A Conversation for Ask h2g2

What film have you seen recently?

Post 6061

Mr. Dreadful - But really I'm not actually your friend, but I am...

My Name Is Bruce.

It's brilliant.

Post 6062

Pink Paisley

Tree of Life.

I wouldn't bother if I were you. Save yourself.

PP

Post 6063

Galaxy Babe - eclectic editor

Last Night.

smiley - yawn although it's worthwhile for the beautiful cast and Keira Knightley's perky nipples, I suppose.

Post 6064

Ferrettbadger. The Renegade Master

Captain America.

Twas a silly film. And I enjoyed it, so there. smiley - nahnah

FB

Post 6065

Super 8.

I really, really liked it. Great nostalgic vibes toward Spielbergs alieny family films from back in the day. And the film was great fun. The "denoucement" doesn't quite live up to the set up, but other than that a great summer film. Well worth a watch.

FB

Post 6066

My daughter took her teenage son to see Super 8 and recommends it highly, although tomorrow we finally get to see Harry Potter in 3D and the other option is Super 8, so no contest.

We rented Moon and watched it Saturday night. Well, this one is for sci-fi nuts, no-one else will stay awake. It's a bit like 2001 Space Odyssey, and there's only one actor in it, Sam Rockwell, whom you may remember had 2 heads in the Hitchhiker's film. I didn't recognise him smiley - winkeye He's also starring in the upcoming "Cowboys and Aliens"smiley - aliensmile

I wanted to rent the film (Moon) as it was written and directed by Duncan Jones, the former Zowie Bowie - curiosity got the better of me I suppose. Can't recommend it unless you are a true sci-fismiley - geek and I wouldn't inflict it on someone who isn't.

smiley - fullmoon

Post 6067

Beatrice

The Last Airbender (quiet at the back!)

Visually I thought it was lovely, costumes and scenery very well realised. The dialogue was awful, reminscent of Lucas' insistence on writing for Star Wars. Unsurprisingly, it won quite a few razzies last year, but it's a reasonable Sunday afternoon watch.

Post 6068

You can call me TC

Sam Rockwell is smiley - cool - I only noticed him as Zaphod, and have been noticing him ever since.

Post 6069

You know I thought Moon was a fabulous, fabulous film. That year (2009?) It was, by a country milem my fave film of the year.

Duncan Jones' Sophomore film "Source Code" is pretty good in all....

FB

Post 6070

Oh and to jump in on the Sam Rockwell love. He is one of those actors (like Christopher Lloyd) who steal every scene and film they are in. Top guy!

FB

Post 6071

Magwitch - My name is Mags and I am funky.

I loved Moon, but then I do loves me Sci Fi.smiley - ufo

I saw Captain America as well this weekend. Really rather enjoyed it. It ain't going to set the world on fire, but hey. The video game's not too bad either, Xbox-heads (but rent it, don't buy it, it doesn't take that long to complete and has no replay value)

Post 6072

Orcus

Yeah I saw Captain America yesterday - rollicking good fun. smiley - ok

Sam Rockwell's best performance for me is in The Green Mile - one of several actors who put in a brilliant performance in a brilliant film.

Rise of the Planet of the Apes is the one for next week - it's getting rave reviews from all sides... smiley - drool
It's about time they managed another good film in that franchise has there been a good one since Charlton Heston's original? smiley - laugh

Post 6073

I knew Duncan Jones had directed "Source Code" - which I thought was brilliant.

TC - then you will love "Moon" - he's in every scene, and in one scene he's butt-naked smiley - bigeyes

Post 6074

A film I think that is really underated (criminally IMHO) is Ridley Scott's "Matchstick Men" which stars Nicholas Cage and Sam Rockwell.

I really recommend it.

FB

Post 6075

Magwitch - My name is Mags and I am funky.

I've not seen that one, FB, I'll stick it on me list.

Post 6076

Xanatic

I just watched The Expendables, an action movie featuring actors who might actually win in a fight. I thought it might suffer from the "Too many chefs" effect, but it was actually decent. I did at times have difficulty finding out who was fighting who, but that´s partly because I watched in on a very small screen. Good enough for some simple entertainment.

Post 6077

Vestboy

Travelled from Oz to UK and back. Watched so many I can't remember what!
I can only remember these, but it is no recommendation as to quality - more like no food was served while they were showing: Drive Angry, Eagle (Centurion II?), Limitless, Rabbit Punch, Centurion (is'nt that the prequel to Eagle?), Lincoln Lawyer...

Recently I've seen Incendies (Canadian French with subtitles) is an excellent film with more turns than a dodgy satnav.
Sophie's Key was great, but very disturbing - again French with subtitles.
Has anyone seen Micmacs (Once moren French with subs) quirkily very funny with the lead actor being shot in the head in the opening sequence! I didn't laugh at that bit.
Of Gods and Men (French no subs. French speaking friend translated for me) very moving true story.

Post 6078

smiley - wizardHarry Potter 7 (finally!) the 3D versionsmiley - ok I enjoyed it, but then I've seen them all. I was confused at some things which I may research, but overall it was smiley - magic I really enjoyed the smiley - kiss between Hermione and Ron, which was utterly convincing. At the other extreme - Harry and Ron's wooden sister, I still don't get that and wish Harry had dumped her for Luna.

Saw a trailer for Rise of the Planet of the Apes - can't wait for that. smiley - zen

Post 6079

Sho - employed again!

Nichts zu Verzollen - Nothing to Declare.

No link or I'll get modded again. a french film we saw it dubbed into English but I think it won't make it accross the channel.

Totally hilarious about the dismantling of a customs post between Belgium and France.

Post 6080

HonestIago

Just got back from Captain America and I enjoyed it. Marvel seem to have cottoned on to a formula whereby they make an adequate action film (with some nice touches) and add great and interesting visuals, a charismatic lead and talented support. It worked for Thor and it worked for this.

I liked the visuals a lot (even if the CGI was a bit ropey at times), gave the whole film a nice feel and Chris Evans is a good lead (and very easy on the eye). Plot was dumb as a sack of rocks at times but it got the job done and had some lovely little moments. Very Whedonesque dialogue at times.

Perfect popcorn fodder for a rainy afternoon

Key: Complain about this post