A Conversation for Ask h2g2

Useless Facts

Post 8381

The Groob

Jackson Pollock's real first name was Paul.

Useless Facts

Post 8382

Mr. Dreadful - But really I'm not actually your friend, but I am...

The character played by Bruce Willis in the Die Hard movies was first portrayed onscreen in 1968 by Frank Sinatra albeit with a different name.

Useless Facts

Post 8383

Mr. X ---> "Be excellent to each other. And party on, dudes!"

Can you be a little more specific?

smiley - pirate

Useless Facts

Post 8384

Nevermind.

smiley - pirate

Useless Facts

Post 8385

Baron Grim

Tony Rome or Joe Leland?

Useless Facts

Post 8386

Joe Leland.

smiley - pirate

Useless Facts

Post 8387

Baron Grim

Polar bears' white fur doesn't only allow them to blend in against snowy backgrounds in visible light but also makes them nearly invisible in infrared as well. (source: http://coe.berkeley.edu/engnews/fall02/3S/polarbear.html )

Useless Facts

Post 8388

Pit - ( Carpe Diem - Stay in Bed )

How long did we work on building light conducting fibres - and they just grow them!smiley - ok

Useless Facts

Post 8389

Cheerful Dragon

Polar bear hair is hollow, as are the outer guard hairs on a reindeer's hide. This is why early Arctic explorers had sleeping bags made out of reindeer hide. We took years to develop hollowfibre, animals have been growing it for millennia.

Useless Facts

Post 8390

Vestboy

Re the link to the science article given above
>>Her paper also rated high in originality at the ME conference. “People at these conferences usually present on dry things. This research had a high coolness factor and coolness factor usually counts for a lot at ME conferences,” she adds. <<

This sounds like a line from "The Big Bang Theory" TV comedy show.

Useless Facts

Post 8391

Baron Grim

The article also stated the following:

" While interesting, her polar bear discovery has little practical application to spur further research. The military quickly lost interest in the subject when they discovered that the polar bears could easily be seen using ultraviolet detection technology."

I read that and interpreted it as "Useless Fact". smiley - cheers

Data, while interesting has little practical application to spur further research

Post 8392

Baron Grim

Also, I just love the the idea of polar bears performing the bugblatter beast maneuover of covering their faces with their paws. But in this case, if they can't see you, you really can't see them.

Data, while interesting has little practical application to spur further research

Post 8393

Vestboy

It would be interesting to find out if they do. There was the idea that they covered their faces to hide their black nose from prey (as the only bit that may be seen) but this was dispelled as a myth... Hmmmm, what if they were hiding from creatures with infra red vision goggles?!

Post 8394

As I'm sure we all know, the dot above an "i" is called a tittle; but does anyone know what the cross in a "t" is called?

smiley - pirate

Post 8395

swl

The "Nail your prophet here" point?

Post 8396

Vestboy

Mr X, If I said I needed to know that wouldn't it render your entry as inadmissible in this thread?

Post 8397

Baron Grim

The cross on a T can also be called a tittle. By the way, the phrase "to a tee" (or "to a T") is short for "to a tittle".

Post 8398

dasilva

A quick Google also reports cross, cross bar or tisten. smiley - erm

Post 8399

Rod

... not one jot nor tittle ...
the jot is the crossbar on the t

funny that - wouldn't you thunk they'd be t'ither way round?

Post 8400

Baron Grim

Not quite... Jot is the anglicized form of Iota, the smallest letter in the Greek alphabet. Iota was used as a small diacritical mark under other vowels in ancient Greek texts. Jot and tittle implies every small mark in a text so in general the phrase would include the T crosses.

Key: Complain about this post