Emmily's Edited Entries

0 Conversations

(Updated 29 July 2005)

I'll start with the Edited Entries, which I researched and wrote, then submitted to Peer Review; to be commented on, corrected and generally improved, bringing them up to the expected standards of the Edited Guide.

Then I'll mention the Entries I have on Coming Up Page, and those in Peer Review.

It was after I had spent two or three months commenting on Entries in Peer Review that I volunteered to be a Scout. (I've been a Scout since 28/02/05) Anyone can comment on Entries via the Peer Review thread, not at the bottom of the Entry.

Edited Entries

These are my Entries that have been through the Peer Review process, had a mention on h2g2's Front Page, and are now part of the Edited Guide. The page I found most useful was Writing for the Edited Guide

I have 17 Entries in the Edited Guide.

    Wade Whimsies

  • I'm a born-again Wade Whimsies (On h2g2 Front Page 24 July 2002) collector. I used to collect them when young, gave them away, and then started collecting them again when I was in my 30s. This was the first Entry I submitted to Peer Review. I was a bit nervous that first time, but I was given lots of advice, suggestions and help. I had a great sense of pride and achievement when this Entry was on h2g2s Front Page, and into the Edited Guide.

  • Wedding Anniversary Celebrations

  • A mug with Wedding Anniversary Celebrations (On h2g2 Front Page 27 August 2002) on was the simple inspiration for this rather simple Entry.

  • The Yorkshire Terrier

    A Yorkshire Terrier
  • You may be surprised to learn that I wrote The Yorkshire Terrier(On h2g2 Front Page 09 November 2004) as the last piece of work on a basic English course at my local Adult Education Centre. I had attended there for two hours a week for two years. So if you think your English is not good enough to write an Entry, not so. If you do have a problem with your spelling and grammar, it might be a good idea to ask the human Spell Checkers to check it, before you submit it to Peer Review.

  • Popular Wedding Traditions and Superstitions

  • I was looking at a book about organising a wedding, in the charity shop I help in, and found some of the traditions and superstitions amusing, and decided to share them with h2g2 and the Entry Popular Wedding Traditions and Superstitions (On h2g2 Front Page 27 January 2005) was born.

  • European Robins

    A red-breasted European robin.
  • It was middle of November when I discovered a dead robin outside my back door, a victim of one of my cats. I searched h2g2 for an Entry on robins, there was not one so I filled the gap with European Robins.(On h2g2 Front Page 08 March 2005) In a way, something good came out of that robin's death.

  • Yahtzee - The Game

    Dice - integral to the game of Yahtzee.
  • Again, no story behind Yahtzee - The Game. (On h2g2 Front Page 30 March 2005) It's a game I like and enjoy playing. It does hold a personal record, as the quickest one I wrote, I think it took just two days.

  • The Humble Thimble

    A thumb, protected by a mighty thimble.
  • No story behind The Humble Thimble Entry.(On h2g2 Front Page 07 April 2005) I was just looking for something relatively simple I could research and write about, and came up with thimbles.

  • Traditional Children's Songs - UK

    Two musical notes and a treble clef.
  • I soon found out after submitting this nostalgic Entry to Peer Review that there were so many regional variations to Traditional Children's Songs - UK (On h2g2 Front Page 08 April 2005) that I needed a lot of help, and made this Entry a collaborative Entry. There were a few problems with this Entry at the end of the Peer Review Process, but I won't dwell on them here.

  • Snakes and Ladders - The Board Game

    A snake's head.
  • Staying with the children's theme, I decided to write an Entry on Snakes and Ladders - The Board Game (On h2g2 Front Page 22 April 2005) a simple children's game, which started life as a 'tool' to teach children about good and evil.

  • Bluethroats

  • While European robins Entry was in Peer Review, there were stories in the UK news about a bluethroat; a rare bird to see in UK during winter time. It was described as being a relative to the robin, even though it's scientific name suggested differently. Bluethroats (On h2g2 Front Page 22 April 2005) was written to clear up this confusion.

  • Common Childhood Fairies

    A young girl's face with a pretty fairy hovering behind her.
  • I got a bit stressed, and took a few days break from h2g2. During which time I escaped from reality and wrote Common Childhood Fairies. (On h2g2 Front Page 24 may 2005) It started off with the title 'Fairies', then I realised they were so many different types of fairies, I changed the title, and narrowed the scope.

  • Horndon-on-the-Hill, Essex. UK

  • It has been said that Geographical Entries are among the most difficult to write, so I tested that theory with Horndon-on-the-Hill, Essex. UK (On h2g2 Front Page 21 July 2005) the delightful small vilage where I grew up, and yes, I did find it more difficult, but worth it to get my favourite village on h2g2's map.

  • The Chinese Animal Zodiac

    A Chinese dragon, one of the symbols of the Chinese zodiac.
  • As with my Wedding Anniversary Celebrations, it was a simple item which gave the inspiration for The Chinese Animal Zodiac;(On h2g2 Front Page 02 August 2005) a Chinese calendar listing all the animal years.

  • Furbies

  • There was already an Edited Entry on Furbys (On h2g2 Front Page 08 August 2005) but it was a bit short, so I decided to update it through the Update Forum process. I chose to completely re-write it, which meant it went through Peer Review in much the same way as a new Entry would.

    The Update process has now been changed; all update Entries, even complete rewrites now go through the Update Forum page. Personally, I disagree with this new process, and will not be writing any more updates. Unfortunately, I had already started on one before these changes were announced.

  • Colchester Camping & Caravan Park, Essex, UK

  • Myself and my partner camped at Colchester Camping & Caravan Park, Essex, UK (On h2g2 Front Page 06 September 2005)I'd not been camping since my teenage years, and was impressed with this site, I particually like the wild rabbits hopping around, so I wrote about it.

  • Erotic Bondage, Fur and Feathers

  • I thought it was time to write about something with a more adult theme, though I wasn't sure how Erotic Bondage, Fur and Feathers (On h2g2 Front Page 15 September 2005) would be received in Peer Review. After I removed and re-vamped the first version, the second, and current version, I'm pleased to say, had some positive feed back.

    This Entry took longer than any other I have written to get to the Front Page; it was nearly 5 months between being picked from Peer Review and its appearance on the Front Page.

  • Saucy Seaside Postcards - Their Ups and Downs

    A saucy lady from a seaside postcard.
  • Saucy Seaside Postcards - Their Ups and Downs (On h2g2 Front Page 30 September 2005) was oringinally going to be about postcards, but I mistakenly thought there was already an Edited Entry on postcards, so I decided to focus on the saucy aspect. I discovered my mistake soon after I started the entry, but decided to stick to just the aspect of saucy postcards.

On Coming Up Page



(This section needs updating)


The Coming Up Page is like a waiting area for Entries that are heading for the Front Page and into the Edited Guide. Before the Entries get to the Front Page a Sub-editor gives them a final polish.

I have five Entries on Coming Up page.

In Peer Review

I have one Entry in Peer Review at the moment.

  • While travelling to the Colchester Camping site, we passed a stretch of road where the bridges were named, I was facinated by this (simple things please simple minds) and scribbled them down, then emailed Essex Council to find out why and what they were named after, the information I got from the email was not detailed enough for the Named Bridges on the A130, Essex, UK so I now have to research to find out more information, which is proving to be quite difficult.(Removed from PR, while I find out more details)


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A3809810

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more