A Conversation for The Dining Hall

All stressed out

Post 1

Hypatia

I have to find a way to deal with stress before I ruin my health. Have any of you tried biofeedback? Was it successful?


All stressed out

Post 2

nadia

What is biofeedback? Obviously I haven't tried it or I would know what it is. smiley - erm

N


All stressed out

Post 3

Hypatia

Nadia, I'm not sure I can describe it properly. I've never used it. It uses a machine that teaches you to control your breathing and your responses to stimuli. It is supposed to lower blood pressure and stress and to help you heal yourself of illnesses.

The reason I brought it up is because I recently - well about 5 months ago - bought a machine for my husband called Resperate. It plays music and is designed to teach you how to breathe properly with the intent of lowering blood pressure. I paid $300 for the silly thing and he has only used it once. I was hoping that he would use it, it would work, and we could reduce some of his blood pressure meds. He takes 11 different prescription drugs a day. All this medication makes him feel lousy, but he is afraid to stop any of it.

I'm tempted to try it myself for stress reduction. I don't know, but suspect, that this is a variation of a biofeedback program. I'm hoping that someone here has had experience with it or something similar.

Hsmiley - rainbow


All stressed out

Post 4

nadia

I think I see. I'm certainly familiar with non mechanical techniques to achive the same results. I don't have any advice I'm aftaid. I deal with stress by walking away from stressful situations. I can be a terrible coward but it is neccessary. Managing stress is an important factor for me in trying to controll my illness. I haven't found a solution yet. I've never gotten on with meditation or deep breating exercises, which is why I back away from stressful situations whenever I can and that's certainly not an ideal solution. Some stresses can't be run from. Learning to identify stress before it gets really bad can help. It's easier to combat tension if it hasn't built up too far. And obviously having a good support network is invaluable.

Do you find gardening relaxing?


All stressed out

Post 5

Hypatia

The gardening isn't as relaxing as it used to be. Partly I'm sure because I don't have any help with it anymore. There's always more to do than I have time for. Which creates stress. smiley - erm Do I mow the lawn or weed the flowerbeds?

I'm looking forward to retirement. Then I'll be able to keep all of my gardening chores done again. It's quite a way off, though. I'm old but not that old. smiley - laugh

What illness do you have? If that's too personal, just ignore me.

I have decided to try the Resperate and see what happens.

Hsmiley - rainbow


All stressed out

Post 6

nadia

No, not too personal. I have bi-polar disorder (manic depression), which can be triggered by stress.

I know what you mean with the gardening causing stress, though in a different direction. Writing can be like that for me. I love it but juggling my life so that I can give as much time to it as I need to is not easy.

Trying the Resperate can't hurt and if it helps you it might even encourage your husband to try it again. Part of the barrier to using contraptions like that is unfamiliarity (not sure that's a word).

N


All stressed out

Post 7

Hypatia

My youngest step-son is a paranoid schizophrenic. The paranoid episodes are much worse when he's stressed. Anyway, he refuses to stay on his medication, which makes it difficult for everyone involved.

I wish he had something like writing as an outlet. But he also has a learning disability. He can function quite well and hold a job (as long as he's on his medication) but he will never be a writer. His verbal skills are poor.

Why did they change the name from manic depression to bi-polar disorder? Is it more politically correct or something?

Hsmiley - rainbow


All stressed out

Post 8

nadia

Writing can be good therapy but only if it's done right. Some recent studies have shown that it is the act of revision, structuring and making sense of an initial outpouring, that is the helpful bit in theraputic terms. I don't write as specifically as therapy, at least not usually in an autobiographical sense. I have been looking back at things I wrote a few years ago (some of the pieces in the AWW among them) and I think part of the impulse to write magic realism and use folkloric elements was probably a subconscious attempt to understand my early experiences of psychosis.

I don't know if the name was changed, it might just be a popular/clinical divide or a Brit/American one. I prefer bi-polar because I have the type that is more depression than mania so manic depression sounds wrong to me.

N


All stressed out

Post 9

Willem

Hello! I'm Willem, in South Africa, and I'm struggling with paranoid schizophrenia as well. I just arrived here on The Circle but I'm liking the place. I hope I can make a contribution here and there. I'd like to say something about relaxation ... I don't know if I'm going to have time. Right now, I've been online for over six hours! This is a stressful activity for me. I should go make my food!


All stressed out

Post 10

Hypatia

Hi Willem. I'm glad you stopped by. smiley - smiley

You have a real challenge just making it through the day. smiley - hug If you ever need to talk, let me know. I don't suffer from the condition myself, but I know enough about it to be asympathetic listener. And can tell you what it's like on the other side
of the table. smiley - winkeye

Stress reduction is so important for all of us. I find this website helps me unwind and relax - sometimes. When I don't take on too much. smiley - laugh

Hsmiley - rainbow


All stressed out

Post 11

Willem

Hello Hypatia! This site is often therapeutic to me, too! I've made some good friends here - great people. But it is kinda hard to keep up with everything, especially as my internet access isn't always very fast or reliable! But anyways I'll try and get around this place, I like it.


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more