A Conversation for LIL'S ATELIER

85Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 1941

Gw7en, Voice of Chaos (Classic)

Thank you, Lady C. I am glad that it wasn't anything more serious. Although if I had known that already, I would have saved some money and gone to my regular doctor today. smiley - winkeye

Typing one-handed is odd. Just thought I'd mention.

My parents are spending three weeks travelling in Scotland this summer, including one week where Daddy will be doing services.


85Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 1942

Santragenius V

>Lil, perhaps you need my patent moebius list paper
So do I! smiley - grovel (smiley - laugh)

>but I didn't like seeing the sun rise at 9 and set at 3:30
Please remmeber not to take residence in Denmark during the winter, then...smiley - winkeye At Uni, we had these three-week courses twice a year, daily from 8-5. The June ones were fine - the January ones meant that we were seeing daylight once per day at lunch. When we were lucky.. (is it just me or am I reminding me about a Monty Python sketch here? smiley - silly)

There's this quote on my space - a quick excerpt: "The sun won't shine tomorrow, maybe not the next day. You have arrived in a land where Christmas means more than in, say, Barbados; it is the last outpost on the long grim trek toward spring."

Yeah.

Tillykke med fødselsdagen, Sig.S smiley - bubbly

I like Glasgow. But then, I've spent more time there than I care to think about (at that time, my wife cracked up every time I spoke "English" smiley - winkeye) and merely been to Edinburgh twice. A fine city, sure - but I think I am rather aligned to Ben's thinking. (note: Paisley isn't the most interesting of places, btw.....)


85Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 1943

Good Doctor Zomnker (This must be Tuesday," said GDZ to himself, sinking low over his Dr. Pepper, "I never could get the hang of Tuesdays.")

[GDZ]


85Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 1944

Teuchter

I have worked in Paisley. Nice people but that's about it.

Getting out of Glasgow is easy, Marv. Mr T is more au fait with western parts, north of Glasgow - so I shall ask him, when he's back from Edinburgh. I kid you not - that's where he's been today.

Ben - don't you dare leave us. Ever.

Or I shall come up there and personally reconnect you smiley - biggrin

It seems you're not the only one who's finding the site less than it used to be. The place has a definite air of Marie Celeste about it; names and tags which used to be found all over the place on a regular basis are now seldom seen.

And the site is the worse for it.


85Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 1945

Ben

I'm not leaving.


85Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 1946

Lady Chattingly

I just picked the most beautiful smiley - rose. It is the first bloom of the season on my Chrysler Imperial. (Which just happens to be the only tea rose in the yard.) It has two more blooms opening and several buds. I think I might expand the rose bed to include a yellow rose as well.

Today has been a rather quiet, laid-back day. I like those. smiley - smiley


85Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 1947

Asteroid Lil - Offstage Presence

What Teuchter said. It's sad.

On Saturday I was being an administrative assistant as the commission planned a date for a retreat. We all suddenly realised that I was insisting that the date would be June 25th, while everyone else said 24th. There was confusion until I looked closer and noticed that the diary I was using showed eight days in the second week of June. Really! Somehow a number had been added between the Monday and Tuesday, skewing the whole month.

I should add, this is one of those thumbnail months at the bottom of the page, not a wall calendar. What's more, it was the only instance of June being wrong in the whole book. I had managed by chance to open up the book to that one page.


85Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 1948

J'au-æmne

{[j'au]} seen seldom


85Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 1949

Good Doctor Zomnker (This must be Tuesday," said GDZ to himself, sinking low over his Dr. Pepper, "I never could get the hang of Tuesdays.")

I greatly dislike 3 things currently: headaches, lack of sleep, and my left knee.


85Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 1950

Mr. Cyde: The Tearer and Master of Bad Jokes.

Gw7en, I'm not going to say anything about one-handed typing.


85Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 1951

Gw7en, Voice of Chaos (Classic)

Ah, if only it were the fun one-handed typing, Mr Cyde. But instead it's because I'm in a splint and sling. smiley - tongueout


85Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 1952

Mr. Cyde: The Tearer and Master of Bad Jokes.

Sorry to change the subject for a moment but I've been searching for a while and can't seem to figure out how to start my own conversation. I'm sure you can all probably tell me how. I just need to know.
Thanks


85Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 1953

Good Doctor Zomnker (This must be Tuesday," said GDZ to himself, sinking low over his Dr. Pepper, "I never could get the hang of Tuesdays.")

Why would you want to start your own conversation?

Journal entries, Mr. Cyde.


85Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 1954

Lentilla (Keeper of Non-Sequiturs)

Mr. Cyde, you could always have a conversation with yourself!

> You see, the circus is in town, and their keepers thought the elephants would like to be out of their cages, and enjoy the pleasantly moist spring morning

FG, it's theorized that the famous picture of the Loch Ness Monster is actually a picture of a submerged elephant's trunk. The provenance of the photo indicates it was taken in Scotland around the time a circus from India was in town. Just like with your elephants, the handlers liked to take them to bodies of water so they could cool down and relax.

> In theory you can make paneer at home, because it is milk curdled with lemon, but I've never tried that.

Ben, you can indeed make paneer at home - I do it often. It's a bit of work, but it's fun too. The work part is making the cheese. You take half a gallon of milk and heat it until boiling on the stove. Then when it's bubbling, take it off the heat and add lemon juice. The whey separates out from the milk solids, and you get proto-cheese. You have to strain the mess through cheesecloth. After that's done, wrap the dairy solids in cheesecloth and set it in the strainer, and put something heavy on top of it to press all the liquid out. When it's done it should feel a little drier than soft-curd tofu. Press it out and cut it into 1 cm cubes, then fry until brown on all sides. Phew!

After all that, you take your bits of chopped garlic and onion, and fry those on the stove until transparent in a bit of veggie oil. Add turmeric and ground coriander to the transparent veggies, and bloom the spices. Add a cup of chicken stock and mix until the liquid looks a bit brown and gravy-like. Then add a package of frozen spinach, thawed and drained. After the spinach is warmed through, add the fried cheese cubes and gently stir them in.

This is all from memory because I've managed to misplace my recipe... darn it! There's probably something I'm leaving out. I usually alter the amounts of the onion and garlic to suit my tastes, anyway.

> I'm in northwest Austin, near 183 and 360

Gwen, that's a nice area. I used to go to Westlake High School, but it's because my dad taught there for a number of years. My parents still go to Shepherd of the Hills Christian Church, on Shepherd Mountain.

> They've managed to put cheese in spray cans? How does that work then?

E-Z Cheese is surprisingly good - for what it is. It's a fluid cheese, probably something like Cheese Whiz, that's ejected from the can with an aerosol propellant. When it comes out it's a squiggly tube of soft cheese, unless the can isn't working right, and then you get a of cheese. If you've ever had whipped cream in a spray can, it's very similar. I like the sharp cheddar and cheddar-and-bacon varieties.

And now I see that everybody else has knocked cheese-in-a-can, and rightly so. On the can it says 'Cheese Food' so I've decided that it's what farmers feed the cheese.

> So K and I have decided to do that mile run for Sports Relief in July!

Caerwynn, good for you! Amy, that's a good time!

> I have just tried the fat free cream cheese

Bleah. I've tried the low-fat whipped cream cheese, and it was pretty bad. And not that much lower in calorie than regular cream cheese. These days, I eat real or not at all. Unless it's EZ Cheese. SpaceCadette is right, and Neufchatel cheese isn't bad - it's usually packaged as lowfat cheese. And for low-fat sour cream, Hypatia, try lowfat non-flavored yogurt.

> The official prognosis: Peripheral Nerve Damage. Whee...

That doesn't sound good... but I guess it could be worse!


85Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 1955

Agapanthus

*Staggers in from the theatre, worries about G&'s arm, harrumphs in sympathetic outrage for Ben, toasts the assembled crowd with smiley - redwine and staggers out again, heading for bed.*


85Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 1956

Hypatia

I am going to have to take back some curtains I bought last Friday. They just don't look good. smiley - sigh Then today I bought some cushions that I was sure were perfect for the chairs on my back porch, but they are too big. So they'll have to go back as well. And about a half hour ago my garbage disposal gave up the ghost. Other than that I've had a good day. I had a chance to wear my new hat. smiley - smiley


85Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 1957

Hypatia

I nearly forgot. The pump went out on my fountain in my new little pond.

Titania isn't around much any more. smiley - sadface


85Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 1958

Asteroid Lil - Offstage Presence

I was thinking that too, especially after Teuchter's earlier remark. Hati's gone into lurk mode, dw2 and B4 never come round lately, we only see Ormy and Grey Desk once in a great while, Mr went away, Munchers seems to have his hands full with real life, Courtesy has disappeared, and does anyone else besides me remember Mac and his pugs?

I think we lost Peripatetic Warrior Monk about the same time we lost eatsmice, and for the same reason.

It's also time for David B to check in and reassure us.

Amy gives me worries every time she drops out of sight.

And I never stop missing Garius Lupus. smiley - sadface

Sometimes it's like being in one of a small group of lifeboats. Periodic hallooing required for peace of mind.


85Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 1959

Gw7en, Voice of Chaos (Classic)

Truly.


85Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 1960

Good Doctor Zomnker (This must be Tuesday," said GDZ to himself, sinking low over his Dr. Pepper, "I never could get the hang of Tuesdays.")

I don't think my death could stop me posting. Web-jello sure can though!

Good night all.


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more