A Conversation for Tequila Slammers

mezcal

Post 1

Skorpio

Actually i think it is mezcal that is halucinogenic - it's the one with the worm in the bottle.


mezcal

Post 2

Jan^

But Absinthe makth the heart grow fonder..... hic!


mezcal

Post 3

Jan^

I've checked with a friend in Wyoming who is well versed in tequila law, and mescal (note spelling) is the same drink as tequila, i.e. made from the mescal cactus, but has an added worm (or if you are really unlucky, half an added worm). So now you know.
P.S. it is not usually hallucinogenic - probably depends on the species of worm


mezcal

Post 4

Keef

Tequilla isn't made from cactus, according to the cuervo gide to tequilla (it came free on the bottle!) it's made from the blue algarve desert lilly.


mezcal

Post 5

Psilo

Correct, and mescal cacti are definitely not used in Tequila!! These cacti contain mescaline which is a strong hallucinogenic, much akin to LSD and psilocybin.


mezcal

Post 6

Skorpio

thats what i said, so i was right.


mescaline

Post 7

C

yep, that's the one that's a natural hallucinogenic. erm, I mean, why would I know that. oops, having another flashback, sorry


mezcal

Post 8

FrEaK_wAvE

and where could I get hold of these cacti?


mescaline

Post 9

Spartus

I'm not here. Didn't see a thing. smiley - winkeye


mezcal

Post 10

Big Red

Actually the worm in the bottle is just that. However it is reputed to feed upon the peyote cactus, the source of the hallucinogen Mescaline (not mezcal!).


mezcal

Post 11

Ganjaman35

What a load of Tosh. Youre going to hallucinate if you drink enough of anything, exept watery drinks like Lager etc.
I`ve done my fair share of Tequila bashing, and its never allowed me any hallucinatory experiences.


mezcal and hallucinogens

Post 12

Researcher 104548

Mezcal is a distilled drink made from various species of agave - a plant related to the lily. It has no psychotropic or psychedelic properties whatsoever. The association between mezcal and drugs comes from an unfortunate similarity between the words mescal (peyote) and mezcal (agave, or maguey). However, aside from their like sounds, any other relationship is pure imagination.

The worm is actually a butterfly larva called a gusano, which lives on the agave. It, too, has no psychedelic effect. There are actually two different caterpillars used, a red and a white one. Neither is a traditional additive to the drink - it was the result of a successful marketing ploy from the 1940s (see www.mezcal.com for details). You can eat it without any side effect.

For more information, surf over to www.georgian.net/rally/tequila.

Cheers
Ian


mezcal worms

Post 13

Researcher 104548

No, the caterpillar in mezcal does not feed on peyote cactus. it feeds solely on agave plants, a succulent without any association with drugs. The red caterillar (gusano) feeds on the leaves, while the white feeds on the roots. Both are available as food in Zapotec markets in Oaxaca. Any association between mezcal the drink and mescal the drug is purely a hallucination on the believer's part.

See www.mezcal.com and www.georgian.net/rally/tequila

Cheers
Ian


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more