Fantasy Krikkit

34 Conversations


Welcome to the second year of Fantasy Krikkit, h2g2's own cricket competition. In 2007, me[Andy]G's Over and Outs almost swept the board, winning both the domestic trophies and only being pipped to the title in the World Twenty20 Special by a player who wasn't even a h2g2 Researcher. It was a different story in the domestic Twenty20 Cup, however, where summerbayexile finally got his underperforming team playing to get the trophy their line-up, on paper at least, deserved.


The 2008 season has just finished, with me[Andy]G again doing the double in both the Championship and the ProPhortyPhifty. And again, he failed to win the Twenty20, finishing third behind Trout Montague (or vice versa) and winners New Pork Hankies. It has become clear that the Over and Outs are definitely the team to beat.

Latest News!


I've had a vague idea that we might have a winter international competition - you can find details here.

What's New


For the benefit of experienced FK captains, here are the main changes to the competition:

  • Scoring. The scoring system has been revamped, with players scoring points for each run scored rather than for completed half-centuries and centuries alone. Only wicketkeepers now gain points for catches taken.

  • Squads and Transfers. The old squad system has been abandoned, and mid-season transfers limited. There is, however, a full transfer window which opens during the domestic Twenty20 Cup.

  • Players. As in the FK Twenty20 Special, there is now a separate category of 'all-rounders' for you to choose from. Apart from this, selection has been simplified. The limits on number of spinners and overseas players have both been dispensed with.

  • Captains and Keepers. The powers of both have been reduced, with captains only scoring double for 'bonus' points.

  • Special Competitions. Extra points, money or both may be earned during the season through mini-competitions to tie in with Test, ODI or Twenty20 competitions. Details will be announced at intervals through the season, so please make sure you are subscribed to all relevant pages.


You can see the current teams and standings over on the FK 2008 Teams and Standings page. Funny, that. News updates will take place over there, so if you are playing, please ensure you are subscribed to it.

Picking Your Team


Team lists have been produced for you to select your players from. Decide how much you want to bid for each player and email your team list to fantasy[dot]krikkit[at]googlemail[dot]com. Whoever bids the highest gets the player; in the event of a tie, the first bid received wins. Each team receives £20m to spend on players at the start of the season; please bid only in multiples of £100,000.


Your team must consist of five batsmen, a wicketkeeper, three bowlers and an all-rounder. This leaves you one extra player, who may be either a bowler or an all-rounder - the choice is yours. You may pick up to three players from any one County, as long as you do not have more than one from the same County in any one discipline. From your final team, you must select one player to be your captain, who will score extra points for you.


Bidding, bodding and bedding will take place on the following dates:

  • Round One: 17 - 21 March
  • Round Two: 24 - 28 March
  • Round Three: 31 March - 4 April


After the end of round three, there will be an 'open market' for you to have the opportunity to fill any gaps in your team. All teams must then be finalised by midnight on Sunday, 13 April in good time for the season to begin.


Please note that the board reserves the right to refuse any bids for players that it considers to be too low.

Scoring


Points are now scored as follows:

  • Batting. One point for each run scored, with a bonus of 25 for a fifty and 75 for a century. These bonuses are not cumulative, and no extra bonus are given for higher landmarks - in other words, a double hundred would earn the player a flat bonus of 75 points.

  • Bowling. Twenty points for each wicket taken, with a bonus of 50 points for a five-wicket haul and 75 for ten in a match. These bonuses are cumulative, so if a bowler takes seven wickets in the first innings and three in the second, he'd score 125 bonus points in addition to the 20 for each wicket.

  • Fielding. Wicketkeepers only score five points per catch or stumping.

  • Captaincy. Your nominated captain scores double bonus points for batting and bowling landmarks as above. Choose your captain carefully, as you are not permitted to change him until the transfer window.

  • Exceptional Performances. The Krikkit Board may occasionally decide to award bonus points to teams or individuals if the circumstances justify it1.


Points scored by players participating in Test and County matches will go towards the Krikkit Championship competition; those scored in ODIs, Pro40 and FP Trophy will count towards the PhantasyProPhortyPhifty. No other matches will count towards the totals, unless notified by the Board for special competitions.

Transfers


Due to changes in the way the game is administrated, the Board has decided to limit the availability of transfers over the coming season. Each team will now be able to make just three transfers to and from the player pool during the season. There are, however, some exceptions.

Transfer Window


The domestic competitions take a pause for Twenty20 cricket from 10 - 28 June and, while FK will have a slogfest of its own, this is the time when most transfer activity will take place. First, you may select up to five players to leave your team. The Board will declare its valuation for each, and you may choose to accept or reject its offer. All released players will be placed back into the pool, and you may bid for replacements in the same way that you did at the beginning of the season. You may also change your captain during the transfer window, and at no other time. All teams must be finalised in good time for the main domestic competitions to begin again on 29 June, and transfers will be effective from the end of the Twenty20 tournament.

Team-To-Team Transfers


Any transfers involving another Fantasy Krikkit team are considered to be free, and do not count towards your three for a season. In effect, this means that you may buy players from or sell players to other teams as many times as you like during the season. If, for example, you sell a player to another FK team and replace him with a player from the Board's pool, this will not count as one of your three transfers because the transaction has involved another FK team. You may negotiate the deal between yourselves and simply let the Board know the outcome.

Unavailable Players


At the Board's discretion, you may replace players who have are no longer available to score points for your team. If one of your players picks up a long-term injury, retires or comes to the end of their contract (in the case of some overseas players), you may be allowed to make a transfer without penalty2.


Note that transfers will only take place at a time suitable for the Board, and any loss of points as a result of inconvenient timing is just plain bad luck.

Previous Competitions

2007's Final Tables
2008's Final Tables
World Twenty20 Special Results

1Recent examples of cases where such an award might be deemed appropriate include Justin Langer's triple century for Somerset against Middlesex, Ottis Gibson's ten wickets in an innings for Durham against Hampshire, Herschelle Gibbs' six sixes in an over against the mighty Holland or Ireland's heroic win against Pakistan. The Board's ruling on such matters shall be final, and no correspondence will be entered into.2If the player concerned has been selected for an international squad, however, he will not be eligible for a penalty-free transfer as he can still score points for your team.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A20744921

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Credits

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more