A Conversation for H2G2 Space Centre

Hangar Infinity-Where Destiny Lies

Post 401

soeasilyamused, or sea

there, there, dear. easy now. i don't approve of it either.

did i mention that i found out i'm part american indian?


Hangar Infinity-Where Destiny Lies

Post 402

Uncle Heavy [sic]

Sorry, I thought thanksgiving was some kind of barstardised Christmas. I'm part lithuanian, as it happens. Should you care.


Hangar Infinity-Where Destiny Lies

Post 403

So Long and Thanks for all the Fish(Deceased)

why is it that us Europians always feel compelled to find a country kill every one then setle there, I can never work it out


Hangar Infinity-Where Destiny Lies

Post 404

soeasilyamused, or sea

we have christmas too... it's a separate holiday.


Hangar Infinity-Where Destiny Lies

Post 405

So Long and Thanks for all the Fish(Deceased)

oh fine ignore me


Hangar Infinity-Where Destiny Lies

Post 406

soeasilyamused, or sea

i thought it better not to comment, since i'm not european and therefore wouldn't know.

but if you want my hypothesis on the issue, it may be because the world is run by men, and when men get bored, they go out and break/conquer/steal/create things.

but then, that's just my opinion.


Hangar Infinity-Where Destiny Lies

Post 407

Uncle Heavy [sic]

Or shag things. Don't forget the shagging.


Hangar Infinity-Where Destiny Lies

Post 408

Lord Byancbaldich a.k.a. Ancba, posting as Flopsy the Catrabbit coz he's in the Unknown Regions

The Chiss usually follow that pattern. Though we always convince a species to allow us to live there, when we can. Convincing someone makes them let you. Slaughtering someone makes them resent you.


Hangar Infinity-Where Destiny Lies

Post 409

So Long and Thanks for all the Fish(Deceased)

so it's basically us males get bored so we kill stuff?


Hangar Infinity-Where Destiny Lies

Post 410

Yowuzupman- New Top Speed 122 (thats mph you metric fools)

I actually prefer to drive really fast and then to wined down either: Blow something up, burn something, or play some computer game


Hangar Infinity-Where Destiny Lies

Post 411

So Long and Thanks for all the Fish(Deceased)

really? well good for you


Hangar Infinity-Where Destiny Lies

Post 412

NYC Student - The innocent looking one =P

I'd have to say that it is NOT in fact a male thing, but specifically a European thing. Not even all Europeans, per se, but Northern and Western Europeans. No other society has such a rampant patriarchy and religious dogmatism. No other country in the world made such an extensive system of colonialism, imperialism, and 'Manifest Destiny'. In fact, every other world spent all their time advancing the arts, the sciences, and culture (where do you think the Renaissance originated from?), to their eventual demise (since the Europeans spent the last 2000 years finding new ways to bash each other's skulls in...).

...and for all intensive purposes, the USA is considered a European country.


Hangar Infinity-Where Destiny Lies

Post 413

HappyDude

balls its a world thing - its just that in recent times (historicaly speaking) the Europeans had better weapons technolage so they were more successful. But were the Mongals European ? Were the Zulus (Who had carved out a very nice Empire for themselves until they met the Europeans) European ? And What about Easter Island where the tribes fought each other so much that they wiped themselves out, and Finaly were the Aztecs European ? I could go on but I think you get the point.


Hangar Infinity-Where Destiny Lies

Post 414

soeasilyamused, or sea

[sea] i STILL maintain that it's a male thing.


Hangar Infinity-Where Destiny Lies

Post 415

HappyDude

Well the thing is males have used the higher physical strength to maintain a dominant role in socitey up until recently, which has ment the female being kept off the battlefild - however those few that have made it proved very successful Joan of Arc, Boadica etc.


Hangar Infinity-Where Destiny Lies

Post 416

NYC Student - The innocent looking one =P

men have the muscular physique BECAUSE they fight. Men fighted, women cared for children. That was the general idea for roles. However, in terms of Mongols, Zulus, Japanese, Aztecs, and such, at least they knew something else BESIDES war!

The Japanese are and have always be much cleanlier and health oriented than the Europeans. The Aztecs developed a great calender system, established public works and governed huge tracks of lands jutting all over South America, built highways through SA, and developed stepped farming techniques to higher distances. They outdid the Spanish lifespan by more than 20 years!

The only contribution the Europeans had to technology and medicine was what they got from the Chinese! SOMEHOW no other country seemed to be having these huge plague wiping out populations, these atrocious living conditions, and that damned feudalism and Catholicism! We can thank the Europeans for the broadsword, the rifle, the nuclear bomb, the concentration camp, the...

*NYC babbles on until sea knocks him out with a baseball bat*

[sea] it was a male thing.


Hangar Infinity-Where Destiny Lies

Post 417

HappyDude

I belive the Nuclear Bomb was an american invention ?


Hangar Infinity-Where Destiny Lies

Post 418

NYC Student - The innocent looking one =P

"...and for all intensive purposes, the USA is considered a European country."

America's natives account for 0.01% of the country's current population. Former Englishmen, Germans, Irish, and Italians account for 65-75% of our population. We are a European nation.


Hangar Infinity-Where Destiny Lies

Post 419

HappyDude

No your not - many of your citizens are of European decent - however you have gone on to form a culture that is distinctly your own and very un-european.


Hangar Infinity-Where Destiny Lies

Post 420

NYC Student - The innocent looking one =P

...said the Brit.

just because we're still majorly of British descent, are still 80% Christian, 100% English speaking colonialists (like the old country) who got our political and economic structure by the Brits, we are distinctly different? Not nearly as different as American and... Indian! Not quite as different as American and... Brazilian! Not anywhere in the general VICINITY of the difference between the Americans and the Laotians!

We are Europeans in morals, politics, society and economics. When people come here, they don't just throw their history away, they change America to their liking! Rread up on our history, why don't you...


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more