A Conversation for LIL'S ATELIER

66Xth Conversation at the Atelier

Post 541

dElaphant (and Zeppo his dog (and Gummo, Zeppos dog)) - Left my apostrophes at the BBC

Americans are fascinated with where we originated, and yes I do think that stems from so many of us being descendants of immigrants. Growing up and comparing stories in school, there was always one unfortunate kid who's family had been in the US so long that they did not know their origin. We always felt sorry for those kids, unless they could claim to be Native Americans or Pilgrims.
smiley - dog


66Xth Conversation at the Atelier

Post 542

Gw7en, Voice of Chaos (Classic)

I can't speak for anyone else, but the reasons that I know my family history is twofold: 1) my parents are both history buffs and 2) so am I. smiley - winkeye


66Xth Conversation at the Atelier

Post 543

Coniraya

In my case Dad started to do the family tree. With the advent of the internet he contacted a local geneology group in Bristol and got so inundated with stuff that he was overwhelmed! We also have family papers dating back to 1757.

On the Welsh side it is a little harder as the surname is exceedingly common, so much so that it was the normal practise to incorporate you middle name, e.g. David LLoyd George, Catherine Zeta Jones. Then it became fashionable (again the Victorians) to stick a hyphen in, so you can have four brothers all with apparently different surnames. Dad just gave up the struggle in the end.


66Xth Conversation at the Atelier

Post 544

Garius Lupus

Some of the suggestions for civil union contracts, etc sound great, but I don't think they would work. It would mean that people would be much less committed to their partner. If you know that you have an easy out in 5 or fewer years, you're not as willing to work to solve problems in the relationship. And every marriage has its rocky moments, but because the married couple has made a commitment for life, they do the hard work and work it out and usually emerge on the other side with a stronger bond. I know that there have been times in my own marriage when we would have split, if not for the vows we made, and now we are very happy that we stuck with it.


66Xth Conversation at the Atelier

Post 545

Blue-Eyed BiPedal BookWorm from Betelgeuse (aka B4[insertpunhere])

smiley - biggrin
Well said, GL. I've experienced the same things in my marriage. Better, stronger, faster now. [Um...does that sound like the intro to "The Six Million Dollar Man"?]
smiley - erm
B4irunat80mph
smiley - cool


66Xth Conversation at the Atelier

Post 546

LOOPYBOOPY

Viagra B4?


66Xth Conversation at the Atelier

Post 547

Garius Lupus

One measure of the committment a couple has to a marriage is whether they still have separate bank accounts. You know, his money and her money. To me, if that is the case, then they haven't made the committment to being a team, with common goals. For me, all money in the marriage is "our" money, regardless of its source, and we both decide how it is spent.


66Xth Conversation at the Atelier

Post 548

Courtesy38

[{Courtesy}]


66Xth Conversation at the Atelier

Post 549

Hypatia

d'E is right about Americans being fascinated with family history. Our genealogy department at the library is always busy. Some of the people who come in are absolutely obsessed with it.

Three of my four grandparents were born in the US. My paternal grandfather was born in Odessa, Ukraine. Going back another generation, two great grandparents were born in England. I don't know when any of the others emigrated to the US. My paternal grandmother was Cherokee on her mother's side and English on her father's. My maternal grandfather was English and my maternal grandmother was English and Scottish. So I'm a mutt.


66Xth Conversation at the Atelier

Post 550

FG

It seems like we all agree that love, to quote Martha Stewart, is a good thing. smiley - smiley

It is off topic, but I have a question for the other American salonistas (and anyone paying attention outside the US): How do we feel about John Kerry potentially being the Democrats' pick to run against Shrub?


66Xth Conversation at the Atelier

Post 551

Demon Drawer

I think the Irish county is a really good option to beat about .... I mean to beat the shrub. He has the experience in the senate unlike Clarke and Edwards is only in his first term, which gives mainstream credence. Also unlike Dean that is in the hothouse of Washington not stuck in spendid isolatioin of New Hampshire as with Dean. I think the voters are also starting to recognise that at the moment which is why he is 2-0 and the other are yet to score.


66Xth Conversation at the Atelier

Post 552

LOOPYBOOPY

Gavin Davis the chairman of the BBC governor's has resigned.
That's good in my opinion. Good for hootoo and BBCi and the whole corporation.


Hidden

Post 553

Demon Drawer

Actually make that

Bush=Shrub

Kerry=Irish County
Dean=College leader
Edwards=Triple Jumper
Clark=Shoes

That will add a little interest to our discussions on that subject. smiley - winkeye


66Xth Conversation at the Atelier

Post 554

Good Doctor Zomnker (This must be Tuesday," said GDZ to himself, sinking low over his Dr. Pepper, "I never could get the hang of Tuesdays.")

[GDZ]


66Xth Conversation at the Atelier

Post 555

Hypatia

One talking head I listened to yesterday said that Irish County won't be able to carry a single southern state in the general election, so is unable to beat Shrub.

I like him. Our primary is next week and I intend to vote for him.

One encouraging thing for those of us wh would like to replace Shrub, is that the turnout was so heavy in both Iowa and New Hampshire. That bodes well for any Democrat.

Also, Shrub has refused matching funds which means he can spend an unlimited amount on his campaign. So has Irish County, who happens to have very deep pockets. He could hold his own financially in the campaign.


66Xth Conversation at the Atelier

Post 556

Z

On the subject of money and marriage, perhaps it's a sign of my deep cyncism about marriage being an insitution that should be valued, that I don't think that combining money is a good idea. It only makes it easier for people to get left in a when things end. And one more thing to row about.

Talking of cynicism A and I were disucssing that we don't think we'd ever trust anyone enough to have a joint bank account,or a joint morgage, with a partner, (a friend would actually leave in a civil way rather than just walking out and leaving you in a mess), or unprotected sex.

Everyone I've ever known who has trusted someone enough to share their money or bodliy fluids has ended up being hurt, it seems to me that there's a very tiny chance that you wouldn't be hurt so it's only sensbile not to get too entangled with someone. Saves money for the divorce lawyers.


66Xth Conversation at the Atelier

Post 557

Montana Redhead (now with letters)

DD, that's just too confusing for me. However, my smiley - 2cents on FG's question.

I hate it. Kerry and Edwards are my least favorites. I still like Dean, but am now thinking I like Wesley Clark. The man has some seriously good ideas that will, unlike most other plans, actually WORK. My ideal ticket would be Dean/Clark or Clark/Dean (don't care who's actually prez). Dean is extremely stong on domestic policy, and Clark is an expert on foreign policy. I would be thrilled by that ticket.

Kerry makes me nervous, and he once said, in reference to the Iraqi war, "at least I'm not French." That's more than enough to put me off. And his support of invading Iraq, and then backpeddling (oh, I was misled by the faulty evidence) just makes me wonder about his backbone.


66Xth Conversation at the Atelier

Post 558

Demon Drawer

That would need a nice balanced ticket. If Irish County picked say Triple Jumper as a hop, step and jump partner. Triple Jumper has too little experience to uproot Shrub. But the combination might just work with the combination of experience, charisma etc.


66Xth Conversation at the Atelier

Post 559

Montana Redhead (now with letters)

oooh, that would be almost as bad as Shrub and Cheney.....

Okay, can I be honest? ANYONE but Bush in 2004.


66Xth Conversation at the Atelier

Post 560

Hypatia

Perhaps he was misled by the evidence presented to him by the administration, MR. The entire nation was lied to. The French comment was unfortunate, but not a disaster. It will probably gain him more votes than it loses him.

I'm like MR only different. smiley - smiley Dean and Clark are my least favorites. I want someone who can beat Bush, and I don't see either of them doing it. Especially not Clark.


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more