A Conversation for Ask h2g2

Why you should believe in God

Post 61

Gwennie

Wow, that was truly "deep" and profound err, person with the very long name (what do I call you for "short"?). smiley - smiley

Post 62

Lupa Mirabilis, Serious Inquisitor

No, it was Blaise Pascal. It's known as Pascal's Wager.

Post 63

turtle

That's what's so cool about atheism, to me at least. It allows you to be open to learning new things, and to continually ask questions about everything.

When I was a kid I sort of had the idea that all the questions had been answered, somewhere, by someone. The way the adult world seemed to function it seemed as if adults knew everything. I mean, how often does an adult tell a kid that they don't know an answer!

When I was a little older, I discovered that there is a ton of stuff we simply don't have a clue about. But we're still trying to figure it all out. And I think that's cool. It's so much more fun that way. I feel sorry for those folks who think they know it all!

Post 64

alicat (Patron Saint of Good Taste)

no one person could know everything. but, two people, working together, can figure out the answers. a group of people figures things out faster. and, the whole of mankind, working together? pure paradise. that's all i know.smiley - fish@

Post 65

Blatherskite the Mugwump - Bandwidth Bandit

Even as a whole, mankind is figuring out Life, the Universe, and Everything through a process of leaps and stumbles. But still, it is a worthy undertaking, and it honors us to pursue it.

Post 66

yes. in time, every person in the world will have access to a computer. ideas will be exchanged and like-minded people will get together in forums like this one. smiley - fish@

Post 67

Zebedee (still Pool God after all these years)

Perhaps we should appoint our own God. Everyone will know where they stand then. I'm happy to do it, but I want weekends off. Don't need to be organising the universe with a hangover.

Post 68

Gwennie

I'm not sure that I want my universe shaken and not stirred. Mr. Zebedee, would you accept time and a half or double time for weekends? Perhaps a six month contract to start with and a promise to stay (relatively) sober?

Post 69

Twophlag Gargleblap - NWO NOW

Is heaven in Canada? I hate it here.

Post 70

i, too, have ingrown toenails (what a bitch) and i am from Canada (where are you from?) . i hate winters, but i love Canada (what a forgiving country, everyone is welcome, and treated equally). heaven is this universe. it's just a matter of perspective and circumstance. i'm drunk and rambling.smiley - fish@

Post 71

Gwennie

*Gwennie offers Alicat a strong, black coffee.....*

Here you go sweetie..... would you like sugar or are you sweet enough already?

Tsk! I don't know - drinking at your 'puter! You wouldn't catch me doing that *Gwennie kicks empty bottle of vodka under the table....*

Post 72

Twophlag Gargleblap - NWO NOW

Actually Canada is alright, although Ottawa sort of sucks.

It's gratifying to think that even a nerd like me can hold the attention of drunk girls, even if it is only online ;P Anyways drop by my site sometime, lots of links to entertaining things to read.

Post 73

With a moniker that long you should have several drunken ladies tagging along. ottawa is pretty cold too. i have family in Nepean. What do you do about your toenails? would you like some of these mushrooms from heaven? we saved all the purple&orange ones for monsy, but i find the pink & green ones just as effective...

Post 74

Gwennie

Oh, go on then...... "Pass the platter...." *Gwennie grabs a handful of Monsy's magic mushrooms, pours another vodka into her coffee cup.....*

"Who is this God person anyway?" HIC! smiley - smiley

Post 75

Time and half? Weekends just aren't tempting I'm afraid - I'd hate to be working and miss the football, and fixing the result would be a little too tempting.

And I'm thoroughly professional with regards to blood-alcohol levels - even if I am suffering you'd never know.

Post 76

Arakeen

I kinda like the way George Carlin put it.
There's this invisible guy up in the clouds somewhere, and he is watching everything you do. And he has only 10 rules your suppose to follow. But if you don't, he's going to send you to this awful place with fire and brimstone to live in agony for the rest of eternity.
But, "he loves you". OH, and he needs money.

Post 77

Gwennie

Okay then, Zebedee, go back to Florence an' yer Magic Roundabout! See if we care! *Gwennie peers at vacant post of God and looks alarmed*

Err...... second thoughts, double time and every third weekend off!
How does that sound?

Post 78

Florence and the......Aha! Case of mistaken identity, methinks. I surely have no need for a mustache.

I'm afraid I'm not going to budge on weekends - besides, as God I don't really need the double time. I'll keep on eye on things anyway but I wouldn't want to be held accountable for anything that happened while I was watching Match of the Day, you see.

Post 79

Gwennie

Ah, football! I see it all now..... So your the one responsible for Maradonna's "hand of God" then? *Wink* smiley - smiley

Post 80

I'd have been responsible for the disembodied hand that picked him by the throat and hurled him into the ocean immediately afterwards, but sadly my divine powers hadn't even begun to manifest at the age of 12.

Having said that, the goal that followed was one of the all time supreme displays of skill, but I rarely acknowledge that in public.

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more