A Conversation for Ask h2g2

The UK Election thread

Post 21

Dr Anthea - ah who needs to learn things... just google it!

It sort of makes sense if she doesn't want a hard brexit and is therefore hoping to loose but what if that's not the case what if she's just playing at politics and does want whatever is on the future cards in this horrific situation that the conservatives have arranged so far? Then she's asking us all to give her more of a reason more of our backing to pull the carpet out from under the poor,Ill, everyone... perhaps I'm being too cynical but what if she's hoping turkeys will vote for Christmas?

But labour... I don't know if they can or would save us they haven't said anything about brexit as far as I am aware and Corbin seemed good at first genuinely hoped for the best but so far it's been rather disappointing and then his own party is out to pull him and everything he does apart
so what is the choice in this vote something that I really don't want or something I can't trust?

The UK Election thread

Post 22

paulh, vaccinated against the Omigod Variant

It's okay to like or respect someone even if you disagree with their philosophy.

The UK Election thread

Post 23

Still Incognitas, Still Chairthingy, Still lurking, Still invisible, unnoticeable, missable, unseen, just haunting h2g2

This town Gosport has had a Tory MP since the 70s when it was split from Fareham and before that all the way back to the 50s it was a Tory stronghold. So I go and vote every time but essentially it's a wasted vote. So tell me why am I bothering to vote.

I think it's guilt that makes me keep trotting along to the voting booth..partly because of the suffragette movement but the thought that so many across this globe would love to be able to vote..but sometimes I do feel I'm wasting my time.

Anyway this goes a long way to why I'm sick of the explosion of political claptrap spouted across the media..I don't really feel part of the process.

The UK Election thread

Post 24

Icy North

That Gosport MP was Peter "publicly-funded moat" Viggerss, wasn't it?

I've voted since the early 1980s, but no candidate I ever voted for in any election has been returned (apart from a few MEPs by proportional representation in a large region)

The UK Election thread

Post 25

bobstafford

Who are you going to "curse" this time smiley - laugh

The UK Election thread

Post 26

Wand'rin star

I have the same problem, Incognitas. I've been voting against Edward Leigh for nearly 35 years[ nothing is going to shake his massive majority and he has yet to acknowledge any opposition. Pity the Monster Raving Loonies don't operate in Lincolnshire.
I do care passionately about the NHS, education, welfare and overseas aid and can't put in a spoilt paper in a general election, but first past he post just makes me angry.smiley - starsmiley - star

The UK Election thread

Post 27

"I'm sick of the explosion of political claptrap spouted across the media" [Incognitas]

You should have the media my country has! smiley - yikes Then again, so much is global that maybe you already do. smiley - winkeye

The UK Election thread

Post 28

Still Incognitas, Still Chairthingy, Still lurking, Still invisible, unnoticeable, missable, unseen, just haunting h2g2

<>

Indeed it was but it was Duck House Man..Now we have Fred Dinage's daughter instead. She's slightly better than Viggers so far but still a Tory at heart.

The UK Election thread

Post 29

Funny thing, but the Tories left the U.S. after the Revolution. Many of them settled in Nova Scotia. I've often wondered if my grandfather [who was born in N.S.] was descended from some of them.

The UK Election thread

Post 30

swl

Labour propose four new public holidays ... but no increase in statutory minimums so these will just be deducted from that by most employers. Absolutely pointless.

The UK Election thread

Post 31

Agreed! Anyway I'd rather not celebrate St George's Day..but if it were renamed as Shakespeare's Day I wouldn't mind.

The UK Election thread

Post 32

Pink Paisley

I suspect that this underlines the degree of desperation and lack of nous at the top of the Labour Party. I really don't wish them ill, after all we need a strong opposition, and although I'm sure that Jeremy Corbyn is a decent sort and genuine in his beliefs his supporters seem to be pretty naive politically. Idealistic, yes, but that isn't enough. The switched on members of the party have been saying this for long enough.

This morning I was listening to the radio and a sitting Labour MP was asked repeatedly if she thought that JC would make a good PM she repeatedly fell back on 'he'd make a better PM than May' (the subtext being that a card carrying monkey in a red jumper would be a better PM than May).

May wanted a stronger mandate to complete the exit deal? Yeah right. As I've said before, she sees a political opportunity to damage the Labour Party. No more.

Oh, and Corbyn daren't talk about nuclear deterrent either.

PP.

The UK Election thread

Post 33

"a card carrying monkey in a red jumper would be a better PM than May" [Pink Paisley]

This one's not carrying any cards, but he's wearing red:

http://thecuriousgeorgestore.com/index.php/shop-cg/gund-curious-george-plush-8-red-shirt.html

What cabinet post should go to the man with the yellow hat?

http://curiousgeorgetv.wikia.com/wiki/Man_with_the_Yellow_Hat

The UK Election thread

Post 34

Baron Grim

I can't explain why, but I loathed Curious George and especially The Man in the Yellow Hat when I was a kid. The books made me uncomfortable. I didn't find anything enjoyable about reading them. But they were ubiquitous.

The UK Election thread

Post 35

2legs - Hey, babe, take a walk on the wild side...

Oh. lordy.

Extreme stupidity, and incompetance abounds. And, yet somhow, due to its eubictinious nature, somehow still manages to amaze me, when its displayed to such an epic level of true neglegent stupidity.

Political sign, advertising a party/candidate, seen locally, a poster basically, many, many many, dozens of them, all down one road 9where doubt this candidate has a lot of supporters), all produly displayed in their front gardens, a poster......

"our candidate 'insert name of candidate here', Supports 'insert local issue here'

seriously. - too stupid to notice they want perhaps to consider actually replacing the text in between the ' ' ' ' with the candidates name, and the 'local issue' concern. smiley - bleepsmiley - bleepsmiley - snork

So just how much the candidate, unnamed, cares about an unnaed local issue... not at all... smiley - laugh

I think rather than not vote, I'll just vote randomly, - we've three lections here, soon, local councelers, a new mayor (no power whatsoever just a good paid job for a figure head to get to eat lots of food), and of course for MP. - I may as well just randomly stick a pin in afterall smiley - doh at least for the councelers and the mayor anyhows smiley - groan

The UK Election thread

Post 36

Maria

i would vote for Corbyn.

http://anotherangryvoice.blogspot.com.es

The UK Election thread

Post 37

"our candidate 'insert name of candidate here', Supports 'insert local issue here'" [2Legs]

Is it possible that this was a satire? That the people *knew* how inane the posters were? smiley - winkeye

The UK Election thread

Post 38

2legs - Hey, babe, take a walk on the wild side...

I'm not so sure... seems odd a few dozen houses would all do the same satrie? plus, its still the mistake of the party/candidate and/or their supporters, to have sent out to public supporters, a poster that is just a blank HQ issued template.... - plus I live opposite the Labour party HQ for the local councelers/party, and have met some of them in the pub. utter smiley - bleep ing smiley - bleep ers... but they are very good at being self congradulatory. they send out newsletters, saying they've decided to do something about something, but they dont' know what. - they never actually decide anytihing therefore, ever.But at leas t whilst their incompetance extends to not being able to actually decide to do anything, they can't actually make anyting worse, by doing stupid stuff... I guess... smiley - alienfrown

The UK Election thread

Post 39

Pink Paisley

those posters sound a bit like the Jeremy Corbyn 'insert strong message here' gaff.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cVENSWFptIM

PP.

The UK Election thread

Post 40

"What is ambition?"

smiley - laugh

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more