It's going to get more confusing...

Post 461

threesecondmemory

Or its the mutts nuts.

Stay lucky.............threesecodnemory

The Mutts Nuts

Post 462

threesecondmemory

I think they say the "dogs bollocks" is good as most pet dogs have their nuts chopped off to stop them making little dogs, so a dog with bollocks would think they are pretty dam marvellous and that he was lucky to have them. Any clearer? clear as mud.....stay lucky.

Dealing?

Post 463

Kaeori

Just be careful if you go stateside and you're offered a pot plant. You'll have the feds crawling all over you.smiley - winkeye

Dealing?

Post 464

a girl called Ben

My husband - a Scot - once walked into a room of Americans, South Africans, Ozzies and Kiwis and said:

"Can I bum a fag off anyone?"

Not a question he asked twice!

Dealing?

Post 465

Kaeori

The embarrassment can work both ways.

Where I come from we call your ass ('bottom' for the Brits) your 'fanny'.smiley - tongueout

Dealing?

Post 466

Is mise Duncan

Yeah - I remember a comedy program in which one character threatened to kick another in the fanny...I was deeply confused and shocked...and we've already had the fact that Mrs. Bundy's parents in "Married with Children" are the Wanker family.

Dealing?

Post 467

Munchkin

I am told (it may be apochrapyl (sp?)) that Phil Collins once appeared on Miami Vice. During the programme he shouts, at the top of his lungs "You W**nker!". Apparently he got away with it as the producers wanted him to say something Londony, and they didn't know what it meant.
I suppose the bum/fanny thing can lead to sniggers in both senses when applied to Fanny Craddock and her famous doughnuts. (She was an old TV cook and, after making some doughnuts, her husband turned to camera and said; "May all your doughnuts turn out like Fanny's." Indeed!)

I hope no-one is offended by the above, I'd think of some better way of saying it if I was even vaguely eloquent.

Other spoken gaffes

Post 468

Is mise Duncan

Of course there's the famous cricket one: "Tha batsman's 'Holding', the bowler's 'Willey'"

Other spoken gaffes

Post 469

Phil

And the clssic sketch, Who's on first, What's on second...

Dog business just don't make sense!

Post 470

Doc Shax

I think the point is that you are not meant to understand it. We speak in a kind of code, just to baffle foreigners! It even works within Britain too. When I worked in London, I could have a private telephone conversation with my wife, even in a crowded room, by speaking in "broad Yorkshire," my native dialect. Likewise, I still have trouble understanding Scouse, Geordie and Cockney.

More confusion...

Post 471

Kaeori

I still sometimes forget that here in Britain you call the second floor of a building the first floor!smiley - tongueout

More confusion...

Post 472

Munchkin

I think you will find we call the first floor of a building the first floor. smiley - winkeye

More confusion...

Post 473

Is mise Duncan

Yeah smiley - tongueout
It's calling the ground floor the first floor that is wrong - don't you realise that buildings are zero-based?

More confusion...

Post 474

Kaeori

Perhaps, then, a simple '0' instead of a 'G' might be more appropriate in British elevators ('lifts', if you must).

And '-1' instead of 'B', of course.smiley - winkeye

More confusion...

Post 475

Phil

But you could put an 'S' in lifts in the US (or wherever they use 1 to be the ground floor) for street level...

If ground is 1 and basement is -1, where's 0?

confusion reigns

Post 476

Walter of Colne

Hi Phil,

Yes, you are right. Exactly the same simple logic can be applied to dating the MILLENNIUM. 1BC and then straight to 1AD - there is no year 0. That's why centuries end on the hundred, and millenniums end on the thousand. So the twenty-first century and the 'new' millennium both start next year. Sorry to disrupt the thread.

Walter.

Dealing?

Post 477

james

heard of a mayor wanda (furguson)on the evening news last night.some town out west somewhere. the anchor bearly kept from laughing.dont try too hard to understand we yanks some maybe yankers

Dealing?

Post 478

Trillian's child

*in best British accent*

Sorry but would you awfully mind explaining that so we can share the joke?

Dealing?

Post 479

U128068

How would you Septics number your stairs then?
Would you call the ground the first step and the first raised platform the second step, just as you do with floors?

Scon(e)s?

Post 480

Dinsdale Piranha

From Kaeori: 'Just like you call jelly 'jam'.'

As I understand it, we have jam AND jelly that can be spread on your toast/scone. 'Jam' is the whole fruit boiled up with lots of sugar then put into a jar, e.g., Raspberry jam, strawberry jam, etc. 'Jelly', in addition to the stuff served up at childrens parties, is also stuff that is made in the same way as jam, but has all the bits strained out of it before being put into the jar, e.g, Bramble jelly.

Key: Complain about this post