A Conversation for Ask h2g2

Do you use the word "trouser" in the singular?

Post 21

You can call me TC

Oh. I've remembered it wrong. It was called breeching, not trousering.

smiley - doh

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Breeching_(boys)

Post 22

2legs - Hey, babe, take a walk on the wild side...

OO... a salor outfit... smiley - winkeyesmiley - snorksmiley - bigeyes Trousers are so unnecessary... feels odd being back in them after a week or so away, err, not wearing much or anything at all, mostly smiley - blushsmiley - blush clothes are so* unatural smiley - blush Mind, I'd really feel nakered if it were not for a collar smiley - blushsmiley - handcuffs

Post 23

Recumbentman

Is 'trousers' singular or plural?

Singular at one end, plural at the other.

The OED thinks that trousers is derived, via trouse and trews "Apparently taken in 16th cent. from Irish (and Scottish Gaelic) triubhas".

Now while such a word looks like a singular in Irish (compare luas, speed, and rialtas, government) the water is muddied again by the suggestion, also quoted in OED, that the Celtic triubhas represents Old French trebus, from late Latin tubrācōs, with the medieval quote ‘tubrucos vocatos quod tibias braccasque tegant’ which puts it in the plural (they are called tubrucos, that cover legs and arms).

To confuse matters further, the Irish language has not only a singular and plural , but also a dual number. Hence the habit of saying 'a scissors', 'a ballocks', and indeed 'making a balls of it'.

Post 24

paulh, vaccinated against the Omigod Variant

smiley - cdouble

In my country, we use the expression "pair of pants" or "pair of trousers." Appairently each trouser leg counts as one garment, even though it is physically attached to another. smiley - winkeye

Post 25

They are not always* attached one to the other though... especially if... one err... accidentially dammages the item of clothing in question smiley - snorksmiley - silly
*does the splits* smiley - bruised oops. that wasn't a good idea.... the trouser[s] are fine mind.... at least smiley - snork

Post 26

You're preaching to the choir, 2Legs. smiley - smiley I went mountain climbing one time. When I was almost at the summit, my pants split in the crotch smiley - blush. The people I was climbing with didn't notice or were too polite to mention it.

Post 27

smiley - bigeyes ahh... but waht a hastle it can all be... Far simpler to just buy crotchless clothing smiley - whistlesmiley - run

Post 28

I didn't know there was such a thing. Does it meet standards of decency? smiley - bigeyes

Post 29

I know about it; i think that fact alone certainly implies, if not proves, that it most certainly does not meet any level of decency whatsoever smiley - snork

Often... on trousers... they've.... basically.... got a zip.... often all the way round the crotch, and right up the back, to basically where one's belt might be, on the trouser's waistline... they are... most often... err, or at least those I've seen, very often leather trousers smiley - whistle err... the underwear/knickers versions of the same, have several variations... some with zips... some not, depending on the matteiral smiley - blush

err. Understand, right; I only know this of course, due to extensive research online into this for potential use in an almost entirely unrelated guide entry... not... otherwise soemthing I'd know... right/ smiley - blushsmiley - snork

Post 30

Well, then, if you only had one of them, it would be called a trouser. smiley - doh

Post 31

ITIWBS

Buckskin trousers, as employed by native Americans in the pre-colonial era, were usually separate garments secured to a belt or suspenders worn over a knee length cotton shirt, with an apron type breech clout fore and aft for modesty's sake, usually with a fringed buckskin tunic or jacket worn over that.

Head gear and footgear varied considerably from tribe to tribe with tribes using that basic ensemble.

Post 32

Recumbentman

Does anyone use the word "britch" in the singular?

Post 33

ITIWBS

'britches', variation on 'breaches' or 'breeks'

Post 34

The britches of Madison County? smiley - tongueout

Post 35

bobstafford

McBeths 3 britches, well being a king he would have a couple of sapressmiley - tongueout

Post 36

U14993989

trou sounds French for hole ... so maybe the hindlimb equivalent to the forelimb sleeve. For the uniped only one is needed for the biped two would seem to be the appropriate math. For those with two or more legs - the so called zi-ped, it becomes the zipped trous-ers.

Post 37

In the Bible, there's a hart named As Pants. smiley - smiley

Post 38

U14993989

Regarding the origin of the trousers, I found the following quite singular:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-28129078

Post 39

U14993989

>> In the Bible, there's a hart named As Pants <<

Verily one of the biblical tribes of Israel went forth to multiply a leading brand of trousers.

Post 40

The sons of Levi, right? smiley - winkeye

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more