Deathlist 2013 - the official thread

Post 121

Peanut

Vo Nguyen Giap

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-24403791

Post 122

Galaxy Babe - eclectic editor

Natural causes I assume, there's no cause of death that I can find so 15 points to Spiller for his unique hit. A87781972 and A87781963 updated, and we have a new joint leader.

GB
smiley - galaxysmiley - diva

Post 123

Icy North

He *was* 102!

Post 124

Mu Beta

Yes, I rather believe reaching the age of 102 counts as natural causes.

B

Post 125

Well, I read the links just in case he'd been bumped off, that'd have been extra pointssmiley - tongueout

Post 126

Peanut

Frederick Sanger

The chap that messed about in his lab

http://www.theguardian.com/science/2013/nov/20/dna-pioneer-fred-sanger-dies-genetics

smiley - peacedove

Post 127

Beatrice

Oh dear, Mr Dreadful, only you and I still sitting on a zero!

Post 128

Orcus

Oof, a great scientist of our time. I hope they kept his code smiley - winkeye

He might have been modest but that doesn't mean you don't get institutes named after you.

http://www.sanger.ac.uk/

smiley - peacedove

Post 129

Hoovooloo

I had Vo Nguyen Giap for two or three years about five or six years ago...

Post 130

swl

Points all round I reckon - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-25249520 Nelson Mandella

Post 131

Orcus

We were just watching a comedian talking about where you were when famous people die....

Well here I was in my front room surfing t'net.

smiley - sadface

Would like to say that a nonagenarian had a great life but much of it was spent in jail. smiley - erm

A great man if ever there was one.

smiley - peacedove

Post 132

Magwitch - My name is Mags and I am funky.

smiley - peacedove

Post 133

Peanut

smiley - rose

wishing you well smiley - peacedove

smiley - rainbow

Post 134

Gingersnapper+Keeper of the Cookie Jar and Stuff and Nonsense

. .. … smiley - rose . .. … smiley - rose . smiley - rose . .. ...

Post 135

Mol - on the new tablet

I know we had plenty of time to prepare for this. But I just keep welling up smiley - brave

Apart from the moment earlier today when the candles on a shrine set the cellophane bouquet-wrappings alight, and an official set about trying to beat out the rapidly-spreading fire with a bunch of chrysanthemums. I actually found that very funny.

Mol

Post 136

Orcus

As I'm sure Nelson would have smiley - smiley

His death really has got me thinking what giant the man really was. In the 20th Century there was him and there was Ghandi - anyone else come close?

Post 137

Hoovooloo

As usual, the Onion has it spot on...

http://www.theonion.com/articles/nelson-mandela-becomes-first-politician-to-be-miss,34755/

Post 138

I couldn't hold back the tears as I have lots of memories associated with this great man. My father thought Nelson Mandela was the greatest living human. He outlived my Dad by 7 years, they were actually born in the same year so my father followed his life more closely, before he became a much-loved global statesman. I remember watching the "walk of freedom" on the TV news with my Dad. I was staying at my mother's house when the news broke, ready to evacuate her in case of flooding. I'm sure my Dad was first in the queue to shake his hand. RIP Nelson Mandela. smiley - peacedove

15 points to Spiller for his unique hit for Frederick Sanger.
7 players got 10 points each for Nelson Mandela.

A87781972 and A87781963 updated, and we have a new leader, Spiller on 50 points.

smiley - skullI am now accepting submissions for the 2014 Deathlist Game, it does take time to set up and I'm not around much so I'll be preparing it in advance. Same addy as before: [email protected] please assist me by putting your Researcher name and number in the title of the email and thank you to everyone who puts their selections into alphabetical order which is a great helpsmiley - cheers

GB
smiley - galaxysmiley - diva

Post 139

logicus tracticus philosophicus

Making it easy for you galaxy use same list as last year will send 4 more names later...yeah still expecting one to go..jus finished loading the shotgun..extra points for a murder victim yes!!?...

strange only one with no point has death in ativar..Beatrice De'Ath...

Post 140

Beatrice

What can I say? I picked a few people I admire, and so I'm rather pleased they're all still here smiley - cheerup

Key: Complain about this post