A Conversation for How to Be a Successful Tourist

Two Words for the Tourist!!!

Post 1

Dragonfly. "A poet can survive everything but a misprint"-- Oscar Wilde

LONELY PLANET!!!

Lonely Planet publishes WONDERFUL guidebooks. An English friend of mine was visiting me for a few weeks this summer, and although the text was a bit outdated, it NEVER LET US DOWN!!! YAY!!!

We found awesome places we would have never found.


Two Words for the Tourist!!!

Post 2

Researcher 183503

What piffle.

The LP guide always says stuff like "quaint" when it means "unclean, smelly, and full of awful people". Perhaps some people get into some kind of patronising romantic mood when traveling through horrid places. The LP researchers certainly do. If you're arriving by train with the other little backpackers and have no brain then maybe LP is worthwhile.


Two Words for the Tourist!!!

Post 3

Bagpuss

To quote the Beach "What's so f*****g lonely about the Ko San Road?" Mind you, I have to have a certain amount of affection for the series that annoyed the residents of bracing Skeggy by declaring it to be the sort of place the English middle classes wouldn't be seen dead in.


Two Words for the Tourist!!!

Post 4

Dragonfly. "A poet can survive everything but a misprint"-- Oscar Wilde

smiley - sadface But... it was educational... you'd rather go without anything and get stuck in tourists traps!?? For our experience, the guide worked wonderfully, and was well worth the money to buy it. smiley - tongueout

::waggles her butt::


Two Words for the Tourist!!!

Post 5

Marjin, After a long time of procrastination back lurking

I expected the two words to be "Don't Panic".

For me lonely planet is for relatively young people, much younger than I am.

The best advice I can give tourists is: "Respect the people who live in this place, and act like you want to see tourists act when they visit your town". (the last part except when you make a living by separating tourists from their money)


Two Words for the Tourist!!!

Post 6

Dragonfly. "A poet can survive everything but a misprint"-- Oscar Wilde

Herrrmmm..... smiley - tongueoutsmiley - winkeyesmiley - silly

Everyone surely has their own travel styles... "Don't Panic" is universal advice, undoubtedly!!!


Two Words for the Tourist!!!

Post 7

Mammuthus Primigenius

There's currently a boycott on lonely planet, as they publish a guide to Burma where the tourist industry was part built by slave labour, and supports one of the world's worst dictatorships.

There are plenty of other good guidebooks (e.g. the Rough Guides series), but none are as complete as they claim to be. The best places are often not mentioned in any guide.


Two Words for the Tourist!!!

Post 8

Dragonfly. "A poet can survive everything but a misprint"-- Oscar Wilde

::shudders to think:: smiley - sadface


Two Words for the Tourist!!!

Post 9

Marjin, After a long time of procrastination back lurking

Anyhow the guide you need depends much on what you expect to do.
Are you planning for a lot of sunbathing, drinking and discoing, or will you grab a backpack and roam the countryside.
Or more different things.

Each possibility will have its own optimal guide.
Marijn


Two Words for the Tourist!!!

Post 10

Clelba

my brother has been to japan twice, both times staying with families (and he's off again tmorrow! to universty in japan...) and he found the LP guide invaluable. i don't think it really matters what sort of holiday you're doing, it's full of all sorts of information, for different budgets. i'm also going to japan at christmas, and it's prepared me for a large amount of what to expect...so i disagree that it's "piffle"
^. .^
= ' =


Two Words for the Tourist!!!

Post 11

Dragonfly. "A poet can survive everything but a misprint"-- Oscar Wilde

smiley - hug (That's my girl!!! smiley - winkeye)


Two Words for the Tourist!!!

Post 12

Bagpuss

smiley - biggrin I think that guides that at least try to include the less obvious places are to be applauded, though having never used one, I can't really compare the various series.


Two Words for the Tourist!!!

Post 13

Marjin, After a long time of procrastination back lurking

Most guides I have seen give reasonable or good information about the history and geography of a place. When they include shops, restaurants or hotels they are often completely out of date, or mention only the expensive or highbrow ones. smiley - yuk
For these things I prefer to go to a local tourist office, also to get me a good and very detailed map of the surroundings. I like to make long walks.smiley - footprints


Two Words for the Tourist!!!

Post 14

Cheshirecatgeisha

I SO agree with you. I was travelling India for 2 1/2 months and to me the LP was vital. For once, it gives you good advice on where to go for starters and if you have the latest issue the information on prices for riksha rides or accommodation etc. is pretty precise and helps prevent getting ripped off, which of course will happen to you anyway but then that is just the way things work. I am all for respecting the locals and their customs but refuse being seen as a moving wallet even when travelling 3rd class.
Obviously no guide can cover an entire country because if they did, the "best places" off the beaten track would not be there to discover. Communication is the word: talk to other travellers to pick up some good hints. After a while, when you have gotten over the initial culture shock, you will become more confident and dare get off the train half ways in some obsolete village just to see what it looks like.
Smiles and sunshine; CCG


Two Words for the Tourist!!!

Post 15

Clelba

my brother also says Rough Guides are good...
^. .^
= ' =


Two Words for the Tourist!!!

Post 16

Bob Dodd

There are quite a few of these sort of guides out there. And like LP, they offer useful information cunningly hidden amongst historical artefacts (aka the accomodation and restaurant sections).

There used to be a series called "xxx on $15 a day" (which shows my age smiley - sadface ). The one on the UK had this wonderful line that went: "The best place in England is Aberystwith in Wales". On reflection, the author was lucky to escape with his/her life from both countries smiley - smiley)

On a similar note, the old Yugoslav government (back in the days of Tito) once produced a guide book for tourists with a helpful set of serbo-croat phrases. One of which was "Help! Help! I'm drowning", a phrase that should be in every guide book...


Two Words for the Tourist!!!

Post 17

Asterion

I rather like the Worst Case Scenario Guidebook: Travel. Not only does it have all you need for your trip: surviving an airplane crash, riot (something which I'm sure would be helpful in England during soccer season), and/or hostage situation, but the back of the back has all sorts of fun phrases like: Hello-I have been seriously wounded; Can I use your belt as a tourniquet; and May I borrow a towel to wipe up the blood? I grabbed this book at the school bookstore and haven't regretted it yet.


Two Words for the Tourist!!!

Post 18

Dragonfly. "A poet can survive everything but a misprint"-- Oscar Wilde

smiley - laugh That's the COOLEST!!! smiley - winkeye


Two Words for the Tourist!!!

Post 19

Marjin, After a long time of procrastination back lurking

I only hope you do not try to borrow the towel of a researcher. The answer might be: 'Blood, on my clean towel? Use your own, use your or my shirt but my towel? Never!' smiley - winkeye


Two Words for the Tourist!!!

Post 20

Dragonfly. "A poet can survive everything but a misprint"-- Oscar Wilde

smiley - winkeye


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more