A Conversation for Ask h2g2

Do you use the word "trouser" in the singular?

Post 81

U14993989

Hot off the BBC press:

Cook bowled off trouser leg for 5

So here it used in the singular presumably because it is a direct trouser reference to one of the trousers: see the summary:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/cricket/28238727

Post 82

U14993989

>> My cod piece is gona be epic <<

I assume you meant priapic smiley - shrug

Post 83

KB

I think the "bowled off trouser-leg" is a bit like all the "trouser-pocket" examples earlier - for some reason the singular is in common use by non-fashion-people, but only in compound nouns.

Presumably for the same reason we talk about a "potato peeler" rather than a "potatoes peeler", even though none of us has a special peeler set aside for one particular potato.

Post 84

Icy North

Next time you come over paul, I recommend you use the terms Londoners use for these items: 'thong' and 'codpiece'. Don't worry, they'll be sure to understand.

smiley - run

Post 85

bobstafford

Only if you go to the sort of places 2legs frequents smiley - laugh

Post 86

2legs - Hey, babe, take a walk on the wild side...

smiley - snorksmiley - blushsmiley - rofl I.... I.... nah, I'm not even going to atempt to deny that smiley - blushsmiley - zensmiley - zen

I do have a special potato peeler, reserved for just peeling one potato. Doesn't everyone have that, for the special peelin gof the Christmas advent potato? Or is that just me? smiley - sillysmiley - snork

Post 87

paulh, vaccinated against the Omigod Variant

"Yep, braces are what we call those over-shoulder-trouser-hanger things ok" [recumbentman]

Thanks! smiley - ok

Icy, I am not sure I should take your advice about thongs and codpieces. It sounds fishy.....

Post 88

ITIWBS

...potato peeler, also called a 'chipping knife', especially in the event one wants ultra thin slices of something other than potato peel...

2legs, I saw some some preliminary thoughts above on a cod-piece survival kit.

Anything to add to that?

The idea does have some comic strip possibilities.

Post 89

My thoughts are both varied, multiple, and quite probably rather perplexing, and, furthermore, some would, no doubt say, both worrying and confusing smiley - zen

Right...

you know people who do a lot of DIY, or sort of semi-skilled/skilled manual work; carpenters, builders, that kinda thing; Often have their 'utility belt':?

Often a sort of leather belt, with various 'pockets on it; in which they keep useful items of their trade....

Well, In many ways, I view my ultimate cod piece creation, as, in many respects, being a 'utility codpiece'.

Something which, asides its asetics, and, indeed protective qualities, could serve as a utalitarian device, for storage of all of ones necessaries.

This is, in fact, one reason, asides the purely asetic, for which I think the codpiece creation needs to be epic in creation and size (and lets face it, I'm not gona fool anyone as to their being any other reason for having it as large as is planned smiley - blush ) smiley - snork

I'm thinking, a basic tool kit; screwdrivers, adjustible spanner, al alenkeys, maybe a reel of gaffa tape, and a can of WD40. Perhaps a wirecutter/pliers.

Then, of course, a section to contain lighter, cigarettes, hankerchief, etc; a gentlmans normal accruitments. Storage for, say some mints, or a b breth freshner spray, would be useful, and of course, storage for lose change smiley - 2cents And, of course, a dedicated place for dood storage; Emergency cheese rations, and maybe enough room for a couple of sandwichs, or filled rolls.

This will, of course, determine some of the asetics of the utility codpiece; I'm thinking lots of zips, for compartments, poppers, or, and my current favoured solution; lots of nice chrome buckles smiley - zen and, indeed, with the buckles, using studs as fastenings for the straps, which would further define the items asetics.

Black leather and chrome, I think is the obvious combination although there may be something to be said for going down the route of brass metalware, with black leather, or, indeed, a more weathered/fatigued dark brown-leather look smiley - zen I'm not even sure... mind... how one is supposed to wear a codpiece...... nor, indeed, how easy it would be to remove, when one... smiley - blush needed too... smiley - blushsmiley - diva hmmm.... need to think more about the overall asetics, I feel... how would it match with my leather corset... leather hat... leather boots.... leather jacket... and, potentially leather torusers.... that's an aweful lot of l leather smiley - snorksmiley - divasmiley - biker - I'd love, love love, to be able to just make the e entire codpiece out of steel, but, I really don't have either the workshop space/tools, nor aptitude and skills necessary to work steel in that manner.... although.... now I'm really wondering if there is any way I can fit some chainmail into the asetics/ design of the utility codpiece... curious idea... I think I like it... smiley - zen

Oh, and, of course, a suitable accruitment of D and O-rings, on the codpiece, just... in case they were needed by anyone smiley - whistlesmiley - handcuffs and, actually, thinking about it, they'd match up seemlessly with the D-rings on my leather corset smiley - cool

Then, and, only then. I feel I'd be dressed in a suitable manner for considering goign through airport security.... that could be a serious blast smiley - snorksmiley - snorksmiley - snorksmiley - snorksmiley - rofl

Post 90

bobstafford

I imagine something the shape and size of the Black Russian as sported by Mr Atkinson in series 1smiley - laugh

Be a bug#er in a lift smiley - cool but smiley - laugh

Post 91

That very one, may indeed, be a particularly big influence, apon much of my design ideas thusly smiley - laughsmiley - snork

it'd be wonderously cumbersome... and no doubt annoying to both the wearer, and those unfortunate to be in close proximity;..... - rush hour on the London underground could be even* more uncomfortable than useual, for other travellers smiley - whistle turn round, excessively fast, in the post office queue...... or move a little bit too quickly on a set of stairs, and a poor unfortunate, on teh steps ahead... could have their descent increased to a speed which they hadn't intended smiley - whistle

Post 92

bobstafford

Waitrose will have to extend the handles on the trollies if the fashion catches on.

It will be hard to dive your sports car, bike will be OK if you mind the cross bar.smiley - laugh

Post 93

smiley - snorksmiley - rofl OH deary.... smiley - snork

Post 94

bobstafford

On the plus side you could set up a hoop La stall with a few mates.

Oh dear the phrase "cock a hoop" has just forced itself into my mind.

Post 95

Oh. Lordy. I very nearly wet myself laughing then I think smiley - snorksmiley - roflsmiley - roflsmiley - snork hoopla! hoopla! hoopla!
*dances round shouting 'hoopla' whilst wearing codpiece* smiley - boingsmiley - snorksmiley - rofl

I think you've just solved the problem, of a theme for my 40th birthday party, in a few years time.... smiley - rofl- sadly, when I checked, there was some issues regarding my origional ideas of hiring dwarves for the day, and ... other rahter non politically corect but fabulusly silly ideas I had... smiley - whistle

Post 96

bobstafford

Hold your celebration in eastern Europe some aspects of politically correct has not reached there yet. You can still hire many unusual things/people.

You can get some good historical costume maskers the supply the kit cods et al

Post 97

yeh... but... the idea was... the dwarves would be the waiters... each carrying a glass bowl of cocaine on their head... jsut the right height for any guests to grab a pinch or two from the bowl smiley - snork which would be a bit pointless seeing as how I'm a good boy now, and woudln't ever dream of taking such stuff and rubbish myself smiley - zen er... and... like, of course I never did or anything, ever... smiley - whistlesmiley - snork I think Sculptures... edible ones... which are erotic are still a definate must for the party though... smiley - laughsmiley - snork

Post 98

paulh, vaccinated against the Omigod Variant

To think that we wandered so far away from the topic of singular/plural trousers. smiley - tongueout

Post 99

Not really... even dwarves wear trousers, sometimes.... and some, probably keep their coke in the pockets smiley - sillysmiley - snork

I'm wearing a singularly boring unimpressive pair of linen trousers, At the moment... which I bought many years ago, and, which, because I don't like a] spending money when I don't have too, and b] going clothes shopping, I still wear... they're fine... if about 4 to 6 inchs too big on the waist... but... they've got a tie thinggy on them, rather than a belt doobry... so for the most part don't tend to fall down....

Post 100

bobstafford

Unless you want .......smiley - bubbly

Try sherbert people won't notice if you lace the drinks. The party sounds expensive though edible statues ... Won the lotto! Just settle for some chocolate wil#ies, I guess your guests would regard that as the best bit anyway. You can get some real good and in a shop on Bristol docks.
The nobs go sailing from there.

Key: Complain about this post