A Conversation for How to Be a Successful Tourist

Two Words for the Tourist!!!

Post 21

Researcher 182562

I don't know if they still exist, but there used to be travel books with 'On a Shoe-string' in the title. Even just to read, they were great! This was REALLY for the broke traveller. They had things like 'go to the house with the blue door and ask for Ernie" or on a mission rest place "If Father A is there he might let you stay, but Father B won't". Personally, I think getting out into the communities is great - running by a checklist of sights is a huge bore. They look just like the picture and there is no need for a second blurrier picture with me in it. One sight really worth the trouble though, is Victoria Falls. I have travelled a fair bit and lived in the Middle East 8 years, and my advice is simply - be fun for the people to know. Be cheerful and laugh a lot and and interested, and prepared to like everyone you meet (until experience proves different - it rarely will). I have found people will practically impoverish themselves in many places to give you a good time. I have been invited to weddings of perfect strangers. If all you want is to see buildings and have the 5-star experience, if strange smells and ways of washing up offend you, do the world a favor and hire a guide and pay him to take your abuse and leave the natives to their lives, which they manage surprisingly well.


Key: Complain about this post

Two Words for the Tourist!!!

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more