A Conversation for LIL'S ATELIER

World Book Selection

Post 121

Blue-Eyed BiPedal BookWorm from Betelgeuse (aka B4[insertpunhere])

smiley - cool
On top of being a true comedy of situation(s), Jerome K. Jerome's book, "Three Men and a Boat", is replete with visual imagery that stands far-and-away above most works of fiction. His descriptions of the countryside, the people, and the events of the time evoked a true sense and flavor of the culture of the day. I found myself savoring every nuance of the phrases he crafted to immerse the reader in "being there" at every scene. It was as if I were sitting with him in his Drawing Room, letting him recount for me over a glass of Brandy the full scope of the adventure he and George and Harris and Montmorency had so recently finished. He waxed eloquent on quite a few topics, only to end each dissertation with a witty jibe. Apart from grinning during his telling of each escapade, there were points at which I laughed out loud--full bouts of laughter that literally shook me to my soles. All things considered, if J. goes out on the river again any time soon, I'll insist on accompanying him! Who could stand to miss it?
smiley - cheers
B4ipackmytravelbag
smiley - towel


World Book Selection

Post 122

Coniraya

Sounds like a trip for the summer.

Several Salonistas, one Ant, one Labrador, one Bunny, at least Four Cats and two Unau in a Boat.

With extra space for anyone I've inadvertantly left out of the title.


World Book Selection

Post 123

Garius Lupus

smiley - fullmoon

I quite enjoyed the book, although current events put a bit of a damper on it when I was nearing the end. I found the end a bit abrupt, although funny and totally in keeping with the characters. The ghost stories, though were really out of place. Are they always printed with the book? Did everyone's copy have them at the end?

I went on and read "To say nothing of the dog". As Munchkin says, it is excellent - a great time travel book. I'd highly recommend it. smiley - biggrin


World Book Selection

Post 124

Garius Lupus

"To say nothing of the dog" is by Connie Willis, in case anyone was wondering smiley - winkeye


World Book Selection

Post 125

Phil

My copy only had the main story - it was a cheap imprint of out of copyright works smiley - smiley
I did like the story and could relate to quite a few of those situations - untangling ropes, putting up tents, drinking.
Of the characters I did just keep thinking of Sporky and Munchkin. One the founder of the Lazy Bsmiley - stards and the other our own resident victorina man.


World Book Selection

Post 126

Munchkin

Ah, I but wish smiley - smiley
Anyhoo, found this http://www.forgottenfutures.com/game/boat/boat.htm which is a copy with the original illustrations.
I particularly like the end as it fits in entirely with the characterss attitude of the minimum discomfort. And no, my copy didn't have any ghost stories at the end either.


World Book Selection

Post 127

Titania (gone for lunch)

I've been wondering about some things...

Is Jerome K. Jerome quoting someone every now and then - or is his writing style the kind that you use for quotes?

*checks her Palm bookmarks*







Warning! Possible spoiler for those who haven't finished reading yet!








"Slowly the golden memory of the dead sun fades from the hearts of th cold, sad clouds"

Re: packing
"we must not think of the things we could do with, but only of the things tht we can't do without"

"It all seems cheese" (I know I've seen this elsewhere)

"It is a part of the river in which to dream of bygone days, and vanished forms and faces, and things that might have been, but are not, confound them." smiley - laugh

And what is 'cynosure'?

What does 'Babes in the wood' refer to?smiley - huh

And I just love the expression 'once-upon-a-timeyfied'!smiley - biggrin

...and the absurdities, like 'The pool under Sandford lasher, just behind the lock, is a very good place to drown yourself in" - now, there's an interesting piece of info!smiley - weird


World Book Selection

Post 128

Blue-Eyed BiPedal BookWorm from Betelgeuse (aka B4[insertpunhere])

smiley - tit
Titania: 'Babes in the wood' does NOT refer to illegitimate children conceived in out-of-the-way places. It characterizes a certain naivete or innocence in the harsher realms of this world. Think of how a small child might feel lost in a dark and gloomy forest.
smiley - biggrin
B4ilosethetrailofbreadcrumbs


World Book Selection

Post 129

Mac (having trouble typing with a pug dog in his lap)

I love Jerome's style. Some of his sentence structure id downright Adamsesque. Is this the style of the period? It feels as if he's parodying other writer's styles.


World Book Selection

Post 130

Titania (gone for lunch)

It's an odd mix of story telling and poetry - and I do love those historical tales!smiley - smiley

I googled for the Babes in the Wood - and came across a panto!smiley - biggrin

http://www.bbc.co.uk/wiltshire/going_out/theatre/bath_panto.shtml


World Book Selection

Post 131

Metal Chicken

(Hope's you don't mind me unlurking to join in smiley - smiley)
I loved the way nothing much really happens in the present and the vast majority of the book is little anecdotes, side tales and reminiscences. Wonderful observation and characterisation (including Montmorency). I did also wonder if the various styles of his stream-of-consciousness wandering where parodies of notables of the day but I'm not familiar enough with Victorian literature to spot any.
A good read though smiley - smiley


World Book Selection

Post 132

Coniraya

As far as I know all the places are still there on the Thames that are mentioned in the book.

But some areas ar quite built up now. Cookham and Runnymead are still nice picnic spots. Boulters Lock still gets very busy on a summer's day.


World Book Selection

Post 133

Witty Moniker

I love the way J. makes note of a peccadillo in one of his companions and completely fails to notice the same fault in himself.


World Book Selection

Post 134

Mac (having trouble typing with a pug dog in his lap)

I agree with Witty. Don't you just love that completely straightfaced bit about J.'s hypocondria in the first chapter? And how he waxes poetic about how he was daydreaming when he steared the boat into the fishing punt? Jerome makes fun of himself wonderfully, and he never admits that he's doing so.


Key: Complain about this post