Edited Guide Entries What I Wrote

2 Conversations

I suppose this page is more for my own personal gratification... when I was a Subeditor, I found keeping track of these a lot harder, as my name also appears on many things that I subbed rather than actually created with my own not-so-fair fingers...

Edited Guide Entries that I Started

In..... One! A842942. I'm not going to tell you what the Trouble with Harringay is here, that'd give the game away!

In..... Two! A898662. This is one I picked up from the Flea Market, and was originally written by archaeo, who as far as I know still works in the East Wabash branch of Pizza Hut in Terre Haute, Indiana, USA.

In.... Three! A954209. My first love... This entry was originally a grand universal guide to PAFC, which got recommended for the EG, but then I realised there was a lot more that should go in. Which I then added, and got a friend to proof-read it for me. When he fell asleep about three hours later having only got two-thirds of the way down it, I realised it might be a bit long. So it really had to be split into two entries, and I'm indebted to Sam for all his tolerance and good work in putting up with me and my pedantry while we split it. The end result, though, was of course a new Entry:

In.... Four! A954911. Snappily entitled, don't you think? This one's more of a quick one-stop guide to Argyle, and if you've got a casual interest in the Greens, I'd start with this one if I was you.

In.... Five! A994656. Expertly sub-edited by Emily, someone else who was kind enough to put up with my unreasonable demands to mess about with an Entry once it had been accepted. This is another one I discovered in the Flea Market. An entry about a brewery whose beers I have never been lucky enough to drink, in a country I've never had the chance to visit. Now that's what I call journalism. But I couldn't have done it without the help of the Nordic Researchers' Club... especially NAITA, who was gallant enough to refuse a credit.

In.... Six! A1018586. Another save from the Flea Market, and again the help of people who'd actually been there made it all possible. This one had the longest incubation period in Peer Review out of anything I've done so far, and I had to resort to nefarious tactics (they're towards the end of the thread) in the end to attract the attention of a Scout.

In... Seven! A1032058. A gentle giant and one of snooker's great characters, from an era when professional sportsmen were less professional and far more interesting. Originally conceived as a paragraph to go into Master B's entry on snooker, I scoured the obituaries and expanded it into a full-blown biography, helped by the advice of Zarquon's Singing Fish.

In... Eight! A1090676. My fourth ex-Flea Market entry to be accepted, and seeing as almost outnumber the ones I've started myself, I really must try and be a bit more original...

In... Nine! A1103789. The longest I've ever had an entry in development for... over six months. There had been a previous attempt at defining Indie written by someone with a blind hatred for - and a total ignorance of - the subject they were writing about (the least said about the article the better, but it's A210006, if you must). Many - including me - thought it was part of the Edited Guide, although it never actually was... but there WAS a link to it from an entry on London Indie Clubs that WAS in the Edited Guide. So this article was originally gathered from comments about A210006 that I collated and added my two penn'orth to, and then quite a few people helped it on its way in the Collaborative Writing Workshop and Peer Review.

In... Ten! A1108829. Another entry I started from scratch myself and about time too - about the man with one of the coolest names in football who scored an amazing 14 goals in the 1958 World Cup. I apologise in advance for the oh-so-subtle profusion of 'just' gags, but not the 'fountain of goals' one, which I think is dead clever. So there.

In... Eleven! A1111320 - Flea Market Special No. 5. Thanks to Mickey Thomas' Right Boot for writing the original and Johnny Vegas for coming up with the concept of Top Trumps cutlery.

In... Twelve! A1111249. My tribute to a fantastic piece of Communist retro-futurism! Another solo effort, originally conceived as part of Gnomon's update on Prague (see below)...

In... Thirteen! A1161190 - Number Six's seventh ex-flea market entry, and even includes a mention of an heroic tortoise called Lewis Collins...

In... Fourteen! A1304894 - this is what I did on my holidays... helped out in Peer Review by the experiences of Sea Change, Gordon the Scout and anhaga.

In... Fifteen! A2150326 - all I really did was add a couple of bits and bobs to Inkwash's excellent entry on Åland Islands, but it was the Geographical Entry Society that motivated me to tidy it up and get it through Peer Review.

In... Sixteen! A2570177 - a wonderful pub and one I am proud to call my Local. And an entry I'm proud to have started from scratch.

In... Seventeen! A3813941 - a much-needed guide to one of the more annoying stations on the Underground network. It's the illegitmate offspring of one entry I found in the Flea Market, another unedited Guide Entry I happened across one day, and some of my own nonsense thrown in for good measure. This one took me just under two years from creating the original page where I worked on it to getting it published on the front page of the Guide. Well, I've been busy...

Pending a re-write - A Guide to Milosevic's Belgrade for Foreigners. Exactly what it says on the tin - a brilliant entry I found in the Flea Market originally written by someone who'd lived there in that time, and polished up with the help of the h2g2 community. However, after its acceptance there was a lot of inhouse debate about it, and the Editors eventually did a u-turn and didn't accept it for the guide. The reason being that the *primary*
criterion for any Edited Guide entry is that it must be factually accurate, and the general impression the entry gave in its then-current form was that it was totally out of date before even being put up on the front page - the facts from 'then' were presented mainly in the present tense, updated by footnotes, which suggested to the uninitiated that a current Belgrade was being talked about.

Edited Guide Entries that I Helped With...

A950221. I'm not quite sure what I did for this one... I think Dr Montague Trout gave me a credit simply because I gave him one for the Pizza Restuarant Entry. Personally, I think I was far more help with A998139, but there you go.

A1011853. I think it was the bit about double-declutching that I helped with, which comes from having spent the early part of my adulthood herding various vans and minibuses around - and also a 1966 Riley Elf, a 1973 Transit camper, and my Dad's 1953 Riley RMF. Happy times.

A1012483. As far as I remember, the bits I helped with were 'Hammersmith Palais', 'Seeing Piccadilly', 'Elvis and Scotty', 'Wee Willie Harris', 'Listening to Rico', and 'Singalong a Smokey'. In the song itself, the verse 'Take your Mum to Paris... Lighting up a chalice... Wee Willie Harris!' is my favourite...

A1102014 - my contribution's the part about good old-fashioned gentlemanly pavement etiquette.

A1037927. Written by Dr Deckchair Funderlik, and a footnote about Donald Turnupseed by me...

A930287 . Terence Trent D'Arby? River Trent doesn't even go through Derby... ought to be Terence Trent Stoke. Yes, the bit about the River Trent by Great Haywood's mine.

A930250 - I chucked in the bit about the City Lit, where I learn Italian.

A190018 - as well as sub-editing Gnomon's excellent update, I wrote the bit on the Vyšehrad, and helped with the sections on Transport (prestupní jízdenkas and so on....), Food and Drink (I love Czech beer and dumplings, me), the Municipal House.

A1121860 - a fitting tribute from the h2g2 football community to the Cameroonian midfielder who met with a tragically early demise. Proud to have been part of it, but would much rather we hadn't had to write it.

A1124678. I didn't really do a lot for this, as I remember it... mainly assisting Broelan in bridging the language gap between American and British English!

A1152974. An entry about a rock cafe in Norway - again, a spot of Sub-Editing beyond the call of duty, helping a researcher whose first language wasn't English get the entry up to standard.

A1152965. I was the Sub-Editor for Kate's excellent entry, and added in some information about using the North London line to get to Camden. Well, someone had to...

A190045 - another helping hand with one of Gnomon's excellent monster-sized updates on Europe's lovely cities. My bits on arriving there, getting around, shopping, places to go on the slightly-less-beaten track, football (of course!) and the Bond film Moonraker swelled it to Frankenstein-esque proportions...

A2082863. I pointed a couple of things out about the French (and indeed continental) habit of road signs only telling you how to get to a place, rather than giving you the chance to strategise your own route plan using road numbers as we do in the UK.


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A2169993

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more