A Conversation for Ask h2g2

Data, while interesting has little practical application to spur further research

Post 8401

Rod

I bow to yer superior research ~ well, nod anyway

Data, while interesting has little practical application to spur further research

Post 8402

Vestboy

Are we approaching "useful" yet?
When I use my wireless mouse and keyboard the TV remote turns on my ipod when I don't want it turned on. That's a really useless fact as far as I'm concerned.

useless facts

Post 8403

Mr. X ---> "Be excellent to each other. And party on, dudes!"

~*~Mr X, If I said I needed to know that wouldn't it render your entry as inadmissible in this thread?~*~

I don't see how, since I was actually just asking a question. I must admit, however, that I can't conceive of any situation where a person /needs/ to know (or could even find it potentially useful to know) what a tittle is. I only know what a tittle is because of this Thread.

Getting back to useless facts, and I dare anyone to challenge this, Seabiscuit was War Admiral's distant cousin.

smiley - pirate

useless facts

Post 8404

Baron Grim

Go back far enough and YOU are War Admiral's distant cousin.

useless facts

Post 8405

Baron Grim

Almost all bananas you'll find in markets are from two domesticated strains that cannot reproduce naturally; instead they are cultivated from cuttings or by tissue culture.

useless facts

Post 8406

hellboundforjoy

I may be distantly related to Oscar Wilde and Tim Lincecum.

useless facts

Post 8407

I had a friend once who was descended from some nobility somewhere.

smiley - pirate

useless facts

Post 8408

Cheerful Dragon

My chemistry teacher was related to D. H. Lawrence (cousin of some kind). I recently saw a picture of the author, and the family resemblance was striking.

useless facts

Post 8409

Baron Grim

Dr. Seuss, Theodore Seuss Geisel, coined the word 'nerd' in his 1950 book, If I Ran the Zoo: "And then just to show them, I'll sail to Ka-Troo And Bring Back an It-Kutch a Preep and a Proo a Nerkle a Nerd and a Seersucker, too!"

Read more: Seuss Biography — Infoplease.com http://www.infoplease.com/spot/seuss1.html#ixzz1ft6IdCm2

useless facts

Post 8410

swl

A seersucker is a type of fabric, not a mystic's friend.

useless facts

Post 8411

Vestboy

Couldn't it be both? I have a friend called Bonfire.

useless facts

Post 8412

Vestboy

musicalnote Yes, we have no bananas, we have no bananas today musicalnote

Did you know that the only original bit of this old song is the word "bananas".

"Yes we have no" is sung to the tune of "Alleluia" from Beethoven's Alleluia Chorus
Bananas is original
"We have no bananas today" is from My Bonnie Lies Over the Ocean it's the tune to, "Oh, bring back my Bonnie to me!"

useless facts

Post 8413

The Groob

The mask used by Michael Myers in the original 'Halloween' was actually a Captain Kirk mask painted white.

useless facts

Post 8414

The feature film version of Attack of the Killer Tomatoes was first released in 1978. I first saw it in 2011. I like the song.

smiley - pirate

useless facts

Post 8415

Baron Grim

For Halloween, they picked the Kirk mask over another choice, an Emmett Kelly clown mask with fuzzy red hair added.

The Kirk mask, painted white with eyebrows removed and eye holes enlarged, was emotionless and just a bit creepier. William Shatner had no idea his likeness was used in the film for many years until he was asked about it in an interview. He's now proud of it.

http://www.horrorbid.com/cache/cache_500_1_1_img_120015_3f915e5d4ce41b75edd4d675b93d0122jpg.img?7178

useless facts

Post 8416

Baron Grim

Ooh!

Celebrity Useless Fact from Neil deGrasse Tyson:

<>

useless facts

Post 8417

toybox

smiley - applausesmiley - geek

useless facts

Post 8418

Pit - ( Carpe Diem - Stay in Bed )

There are three kinds of people.
1 understand digital and 10 don´t.

useless facts

Post 8419

Vestboy

Is that binary?

useless facts

Post 8420

Vestboy

There's three kinds of Hootoo researchers. Those that can count and those that can't.

Key: Complain about this post