A Conversation for Ask h2g2

Is music dying a slow death

Post 101

BobTheFarmer

*In full agreement with H+S*

(apart from the bit about drum n bass!!!)

Post 102

BobTheFarmer

"Stuff we liked, by bands we liked. When we were young enough to dance to it."

"music death , i'm talking about music as we knew it , that type is dying ."

Well, thats always gonna happen isnt it. You parents probably complained about the new music with no talent, and their parents before them.

Its called change, apparently as humans get older they appreciate this less...

Post 103

bubba-fretts

"Stuff we liked, by bands we liked. When we were young enough to dance to it."

Sorry that was supposed to have been sarcastic.smiley - biggrin

Post 104

BobTheFarmer

I get ya, I've said it before, we need a or a smiley!!!

Post 105

azahar

<> (Bob)

Yup, when I was ten years old and played the Beatles and the Stones all day my father called it *noise* and harkened back to Frank Sinatra saying, 'now there was a guy who could sing!'

Now that I'm older than my father was when he made that comment, I don't consider myself to be that 'closed' and narrow-minded about new music. I simply wait for something I enjoy, which I find very little of in the top-40 charts.

I am in agreement with hopandshout that there is a constant supply of wonderful new music available to us if we only take a bit of time to look for it. Mind you, my taste in music has always been very eclectic.

az

Post 106

fords - number 1 all over heaven

I work in radio, which has broadened my musical knowledge no end, and let me tell you something - there's just as much drivel hailing from the 60s, 70s and 80s as there is these days. The main problem we have today is information overload of the same thing - I mean, who needs 20 + music channels bombarding you with the same tripe 24/7? Where's the diversity? Keane, Scissors etc are not dire. They're not talentless musicians. They write their own songs and write their own music - and it's bloody good!

Fair enough, I can't stand most of the crap in the British charts these days. But as someone else said previously, I appreciate the fact that someone has taken the time out to do something creative (even if it is the latest Britney Spears 'song'). I might not like to prance around to Rachel Stevens and all those silly little 'nu-metal' bands but each to their own, I say.

Post 107

U1567414

Stuff we liked, by bands we liked. When we were young enough to dance to it. ...>>. correct not many left now lolsmiley - winkeye

Post 108

U1567414

some of the new bands bring out songs from the 70s 80s why ,because they know it will be loved by all ages . what kind of dances cant you do to todays music unless your a zombie that is .smiley - winkeye

Post 109

BobTheFarmer

I don't think I've ever seen a zombie at a rave, which is all about dancing.

Pretty sure I've seen quite a few zombies at metal nights though...

Post 110

Merdo the Grey, the parton of fuzzy thinking

Music will not die. People will always listen to some sort of music or another. And whatever your likes, you will find others who appreciate the same sort.

The music i really dug when I was young enough play and sing (I never danced much) ... But which music did I dig ... and just when? Billie Holiday? Thelonius Monk? Bach and Vivaldi? Woodie Guthrie, Miles Davis? Bob Dylan, The New Lost City Ramblers? Skip James? Beethoven? The Doors? Howlin' Wolf? Verdi? Bukka White? The Vanilla Fudge? Quicksilver Messenger Service? Carlos Santana Willie Nelson? Ravi shankar? Paco de Lucia? Ian Drury? ....

The problem isn't that the music coming out today is poorer than the music forty years ago (although i think it is) but that I no longer am ravenous for new musical experiences ... I keep listening to the same stuff as way back then into a new era ... The old dudes (or some of them anyway) seem to get better and better with age ... like wine or brandy.

smiley - fish ~^M^~ smiley - hsif

Post 111

U1567414

I don't think I've ever seen a zombie at a rave, which is all about dancing. >.> put ur specs on next time lolsmiley - winkeye

Post 112

coelacanth

An interesting article in the Guardian today about how live music is more popular than ever and it's the internet that has helped. For example, even small obscure bands can set up a website, fans go there to chat etc and then find out about gigs.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/arts/fridayreview/story/0,12102,1537784,00.html
smiley - bluefish

Post 113

U1567414

mind the headache pills they should be handed out at the gigs

Post 114

Blues Shark - For people who like this sort of thing, then this is just the sort of thing they'll like

well, I'd suggest ear-muffs for much of the pants that the Gaurdian were recommending.

Been awhile since anybody has accused Glastonbuy of being 'vital', I'll be bound.

smiley - shark

Post 115

ChiefNautilus

Mmm I agree... It's also printed in a section called "arts" friday review which annoys me greatly. smiley - steam

Post 116

Mu Beta

I think my musical taste might be dying a slow death. I'm listening to Chas n'Dave. smiley - erm

B

Is music dying a slow death?

Post 117

kea ~ Far out in the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the Galaxy lies a small, unregarded but very well read blue and white website

>>Having said all this, the singles charts do seem to be dying. But isn't a CD with mostly empty space utterly pointless anyway?<< Bouncy (from the backlog)

I thought they stopped basing singles charts on actual sales a decade or so ago.

Post 118

ebay_moon

I recently gave Progressive Metal a try upon a recommendation. Amazing stuff, nothing like I was expecting. Can anyone recommend any other other progressive metal bands other than Opeth or Evergrey?
Any suggestions would be gratefully received...

Post 119

BouncyBitInTheMiddle

Do Tool count maybe?

Post 120

Primeval Mudd (formerly Roymondo)

Righty. Roymondo's smiley - 2cents

Glastonbury is as vital as any other music festival, and more so than most. Diversity, baby.

Chaz 'n Dave. Gods.

Tool. See my previous point and add a large dollop of 'Whey-hey!'

Right. Back to the pub.smiley - ale

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more