A Conversation for Dealing with Pre-menstrual Syndrome and Period Pain

Are there any alternative therapies?

Post 1

World Service Memoryshare team

I mean herbal tea and stuff seems to do so much good that, is there something that I can help us all?


Are there any alternative therapies?

Post 2

Wejut - Sage of Slightly Odd Occurrences and Owlatron's Australian Thundercat

I suffer from the terrible bad mood swings and I often feel like my uterus wants to tackle me and throttle me to death from the inside and the ONLY thing that helps is EVENING PRIMROSE OIL. It's like magic. Ten minutes after taking Evening Primrose oil capsules I suddenly feel like sighing and everything is alright. It's magic.
I suggest all sufferers give it a go.


Are there any alternative therapies?

Post 3

stella x

I think that the beneficial effects of evening primrose oil have been verified scientifically (e.g. with double blind tests etc.), although (correct me if I'm wrong) I believe you have to take it all the time to get the benefits.

I saw a female gynecologist on T.V. years ago who suggested eating carbohydrates every few hours in the week before and during your period. She theorised that complex carbs help the body dispose of excess progesterone, which is the hormonal culprit. I was impressed at the time, partly because I crave carbs in the run up to my period, and I've always believed that most cravings are your body's way of saying its in need of something. Anyway, I tried it, and it seems to alleviate the symptoms.

I've been told that eating a brazil nut and half a banana everyday alleviates P.M.T. Allegedly something to do with selenium. Haven't tried it, but its cheaper than evening primrose oil, and some people swear by it.

Finally, don't want to patronise or underplay the horrible symptoms that some people experience. However, I've always had hideous mood swings - miserable depression in the week leading up to my period - life loses all colour, everything seems pointless etc. I used to really suffer, but as I've got older, I find comfort in the knowledge that it is just P.M.T., and therefore I know it will end, and my joy of living will be back. I still feel like s**t, but at least I don't feel depressed about feeling depressed.

This too will pass.


Are there any alternative therapies?

Post 4

World Service Memoryshare team

Dear Wejut and Stella,

Thanks for those suggestions, I'll give them all a try! Do either of you know what the magic ingredient is in Evening Primrose Oil that makes it so beneficial?

smiley - biggrin


Are there any alternative therapies?

Post 5

E G Mel

I'm a great believer in homeopathic remedies, but everyone is different, if you are interested there are books in the library or even better go to your local homeopatic store and ask what they recommend. They should be able to offer you several alternatives depending on what symptoms you get.

Mel smiley - hsif


Are there any alternative therapies?

Post 6

Mother of God, Empress of the Universe

A few years ago I was having extremely bad emotional swings during PMS. I'd become terribly depressed and my temper was on a hair trigger, to the point that I feared I might snap and lose my job because of it one day. I started taking borage oil for the two weeks before my period and that has helped a lot, though I'm still ridiculously emotional and tend to over-react to just about everything and my brain doesn't seem to work properly for a day or two. The other morning I stood in line trying to order a bagel and couldn't think of the word for 'capers'. *sigh* Fortunately my boss understands when I tell her that I'm in a temporary state of hormonally induced idiocy.

One thing that's helped a lot is that I make it a point to avoid making big decisions, not schedule important meetings, and deal with touchy situations by phone or email on those days rather than letting people see 'the brow' in action. I've mostly learned to keep my mouth shut, but my face still manages to make my feelings perfectly clear.smiley - yikes


Are there any alternative therapies?

Post 7

kirriea

i have found the contraceptive injection to be a great help. have had no periods for 3 yrs. bloomin' marvelous


Are there any alternative therapies?

Post 8

E G Mel

Rather a drastic measure! smiley - winkeye

Mel smiley - hsif


Are there any alternative therapies?

Post 9

Jeny (Professor of Cheesology, Apostrophe Executive)

It might be drastic, but it works smiley - smiley

I use the contraceptive injection, and only have very mild PMS for the week or so before I'm due for the next one. As someone who suffered greatly from PMS before, with major mood swings and depression, this is a huge improvement.

The only other side-effect that I've noticed is food cravings, again just before I'm due for an injection, and just after I've had it. I reckon that's got to be something to do with the hormone levels changing.


Are there any alternative therapies?

Post 10

E G Mel

I guess I'm lucky my PMS symptoms aren't so bad that I feel the need to stop my periods! smiley - smiley

Mel smiley - hsif


Are there any alternative therapies?

Post 11

Erin Fury

Hi, I'm quite surprised noone has mentioned the miracle vitamin 'B6'. It has changed my life.. and many of my friends also. You should start taking the recommended daily dose 5 to 7 days before your period begins (or as soon as you start getting symptoms) and can continue on until the end of your period, but then you must stop until the next period. B6 should not be taken continuously. Tho please believe we've found it to have a truly miraculous effect. Amazingly enough a bloke told me about it first. I've been spreading the word ever since and swear it has saved a friends' marriage.

There are a few poor souls, approx 1 in 10,000 maybe, who are allergic to taking B6, so if you notice any big spots on your skin soon after taking it, please stop and consult your doctor. I've only ever met one person who couldn't take it.

The reason it is said to work is that it help 'builds' blood. The short hand being we apparently get all clumsy, tired and moody because our bodies are working overtime to build extra blood.. contributing a chemical imbalance to the hormonal (maybe the biologists out there can put me right on this one).

Another good bit of advice I've taken onboard personally... is to stop fighting what your body wants. If you're getting angry because all you want to do is sit down and rest and instead you're having a fight with the hoover in the living room, listen to your body and sit down.. the wrestle with the hoover can w8 :o)

PS apols if this post is too long.. it's my first ever.

Cheers


Are there any alternative therapies?

Post 12

E G Mel

I would say it's a good length post for the conversation.

My trouble is I'd never remember to take the B6 at the right time!

As for the getting clumsy and moody, I get that anyway, I can't imagine it being worse smiley - sadface

And as for listening to what your body wants that's always a good idea, I tend to listen when it says go and have a quiet lie down and then I sleep through the first day! smiley - winkeye

Mel smiley - hsif


Are there any alternative therapies?

Post 13

sithkael

One thing you might try is B-12 and folic acid, especially if you suffer from anemia and depression. The dose is 10,000 mcg B-12 and 800 mcg folic acid daily and the only side effect is the occsional mild nose bleed. I suffered from severe PMS, extremely painful periods, and anemia for years before trying this and it worked. I still get mild PMS and some cramps, but the overall improvement is phenomenal. It is better to divide the dose of B-12 over the course of the day as you get a huge rush of energy. This treatment is primarily for anemia, treating the depression is almost a side effect of this.

Kael


Are there any alternative therapies?

Post 14

E G Mel

How do you know if you have anemia?

Mel smiley - hsif


Are there any alternative therapies?

Post 15

sithkael

Generaly you go to your doctor and they will diagnose it, usually after a blood test.


Are there any alternative therapies?

Post 16

E G Mel

Yes but are there any tell tell signs that would suggest I go to a doctor? Getting an appointment for a checkup is a nightmare!

Mel smiley - hsif


Are there any alternative therapies?

Post 17

sithkael

Generally the most common symptom is chronic extreme fatigue--everyday tasks just wear you out, constantly, not just when you are short on sleep or have been doing a lot more. Some people get sick more often. Paleness is sometimes a good indication.

If you are having problems getting a doctors appointment you can try going to your gynecologist--I got diagnosed by my Planned Parenthood clinic when I went in for birth control. You might try going someplace like that.


Are there any alternative therapies?

Post 18

Leopardskinfynn... sexy mama

Hi Ladies smiley - biggrin

Well I seem to suffer from PMS constantly! I have a strange hormone situation due to having polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS) which means that I have too much oestrogen and a relative lack of progesterone. Add to that a touch of endometriosis and insulin resistance, and it all = not much fun (especially for my other half smiley - erm)


One thing that might be of interest to you, is a herb called Dong Quai (Chinese Angelica I do believe). In Chinese medicine this is used to "build the blood" in people suffering from "Blood Deficiency". There are differences in the way that Chinese medicine and Western medicine term medical conditions/patterns/syndromes/symptoms, but suffice to say that if you feel you are anaemic (you are tired a lot of the time, your face has a 'washed out' look, your tongue is pale, your energy levels drop during and after a period) then this herb might be of benefit to you.

One way of taking it for this condition, would be to take it directly after your period has finished (if you take it whilst you are bleeding, then there is the possibility that you might increase the flow - which can be a good thing if there is lots of clotting and cramps, but can cause flooding - not a good thing if you are "blood deficient") for maybe the first 2 weeks of your cycle. If after a couple of cycles you don't feel much improvement (your tongue is still pale and you still feel tired) then try increasing your dose to every day.....UNTIL you start bleeding (its always a good idea to give your body a rest from taking something every day anyway, even if it doesn't cause flooding).


Red raspberry leaves are also a good thing to take - taken as a tea or as tablets whilst you are bleeding can help to ease cramps by increasing the production of oxytocin (the chemical that causes the uterus to contract) which will increase your flow, so beware flooding. This herb can also be used in pregnancy to help tone the uterus before childbirth, but should only be taken in the last few weeks of pregnancy (lest any uterine contractions expel the child too early).


Hope this is of interest,
LSF


Are there any alternative therapies?

Post 19

Moke

Yes!!!

There are alternatives.

Contact: E-mail: [email protected]

Regards

Moke.


Are there any alternative therapies?

Post 20

E G Mel

I must admitt that having had a very bad last few months I have given in and went and got the pill from my doc today,

Mel smiley - hsif


Key: Complain about this post