A Conversation for Ask h2g2

Do you catch taxis?

Post 21

2legs - Hey, babe, take a walk on the wild side...

SashaQ - a little bit the same for me, I'm just limited walking, if on my own, to routes I know well... Luckily for me, though, any old taxi wil do as I can clamber in and out quite easily (depending on drunkeness of course) smiley - blush nowdays I'm with William, so we just walk everywhere, I think I got a cab from home to Cambridge airport last time I flew to Sweden, but actually, W and I might as well have just walked it, as I only had carry-on luggage to carry - amazing how different people have differnt views though;
When I was in Berlin, April, at a pharmacuticle company conference thing (I think they want me as their guinnypig), we were on expenses; and they were shocked that W and I had got on foot to Cambridge station, then by rail into London, then by tube to Heathrow... - as we were on expenses, the company[s view was "Why didn't you just get a cab?" smiley - huh - gosh.... a cab from Cambridge all to Heathrow.... I'm guessing that would be about £150 at least thesedays smiley - yikes - we cost them about £30 on teh trains, using my disabled railcard smiley - laugh But I guess for those sort of corperate event type things, and with the big pharma companys, money for expenses isn't exactly lacking, afterall the one drug by that company I take costs about £3000 per year (which thankfully I don't pay anything for) smiley - huhsmiley - erm

I have, though, oddly, always wanted to jump into a London black cab, and say "follow that car!" to the driver smiley - laugh - pointint at some random car ahead smiley - laughsmiley - silly

Do you catch taxis?

Post 22

You can call me TC

Oh. An app. I had to uninstall half a dozen apps the other day because my phone said there wasn't enough space even to update a very basic app. Now I can't download any.

Do you catch taxis?

Post 23

You can call me TC

So I looked in the web to see if Uber runs in this area. "No service available".

Do you catch taxis?

Post 24

paulh, vaccinated against the Omigod Variant

Not even in the country that has Uber alles? smiley - winkeye

Do you catch taxis?

Post 25

Icy North

What was that comedy where the guy shouts 'follow that car" to the cab driver, only for him to zoom off before he can get aboard?

Do you catch taxis?

Post 26

Oh... I'm sure I vaguely remember that... but nope... can't recall which comedy it was from smiley - doh - I've a feeling that sort of thing would happen to me, were I to try! smiley - laugh

Thinking about 'getting a cab', W and I are figuring out going to the Hootoo meet tomorrow in London, and we'll walk from our house to the station, about 20 - 25 minutes, walk, then get the train to Kings X, and, rather than bothering with the hastle of gettin g the tube, we'll then just walk I guess about 25 - 30 minutes to the pub... far easier and less hastle, and less silly hot than getting down onto the tube smiley - zen and... smiley - magic an hours walking in for the day, easily, by the time we walk back to Kings X, then from Cambridge station and walk home (probably via our local pub in Cambridge which opens late, handily on a Saturday....) walking calories out, oughta aleviate some of the smiley - ale calories in smiley - zen

Do you catch taxis?

Post 27

Icy North

I think it's from a Pink Panther film. I can see Clouseau doing it.

Do you catch taxis?

Post 28

Bluebottle

'Return of the Pink Panther' (1975) A87752019

<BB<

Do you catch taxis?

Post 29

Pink Paisley

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g9DNOqvOmOc

PP.

Do you catch taxis?

Post 30

smiley - magicsmiley - laughsmiley - biggrin

Do you catch taxis?

Post 31

I've seen all the Pink Panther movies, including the awful ones and the remakes. smiley - erm

Do you catch taxis?

Post 32

bobstafford

Its a tough job but someone has to do it! smiley - biggrin

Do you catch taxis?

Post 33

As my mother used to say, you have to be smart to act that stupid.

Do you catch taxis?

Post 34

Baron Grim

I refuse to watch the Steve Martin Pink Panthers. I have too much respect for Steve Martin.

Do you catch taxis?

Post 35

Rev Nick - dead man walking (mostly)

"Follow that car !" also sound very much like a Leslie Nielsen line - - - Naked Gun and subsequent sequels. Also "Airplane" and sequels.

And don't call me Shirley

Do you catch taxis?

Post 36

Does your dog bite?

No.

Whereupon the dog bites.

I thought you said it didn't bite.

It's not my dog.

smiley - laugh

Do you catch taxis?

Post 37

Pink Paisley

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ue0fZfwHfzo

PP.

Do you catch taxis?

Post 38

Yes, that's the scene. smiley - laugh

Do you catch taxis?

Post 39

Wand'rin star

Yes - all the time and everywhere.
My parents gave up their car before I was born and quite often took taxis for longish journeys as well as regular trips up the hill from the station (they commuted into London)
Several times during my childhood, we went over the maths of owning a car but taking local taxis always worked out cheaper.
My most recent cab was from Hull back over the Humber Bridge and cost £30 for a half hour journey) Otherwise I use a bus pass into Grimsby or Lincoln But buses stop at 7pm and there aren't any on Sundays. So I walk.
I drove in Africa and Poland, but not in Hong Kong, where taxis are cheap and plentiful. I have never driven in England and one of the best days of my life was when my elder son got his driving licence and could take me to dinner at pubs and restaurants beyond walking distance(I despise people who drink and drive)smiley - starsmiley - star

Do you catch taxis?

Post 40

Rev Nick - dead man walking (mostly)

Only if going to a large social affair and we both intend to imbibe. Otherwise, with 2 cars, 2 drivers, it's easy to ensure one stays "dry" - say for a personal occasion.

Key: Complain about this post