A Conversation for Ask h2g2

Fur or Hair

Post 1081

vodka and coke

True. This has absolutely nothing to do with the origional thread any more. Oh well.

Fur or Hair

Post 1082

Pheroneous

Before Mistress K gets us back to the subject...

The protruding rebars on Greek houses are a by-product of their (until recently, lack of a) mortgage and finance system. The family has a plot of land - handed down the generations, included in dowries etc. - and they save before they build. They might build first three rooms, then add another three and so on, as they can afford it, leaving the rebars protruding so that a future floor can be added above. Later the son or daughter will build the next floor, as their apartment, and the brother/sister the next and so on. All is financed within the family, not by the bank. Of course things are changing now, but thats the traditional way.

I see, K, that a conversion from the Belgian variety is underway. I am, of course, extremely wealthy and would gladly send all and sundry piles of truffles. Unfortunately, there seems to be a little misunderstanding at the bank and they do not, purely a temporary aberration you understand, share my assessment of my worth. Regrettably, therefore, the truffles will have to be purely imaginary.

Fur or Hair

Post 1083

Phil

V&A (Makes me feel like I'm talking to a museum smiley - tongueout) I think that this thread has stayed true to it's original intentions in discussing the vagaries of british english. Even if the first post was directly about dogs, over 1000 posts later and we're discussing fur and hair which dogs have smiley - winkeye

Imaginary feast.

Post 1084

vodka and coke

Imaginary truffles would be lovely, and since we are sending eachother imaginary food, I would like to send everyone the gorgeous delicacy called a McFlurry!! I know they aren't expencive, and are widely available, but they are really, REALLY yummy. Especially the crnchy flavour.

Imaginary feast.

Post 1085

vodka and coke

Imaginary truffles would be lovely, and since we are sending eachother imaginary food, I would like to send everyone the gorgeous delicacy called a McFlurry!! I know they aren't expencive, and are widely available, but they are really, REALLY yummy. Especially the crunchy flavour.

Imaginary feast.

Post 1086

Pheroneous

So good she did it twice!

wonky is a word I have been using a lot recently, as in V&A's entry went a bit wonky. I present it to you as a putative entry into the British (only) vocabulary.

Imaginary feast.

Post 1087

Pheroneous

(V&A. I appear to have made an assumption. If I have mis-sexed you, and if that in any way offends you, I offer a slight apology. (But Vodka & Apple is not a very manly drink, is it? he muttered to himself)(After all its hardly a great insult)(Mind you there are those who would purse a lip or two)(Ah, well, too late now anyway)

Imaginary feast.

Post 1088

Is mise Duncan

As in the masterful bit of a childrens TV program called "Wonky donkey"?

I'll add "skewiff" (sp?) which seems to be another way of saying askew smiley - winkeye.

Imaginary feast.

Post 1089

Wand'rin star

This obviously needs a reply from Dr Wonky, but he doesn't seem to be around at present.
Synonyms in my part of Britain include "skew whiff", from skewed, I think.What about "iffy" or "dodgy" or do they have moral rather than physical connotations?

Cocked up

Post 1090

Wand'rin star

Simulpost from family members there. Is it in the genes?

Cocked up

Post 1091

Percy von Wurzel

May I offer pear-shaped, awry and duff for consideration?
I heard an American, on the Today programme this morning, pronounce inquiry (personally I prefer enquiry) 'inkwherry'. Why do they butcher our language in this way?

Cocked up

Post 1092

Phil

Guess that if it's skew wiff then it's not shipshape.

Cocked up

Post 1093

Is mise Duncan

"Slapdash" and "slipshod" for shoddy.
Where did those words/phrases come from?

Cocked up

Post 1094

Kaeori

Excuse me, but I think you'll find that we pronounce 'inquiry' quite correctly. We like to get the stress in on the first syllable, whereas you Brits are a bit lazy, hanging around until the second syllable.smiley - tongueout

But before your outrage overtakes you, I must compliment Brits on chocolate choux buns. Mmmmm, just finished one.smiley - smiley How do they get so much fresh cream in there? In all honesty, I just finished two, because one is never enough - although two is a little too much. I don't recall ever seeing these back in the US.

Cocked up

Post 1095

Gnomon - time to move on

Maybe because it's their language too?

Cocked up

Post 1096

Wand'rin star

Webster's Encyclopedic (sic) Unabridged gives both pronunciations for "enquiry", the offending one second.
Slipshod, meaning careless, would seem to come from shod in slippers as opposed to proper shoes or boots.. Slapdash might be the seventeenth century version of "quick and dirty" as it seems to include connotations of both.
Kaeori - are you talking about eclairs?

Cocked up

Post 1097

You can call me TC

Good English word that, éclairs.

English words

Post 1098

Nikki-D

It's true.
As English is the universal language, all other languages now are ipso facto subsets (and always have been as we've merrily borrowed words left, right & centre)

Chocolate Choux Buns

Post 1099

Gnomon - time to move on

There are two types of chocolate choux buns. Both are stuffed with cream. Eclairs are about five inches long and an inch wide. Profiteroles are small and round, about 1.5 inches across. The chocolate sauce is usually more liquid than on eclairs.

Chocolate Choux Buns

Post 1100

Pheroneous

Sentiment echoed re:enquiry. To the dog-house Percy.

Profiteroles contain a custard-like substance (creme Anglais), not cream. Eclairs don't (mightily impressed by that accent, how do you do that?). I have also seen, for want of the right name, round eclairs with a hat on.

Now then, have we done this already:

Bakewell Tart
Eccles Cakes
Chelsea Buns
Dundee Cake
Cornish Pasty

Key: Complain about this post