A Conversation for The Café

Aroma Cafe: Featured in the Post

Post 121

Odradek (she who lurks, green Lifesaver-like)

l don't know, really. lt almost seems to me that, thanks to electricity, running computers, we can almost recreate that candlelit drawing room, really. l mean, here we are, in the same room, essentially speaking, if not entirely physically, improving our minds and our abilities to entertain each other, through conversation. Perhaps it's not entirely the same thing, but we do get to do it sans wigs and corsets...

Sigh. But yes, it would be nice to see the stars...
*peers out RL window at the nimbus-ridden, drizzly night*
Of course, when it's this rainy, ambient artificial light matters a -whole- lot less...


Aroma Cafe: Featured in the Post

Post 122

jr52 (ting-a-)

Ox, not to worry, I am almost never offended. Hve delicate little feelings tho (to quote my Bride). Glad to be of service.

Lil, I can't remember if it's the BBC or PBS, but somebody found an old Victorian house that was still pretty close to original and interwiewed famillies and put one into it to try living that style. Haven't seen the program yet but, did see a follow up about the fillming and it seemed like the crowd was getting a bit ugly.

Anybody else see it?


Aroma Cafe: Featured in the Post

Post 123

ox


Ah, excellent conversation and company, but tomorrow will be here very soon for me.
G'night, all.

*hurries ouy into the rain*


Aroma Cafe: Featured in the Post

Post 124

Asteroid Lil - Offstage Presence

*nips down into storeroom and comes up a moment later with candles and holders*
*studs tables and counter with candles, and goes round lighting them all off a fireplace match, then turns off lights and fans*
*only the IIEM continues to glow from half a dozen red green and blue LEDs*

I'm afraid to turn the IIEM off, actually.


Aroma Cafe: Featured in the Post

Post 125

jr52 (ting-a-)

Intersting ambiance, Lil. (I''m w'you on the IIEM)

Now aren't you ladies supposed to be sewing or something whilst I smoke and pontificate.

*again checks escape routes*


Aroma Cafe: Featured in the Post

Post 126

Lintilla

Bye ox!
Yes i did see the show jr, in fact i watched the whole series. I thiught it rather funny, mostly b/c they choose the most unprepaired family they could find and they ended up needing to get a maid.

Wonderful idea Lil. I'll be right back!


Aroma Cafe: Featured in the Post

Post 127

Odradek (she who lurks, green Lifesaver-like)

*Odra's latent pyromania comes out and, unable to help herself, proceeds to play with a flickering candle -- running her finger back and forth through the fire, more slowly each time...dipping fingers in the wax, that sort of thing. Takes a straw and tries to get the flame to melt it, speaking as she does so in a distracted sort of way*

Ah...yes, the 1900 House. l saw that, jr. They keep rerunning the four episodes of it on my local public television station -- it was BBC initially, l think. Sort of like The Real World for history buffs. lt did get quite tense indeed -- seems people get a bit testy when they're not able to take hot baths for weeks on end...


Aroma Cafe: Featured in the Post

Post 128

jr52 (ting-a-)

dI personally don't see the down side of getting a maid.


Aroma Cafe: Featured in the Post

Post 129

Lintilla

*reenters the cafe, carefully rolling an upright piano through the door (and being EXTRIEMLY careful not to make holes in the roof/floor/walls etc.) Backs the piano up to a wall on the side of the cafe and pull a chair up to sit on.*
There, hope you dont mind too much Lil.
I belive that adds to the atmosphere a bit!


Aroma Cafe: Featured in the Post

Post 130

jr52 (ting-a-)

Baths on end? Aren't those called showers.

On a completely different subject Odra, Have you ever made a zilch?


Aroma Cafe: Featured in the Post

Post 131

Lintilla

You reenacted a bit before, do I remember correctly Odra?


Aroma Cafe: Featured in the Post

Post 132

Asteroid Lil - Offstage Presence

*watches the shadows move about against the walls*
Notice how you can hear the rain better when the lights are off?

That was an interesting cognitive dissonance the woman went through, unable to keep the maid because she, mom, felt as if the maid was being made to do her own (mom's) work. And yet she could stand there in the hall and fume because the maid was late in arriving!


Removed

Post 133

Odradek (she who lurks, green Lifesaver-like)

This post has been removed.


Aroma Cafe: Featured in the Post

Post 134

jr52 (ting-a-)

Oh capital idea, Lintilla. Do you play? I have absolutely no musical talent but, do love to hear others. Was able to go to the Ravinia Festival in Chicago last year and got to see/hear Sarah Wong(?) with the Chicago symphony in an open air setting. Was great. Could make you cry.

Please, do play on if you do.


Aroma Cafe: Featured in the Post

Post 135

Odradek (she who lurks, green Lifesaver-like)

l haven't really done any reenacting, Lintilla, dear, no. l can usually be found frequenting the local Renaissance festival, when it is ongoing, and may see about getting a job with them this season. And l've happened to be travelling and wound up in towns in Virginia reenacting the American Civil War, which is always interesting.
lt's even more interesting when there are so many of them, you and your friends can't find a vacant hotel room...but that's a different story...


Aroma Cafe: Featured in the Post

Post 136

Asteroid Lil - Offstage Presence

*hopes Lintilla will play Chopin, maybe even a nocturne, maybe even Opus 62*


Aroma Cafe: Featured in the Post

Post 137

Lintilla

I spoke with a fellow reenactor at Q's party and i just cant remember who now Havent had time to go back and look. Actually I am one of those crazy civil war reenactors....all summer.smiley - smiley

Yes Jr. I play a bit, but i mostly know only civil war songs, due to what i just mentioned.


Aroma Cafe: Featured in the Post

Post 138

jr52 (ting-a-)

Odra, I am somewhat leery about this but, here goes. You make a zilch out of the plastic bagging from the dry cleaners. Kinda twist it longways and the tie knowt in it about every 4 to 6 inches. Suspend from overhead apparatus (whatever is available-light rafter-etc.), put bucket of water underneath it and then light the plastic on fire from the bottom.

Zilch refers to the sound the melting/burning plastic makes as it departs the main body and makes it's way to the water and then hitting the water.

Previous life, ya know.?


Aroma Cafe: Featured in the Post

Post 139

Asteroid Lil - Offstage Presence

Re-enacting is a curious discipline, quite admirable, really. BluesSlider is a Dragoon in the King's 15th Hussars, so he goes to the continent and takes part in Napoleonic battles.


Aroma Cafe: Featured in the Post

Post 140

Lintilla

And why, may I ask does one make a zilch?smiley - smiley


Key: Complain about this post