h2g2 Post 10.01.2000

0 Conversations


Posted: 10th January 2000

Welcome to this edition of the Post.

We survived the 'bug'! Did you? Let us know if you experienced any difficulties with the transition from 99 to 00. I was amused to see that Italy, for example, managed to set their Air-Sea rescue service back about 20 years! This pre-empted the bug by about 12 hours and was the cause of much
hilarity around the world.

Have you noticed how many people are visiting h2g2 these days? Has it affected your load times? The Powers That Be are working on this problem:
Posted 2 days ago by Jim Lynn

Subject: H2g2 Inmates
We've taken lots of steps since the last influx. We've increased the amount of memory in the database server (our main bottleneck) by 8 times, we've started caching images rather than use up processor time displaying them, and in preparation for this new onslaught we've turned on article caching. This means that people browsing pages take up *a lot* less processor power, meaning we can support many more visitors at a time. The difference this time is that the news is aimed at the print media, so we don't get all our hits at once, as can happen with news sites on the internet. We're confident we can withstand the barrage of new users. I hope the Aces have the time to make them all feel welcome.

(If you are new to h2g2, the ACES are the 'welcoming committee' who try to make you feel at home... ed.)

We are pleased to welcome back the popular 'One to One Interview' with an insight into the world of T.V. Frink. If there is someone within the world of h2g2 whom you think deserves our attention, please contact us. All our researchers are currently trying to come up with ideas to improve the service we give you. In the pipeline: the possibility of a crossword, a book review column, a sports column and expansion into the real world. This last item is obviously made more difficult by the fact that we are a weekly, not a daily, publication, so not all the news can be up-to-the-minute. We hope that the articles we do include continue to be of interest to you all. Feedback is all important, so we welcome your comments whether complimentary or otherwise!
shazzPRME

  • 1-2-1

  • As we return for this New Year we find out all about TV's Frink.

  • Take 5

  • This weeks editon of Take Five is a little larger than normal, well quite a bit larger actually.

  • Agony Aunt

  • h2g2 is not a 'normal' community, it doesn't have 'normal' problems, therefore a 'normal' Agony Aunt would be useless. Ours is far from 'normal'.

  • The BooK NooK


  • The BooK NooK, a branch from the Aroma Cafe, gives a complete review of Dune as a sort of a teaser of what is to come with their own column.

  • The Think Tank


  • A central point to exchange ideas on articles. Whether you're
    writing a future Guide entry and want some help with spelling, grammar
    or content, or you have a few moments to spare and wish to proof read
    for a fellow researcher, this is the place.


Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A468191

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Credits

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more