A Conversation for The Dining Hall

To sleep, perchance to dream.....

Post 81

Hypatia

If my dreams are an indication of how confused I am, then I'm in big trouble. smiley - laugh

Any thoughts on why I have stopped having a couple of recurrent dreams? I had them off and on for years and now they are both gone. One was pleasant and the other wasn't.

There is something else I have wondered about. (Sorry to keep talking about myself.smiley - erm) Why do I almost never have dreams that include my husband? We have been married since 1972, and I doubt if he has been in my dreams more than a half dozen times in all those years. We are actually very close and this puzzles me.


To sleep, perchance to dream.....

Post 82

abbi normal "Putting on the Ritz" with Dr Frankenstein

I do not dream about my husband either now that you mention it.
I did long before and about the time we first married.

I will go with the thinking- It is not a problemsmiley - ok
That is my story and I am sticking to itsmiley - laugh
***************

You have mentioned reincarnation a couple of times.
I can see why people think that is a possibility.
It is like faith in other spiritual things; you can find grey evidence to support either view.

I do not believe in it but I am very interested and have not totally closed my mind to it. I do not see a need for it.
It could help explain a few things though.

*************
I do not think it is all that common to have repeat or changing serial dreams.
I do not know if most people have them more than once or twice in a lifetime. I have had a few.

How about other people?


To sleep, perchance to dream.....

Post 83

Hypatia

Thanks for sharing that you don't dream about your husband either, Abbi. I don't feel quite so strange about it now.

Actually, I don't dream about any one person a lot. My sister probably more than anyone. The nonrelated person I dream about the most is a woman I have problems with because of my job.

I'm not positive about reincarnation, but I'm more inclined to believe it than not believe it. It seems to answer questions I've had all my life. And seems so much fairer than the Christian one shot at getting it right or being doomed for eternity belief.

I have had many, many dreams where I was another person living in another time/another place. I have read so much history that I could never say that the dreams don't come as a result of this. That's why I would never trust a past life regression to be valid for me. But the concept is intriguing and I don't think we should just dismiss it out of hand.

I have also had dreams of another time where I am myself. Maybe I have too active an imagination.

H


To sleep, perchance to dream.....

Post 84

abbi normal "Putting on the Ritz" with Dr Frankenstein

They did a news story on a small boy in the South Eastern US.
He dreamed in great detail (age 3 or 4 )about being a fighter pilot.
His parent asked him questions and then they researched all the info.
There was a pilot on that carrier and in the particular plane et.
It was a great story!
I might be able to find some information on it if you like.
There is a book also.

Whether it is a past life of this boy OR a past life of a human being in the pool of consciousness and dreams. Nothing said would exclude either concept. I have wondered about the life energy pool because knowledge of another world or life is not neccesarily helpful. At times possibly when in a similar smiley - earth situation or experiencing the same feeling maybe even to develope empathy.

Once he was 6 or 7 he began to forget the experience and the dream.
I think that is fairly common for children with special experiences (such as casually talking to departed loved ones) when they are very young.

**********
Just curious Hypatia have you been called an old soul?
I have always wanted to know how many people had been called that as a child. I have seen a child or two and had that feeling. It is seen in the eyes. As a child ;adults would get the feeling I knew what they were talking about when using emotional concepts smiley - erm Later in life when I learned about reincarnation I figured that is what they meant by me having an old soul. Still not sure though.

I had one ever so brief and creepy dream in which as the person I was watching slowly turned, I began to realize (after too long) it was me! It was a shock to not recognize myself. At that time I did not recognize myself in mirrors (from a distance or close up )that were in unfamiliar places (like stores)

I laughed so hard one time thinking about the expression - being scared of your own shadow. I jumped and squealed when I was close to my image in a mirror out of the corner of my eye and suddenly realized it was me.
It all lasted about 6 months.
I also kept using this expression when frustrated; I am beside myself!smiley - cdouble
I found my twin soon after thatsmiley - winkeyeand we had been seperated for 38 years
*************

A clear dream about my state of mind I found here on hootoo.
I had it during a lot of problems that had reached the wait and see ,be patient stage.
I was taking stock and pausing.

I dreamed about a bucket of sh**!
There were neatly laid log-like as medium starter firewood pieces in an old firewood bucket.
I looked closer and realized it was sh**



To sleep, perchance to dream.....

Post 85

abbi normal "Putting on the Ritz" with Dr Frankenstein

Oh dear , I missed a 3 day old compliment!smiley - blush
Thank you momenta.
*******
Hypatia- I never noticed I had stopped dreaming about my husband! smiley - erm Now, I wonder if that is normal!
*wanders off in a daze*


To sleep, perchance to dream.....

Post 86

Ellen

>>I'm not positive about reincarnation, but I'm more inclined to believe it than not believe it. It seems to answer questions I've had all my life. And seems so much fairer than the Christian one shot at getting it right or being doomed for eternity belief.

I have had many, many dreams where I was another person living in another time/another place.<<

Hypatia, your quote sums up how I feel about reincarnation exactly! I have noticed that as I get older, and weather more hard things in life, that I am much more inclined to not want to come back in another incarnation! The idea of just hanging around in heaven, eating chocolate pudding or whatnot, sounds nicer and nicer.

Y'all know who I dream about all the time? Ellen Degeneres! She is my name sake, and I think it is the way my unconscious gets across messages about what I am doing.

smiley - towel JEllen


To sleep, perchance to dream.....

Post 87

Hypatia

Abbi, I don't remmeber anyone ever using the term old soul to describe me when I was a kid. It would have been totally out of context for the people I knew. However, I do remember adults saying that I wasn't really a child. One aunt used to say that I was born an adult. She did this in a derrogatory way - upset that I didn't enjoy playing games with my young cousins.

JEllen, I understand the feeling about not wanting to come back. Especially when things get tough. But, to be realistic, 'what is, is'. If reincarnation is true or if it isn't, if there is a soul or if there isn't, if there is a god or if there isn't....we can't change any of it. We have to matriculate through the system, whatever it is.


To sleep, perchance to dream.....

Post 88

abbi normal "Putting on the Ritz" with Dr Frankenstein

Wow I would love having Ellen Degenerous MC my dreamssmiley - cool

I had to learn to play Hypatia. I was always content soaking up information and the adult conversations.
It did not come natural.
Until I met my hubby in my 20's and began spending all my free time in nature pursuits I really did not understand it much.
I proabaly love playing with kids and joining in on make believe games nowsmiley - laugh

Ellen has the best dreamssmiley - biggrin
It's odd to be somewhat envious of another dreamer!
Now that I say that , I remember feeling that way about the hubbys dreams. Such fun he has in some of themsmiley - ok The bad ones are were he is working then has to get up to go to work. I hated those when i had them and wish he could skip them.




To sleep, perchance to dream.....

Post 89

Hypatia

I used to have dreams where I was driving a yacht. I miss those dreams. Of course it would be better to have a real yacht. smiley - laugh


To sleep, perchance to dream.....

Post 90

Hypatia

I don't know if anyone is still subscribed to this conversation or not. But I have started having some dreams that I don't know what to make of. I have been dreaming about my husband, who is deceased. This is strange because I didn't dream about him when he fiorst dies, which is what I would have expected. Has something similar happened to anyone else?


They aren't upsetting dreams. They are really rather comforting.

Hyp


To sleep, perchance to dream.....

Post 91

Ellen

I'm still subscribed.

I hardly ever dream of anyone that has died, so don't have much experience on this one.

I did have a cool dream this week though. I dreamt I was at a costume party dressed as Charles Dickens. There were a lot of other people in costume, including people dressed as Charlie Chaplin and Abraham Lincoln. It was a fun dream!


To sleep, perchance to dream.....

Post 92

Titania (gone for lunch)

Still subscribed too.

When my father died in 1990 I had one dream right after he had died - or a nightmare, really. Someone had brought him back - as a zombie!smiley - yikes

After that, I didn't dream about him for many, many years, but then he started showing up, not very often though. In those dreams, it's as if he had never died.

I thought the reason might have been because at the time he died, I suppressed my sorrow and didn't really allow myself to grieve (couldn't take the pain, frankly).

In retrospect, I realize it would have been better to let it all out at the time...


To sleep, perchance to dream.....

Post 93

Hypatia

Hummm. Well, as you know, there wasn't time for me to grieve, even if it was a good idea. Within two weeks of the funeral we were packing the library. smiley - erm And now that I am finally having a little time to myself, it's like I missed this window of time where it is ok to grieve and be sad. I feel like I should be past all of that by now. So maybe that is why I have started to dream about him.

The thing is, in the dreams we both know he is dead. And I always ask him if he can stay for a while and he always says sure and then I wake up, so I don't know if he was actually planning on staying or not. smiley - weird


To sleep, perchance to dream.....

Post 94

Titania (gone for lunch)

My mother (who is a 'spiritual' kind of person) would probably say something like this:

Maybe it *is* your husband - or at least his spirit - and he's come to make sure you're doing alright. And that the reason he comes to you in your dreams is because he wouldn't be able to make himself noticed by you when your awake.

Not sure how much of this I believe in myself though...


Key: Complain about this post