with my co-workers in the department. Since I’ve been training as an I&C Tech for the last year, I’ve often felt I’m going at it alone. It’s only because I haven’t reached out and challenged my co-workers, or asked them to hold me accountable for my progress. The change begins today.
smiley - ok
So…thanks for the link to the article. Since--just like Ormondroyd--I recently turned fifty, I’ve been doing some soul-searching to determine if my life is turning out the way I expected or if my actions are beneficial for those around me. For the most part, I give myself a ‘yes.’ Little tweaks like I experienced from your input today will help me shrink down the ‘unknown’ region of my personal Venn diagram, so I can resoundingly say “YES!”
smiley - applause
B4ihave2workonscalingbackonmyverbosityaswell


9FXth Conversation at Lil's

Post 103

Magwitch - My name is Mags and I am funky.

Camaris has set up his journal:

He is U14391430


9FXth Conversation at Lil's

Post 104

lostmonalisa

I love that article about meaningful conversations. I find small talk to be tedious, but i'm careful about who i engage in "real" conversations with. I sometimes get told that i think too much. I love the atelier, for the conversations we have here, and for the weather reports as well. lol


9FXth Conversation at Lil's

Post 105

Spaceechik, Typomancer

One of these days, I'll remember to check in before the first 100 posts. Sigh.

No blue fuzzies in my future, though. I hope. smiley - winkeye

*smiley - runs to read the backlog*


9FXth Conversation at Lil's

Post 106

Eatsmice

I know where you're coming from B4. I have to have humour in my day, otherwise my head doesn't work. But sometimes in conversation the person I'm talking to makes a comment that stops me dead in my tracks, backpedal rapidly, analyse what was just said and throw the lighthearted words out the door. That moment when you just know it's time to be mature.

We dropped the ashes of a retired squadron member over the sea today. It was a moment when the hard work, banter and enthusiasm took a break. Nice words from the Padre and crew and away he went.

smiley - cat


9FXth Conversation at Lil's

Post 107

Montana Redhead (now with letters)

Eats, what I like about what you did today is that the service member in question was retired, and therefore, died of natural causes, rather than being 21 and killed in sandy places. That always feels a bit lessÉabrupt.


9FXth Conversation at Lil's

Post 108

Good Doctor Zomnker (This must be Tuesday," said GDZ to himself, sinking low over his Dr. Pepper, "I never could get the hang of Tuesdays.")

[GDZ]


9FXth Conversation at Lil's

Post 109

Titania (gone for lunch)

Morning all - sunny and reasonably warm

http://unhappyhipsters.com/post/384190955/not-on-the-grass-sweetie-never-on-the-grass


9FXth Conversation at Lil's

Post 110

Z

[z]


9FXth Conversation at Lil's

Post 111

Eatsmice

You're right MR. There was a warmth about the simple ceremony without the terrible sadness present in all the more recent funerals. A smile rather than heartache.

A bit cloudio today, but bright and warmer. Sending some meltmeltmeltmeltmelt eastwards to those that need it.

smiley - cat


9FXth Conversation at Lil's

Post 112

Teuchter

That was very thought provoking, B4 smiley - cuddle

Today's paper had a couple of photos which made me think about the loss of young human lives. There was an article about military awards, including a posthumous George Medal awarded to Captain Daniel Shepherd of the Royal Logistics Corps. One of the pictures was of his wife, taken when his body arrived back in the UK. The anguish on her face says it all. smiley - rose


9FXth Conversation at Lil's

Post 113

aka Bel - A87832164

[Bel]


9FXth Conversation at Lil's

Post 114

Bagpuss

Phew, finally made it. Such a pain when I turn up and find the conversation abandoned for two days and have to hurry over to the new one.

B4 - I can't remember anyone using the term "kibitz" outside bridge circles before.


9FXth Conversation at Lil's

Post 115

Asteroid Lil - Offstage Presence

Ach! Snow on the ground this morning, and more expected, with temperatures in the teens of Fahrenheit.

Listening is difficult, starting with listening to oneself. I think we move through a thicket of assumptions, the rattling branches of which sometimes obscure what another person is actually trying to tell us.


*stops to admire her new firefox skin, which features bands of lush not-oregano*


9FXth Conversation at Lil's

Post 116

Magwitch - My name is Mags and I am funky.

Grey dismal and generally, meh today and I've got to work later. smiley - sadface Just want to fiff and faff about really.

On the plus side, me and K have just made some mini egg topped crispie cakes for film night later, we're watching The Yellow Submarine. smiley - rainbow J, my eldest son, has specifically requested it.


9FXth Conversation at Lil's

Post 117

Todaymueller

Late again, but not fashionably so. Back to the backlog smiley - run


9FXth Conversation at Lil's

Post 118

Metal Chicken

It's a typical Autumn day here of fog, drizzle and mild temperatures. smiley - erm It's just the crocuses that give away it's actually the Spring equinox.

Interesting words there about the beneficial effects of frequent meaningful conversation. It takes effort to listen and and respond thoughtfully, something it's easy to get out of the habit of when everyday concerns take up so much time. Worth making the effort more often online and offline.

MC


9FXth Conversation at Lil's

Post 119

Eatsmice

smiley - cat


9FXth Conversation at Lil's

Post 120

Good Doctor Zomnker (This must be Tuesday," said GDZ to himself, sinking low over his Dr. Pepper, "I never could get the hang of Tuesdays.")

[GDZ]


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more