A Conversation for Ask h2g2

Naf things fubbed up

Post 1281

You can call me TC

Elsewhere in H2G2, NAFF stands for non-addicted family and friends. And we all know what they are (see A206894).

I have heard the P.O.S.H. explanation but also another couple, one involved the French word poche (pocket), which must have had some significance in the 20's or whenever cruises became fashionable.

to bring up a very English expression, I suddenly found myself saying "on your tod" the other day - meaning on your own - where does that come from?

On your tod

Post 1282

a girl called Ben

Cockney rhyming slang from a jockey called Tod Sloan - on your own

Not the rhyming slang again

Post 1283

plaguesville

"On yer Todd?"
I had "known" for yonks that this derived from "Todd Sloane = alone" but I can't remember how I came by this particular gem, nor who TS was.
http://www.shu.ac.uk/web-admin/phrases/index.html
will confirm the meaning, and a whole host of other stuff, (even canine recreational activity) but does not help with the origin. Any Bow Bells researchers around?

S O S syndrome

Post 1284

plaguesville

I remember the "Port Out ... " being discredited but I couldn't recall why. Thanks to:
http://www.shu.ac.uk/cgi-bin/tp_post4.cgi?=287800
it looks like another piece of reverse engineering.

S O S syndrome

Post 1285

Nikki-D

Where does the "yonks" come from ? Is it commonly used outside these sceptered isles ?

Naf things fubbed up

Post 1286

Gnomon - time to move on

Americans, particularly those involved in computer science, often use "foobar", which originally was "fubar = f****d up beyond all recognition". Another such word was "snafu" meaning "situation normal all f****d up".

Naf things fubbed up

Post 1287

Nikki-D

Know snafu well, but fubar's a new one for me - I think I'll start using it here (where I work) - should be able to get it into every other sentence it's so bad here !

Have we had "dork" here before ? Does it come from Dorking in Surrey, and is it full of dorks ? Is dorking a rude act ?

Naf things fubbed up

Post 1288

a girl called Ben

Have you ever tried walking to Dorking?

No, but I have tried crawling and that's appalling

*sorry*

Dork

Post 1289

Kaeori

Dork is not in my dictionary. Please enlighten.smiley - smiley

Dork

Post 1290

Is mise Duncan

I've been under the impression that the word "Dork" was American?
It's probably because it is filed in the same section of my alarmingly deficient brain as "Dufus" and "Geek".

So - I too await enlightenment smiley - winkeye

Dork

Post 1291

Pheroneous

'Godalm!' Ingrid exclaimed, then, clad in leather, headed up some cran fields, or were they rye, gate closed behind, headed further up the red hill, with Hazle merely clad in shere stockings, felt purley, but she soon couls down.

Dork

Post 1292

Phil

Fubar and snafu are both old WWII acronyms, so it's not just computer types who have used it.

British English

Post 1293

Merdo the Grey, Patron Saint of fuzzy thinking

While and whilst mean the same thing, they're just used differently. While is both a time adverb in a concrete sense "i'll do this while you do that" and an adverb of time in a abstract sense "I like this while you like that"

Whilst is an outdated form that only was used in the concrete time sense.

Some modern users still use it interchangeably with while.

If in doubt, dont use it ...

Anyways, I don't!

British English

Post 1294

Pheroneous

Whilst I applaud your use of the term concrete (a constituent of which is CEMENT, a very interesting subject indeed) I disagree with your contention. Each has its place and purpose (While and whilst), but I suspect you will find the subject well aired if you care to look back through the 1000 odd postings. (see you about this time tomorrow!)

Leather and Shere Stockings

Post 1295

Percy von Wurzel

Pheroneous, young scout, are you feeling quite alright? Where did you get this piece of deathly prose? Have you become entangled with decadent aliens in some other forum (or Forum)?

British English

Post 1296

vodka and coke

I was away for one day and it took me an hour to catch up on all the postings!! There was lots I wanted to say on topics that are now so old I cant. Oh well. I'm finaly up to date at least.

British English

Post 1297

Phil

Speak up V&A and let your voice be heard.

British English

Post 1298

Pheroneous

Sorry, Percy, just being a dork in trying to play with Surrey towns.

While/whilst. I would contend that words have much more than dictionary meanings. Thus, in International English, while is the simple straightforward world to use. Whilst in BE we have overtones & undertones that might make the word appropriate, one of which might be wishing to present the appearance of a BOF, disguising the youthful and razor-sharp wit that is the real Pheroneous.

Dork overload

Post 1299

Kaeori

Percy's right. Pheroneous probably need to take a lie down with some prestat tuffs and a cappuccino. smiley - smiley

Still none the wiser about dork.

BTW, is it better to write 'no one' or no-one'?

British English

Post 1300

vodka and coke

Ok, this is going way back but once I have made all these points, my mind will be at ease!!

1. Lardy cake is from Dorset, as is all pig/lard related food stuffs because of all the pig farms round there. Cider comes from the Sommerset/Dorset region too.

2. There are in fact two infinities, infinity and eternity. One is a number and one is time. And you can never reach ininity, you can get closer but never reach it.

3. I would assume the Queen beloved Corgies are also pronounced 'dawgs'. Why do the Royal Family get one 'type' of English and us commoners get another?!!

4. Beatrix Potter was infact evil. She brain washed little children with stories of Bunnies and Kittens and is taken as a great writter but is infact a blot on literary history. Now lets here no more about Bunnies!!

5. There are hundreds more words taken from sailing and the army. I forget them now but they are in regular use by my Grandad so I wil talk to him tonight and then post some tomorrow!!

Ok, that's it. I'll shut up now and we are completly up to date!!

4. The origion of POSH decribed is totaly true, it was Port over, Starboard home.

Key: Complain about this post