h2g2 Post 06.03.2000

0 Conversations


Posted: 6th March 2000

It is 'That time of year' again! The one where we all are supposed to 'give up something for Lent'. I sincerely hope that none of you are giving up h2g2 for Lent... although that might be construed as the 'supreme sacrifice'!.

Here, in England, 'Ash Wednesday' is preceded by 'Shrove Tuesday', a wonderful day when we all have a good excuse to eat 'pancakes' something akin to the French 'crepes' but usually thicker and possibly more delicious. The tradition started way back in the Elizabethan age, and is probably one of our more popular ones. The most usual way to serve them is with lemon and sugar, although they are just as good savoury... cheese, ham, 'Marmite'... you name it, we will try it! The mixture is best made a few hours before required in order to 'let it stand'. This is supposed to make it cook up better, although I am not convinced this is true!

One of the most interesting sidelines of Shrove Tuesday is the running of the 'Pancake Race' This has become something of a tradition in many villages, most notably Olney, Bucks. A pancake race has been run here since 1445, with a few breaks for war etc, and is taken very seriously. Rigorous training is undertaken by the competitors (all female), who not only have to run a course 'tossing' as they go, but have to make their own mixture and costume: an embroidered and sequinned skirt ,which takes on average 300 hours to make, and a lace headscarf. The prize at the end of all this exertion? A kiss from the curate!

shazzPRME

  • 1-2-1

  • bluDragon gets the grilling this week.

  • Take 5

  • The pick of this week's batch of new Guide entries.

  • Agony Aunt

  • h2g2 is not a 'normal' community, it doesn't have 'normal' problems, therefore a 'normal' Agony Aunt would be useless. Ours is far from 'normal'.

  • Wowbagger



  • With Mark and Peta off to Miami to do some research
    into the pubs and clubs over there, this was kind of inevitable.

  • In Reply to Mr Cynic

  • As you may remember, last week we asked Mr Cynic

    to look into the average waiting times for submitted

    entries to be approved. Here we have a reply from Anna.

  • The Think Tank


  • A central point to exchange ideas on articles. Whether you're
    writing a future Guide entry and want some help with spelling, grammar
    or content, or you have a few moments to spare and wish to proof read
    for a fellow researcher, this is the place.


Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A468218

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more