A Conversation for Ask h2g2

What's wrong with Canadians?

Post 301

Mudhooks: ,,, busier than a one-legged man in an ass-kicking contest...

Inferiority complex: "Acute sense of personal inferiority, often resulting in either timidity or (through overcompensation) exaggerated aggressiveness.

Though once a standard psychological concept, particularly among followers of Alfred Adler, it has lost much of its usefulness through imprecise popular misuse." http://www.britannica.com/ebc/article?eu=393269

Since most of the Canadians posting here do not demonstrate timidness or exaggerated aggressiveness such an appelation certainly doesn't apply... However, I could name a few recent posters who most definitely exhibit the classic trait of "exaggerated aggressiveness".

Of course, the same people seem to have the motto "If you can't dazzle them facts, bury them in bullsh!t."

Post 302

Oetzi Oetztaler....Anti Apartheid

It's all to do with the animal urges Muddy. I know I am an animal, know that I have adrenaline pushes and know that I threaten most men on sight. I do not power dress or drive a macho vehicle. My size and demeanor does it. Sets other males on alert.

I know it comes across in my prose. I hope it is not pretentiou and agressive although I know it is sometimes emotional. But why should I conform IF I do not offend or harass.

Post 303

~ jwf ~ scribblo ergo sum

Anhaga must have been in casual mode when he wrote:

>> "Like who can honestly say that any Canadians on H2G2 have feelings of inferiority?" <<

Like it's not like him to start a sentence with like, like he did.

But to answer his here-to-for rhetorical question: Lotsa people could say that and say it honestly. All non-Brits here, not just us Canucks, have an inferiority complex on this most UK-centric site. It shows up more in Canadians because we're always so polite when behaving as guests in someone else's house.

And of course 'Leo Alpha' has his own view of the world which would include us in the grossly inferior category of 'not American':

>> "Some of the people who live outside the US are pretty dumb and shortsighted. But not everyone." <<

smiley - laugh Thanks to Apparition for the link
http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/class...ead=335539&skip=20&show=20#p4297863
to the wisdom of Leo Alpha.
smiley - cheers
~jwf~

Post 304

Yeah. Well us Brits pay £118 a year per household for this service. Foreigners should be respectful. A lot of us here earn £6 per hour.
What's your payment to PBS broadcasters then?

Post 305

I can assure you that the majority of Canadians that I know.... Ummm.... that would be the majority of people I know, of course, although I do know a remarkable number of people from all over the globe... but I digress... The Canadians I know do not, as Canadians, have an inferiority complex.

Is it an "inferiority complex" to be proud of the peaceful nature Canada as a nation has, and Canadians as a people have? I think not.

Is it an inferiority complex to choose not to blundly follow the United States into a criminal act against Iraq? I think not.

So, we don't toot our own horns at every turn like certain nations, even when they do things that really shouldn't be called attention to. Tooting ones own horn whatever the circumstance is classic overcompensation for an inferiority complex.

Post 306

From what I've gleaned from Anhanger, Muddy and Zoomer they are reserved but resolute when pushed. Anhanger does a fabulous job for The Canadian Tourist Office. Go and look at the stuff on his homepage.

Moreover people like Shannon Tweed are'nt shy. Look her out on "Google". I like Canadians and I like US cits too. Is Zoomer OK? Hasn't been on lately.

Post 307

Apparition™ (Mourning Empty the best uncle anyone could wish for)

smiley - esuom

Post 308

Haven't got a clue what that means Appy. Nice to know someone's taking an interest though!

Post 309

rev. paperboy (god is an iron)

What's wrong with Canadians? Well they've lost six of their last seven games and didn't score in three of those games, only seven goals in the last seven games and the third or fourth worst offense in the NHL right now. The team this year lacks the muscle and youth needed to make it through an 80 gam............ooops this is whats wrong with Canadians, not the Canadiens.
my bad....

Post 310

Their country reeks of trees and their yaks are really large and smell like [researcher's name removed by self moderation].

Post 311

I am thinking you have Canada confused with Mongolia... I can assure you that all OUR Yaks are shampooed daily. Of course, Mongolia is devoid of trees, so the mystery continues.

Post 312

accuracy is nothing. I was quoting a song by USAsians smiley - winkeye

Post 313

What does the CH in the middle of the Montreal Canadien's home ice mean?

Centre Hice.....

Post 314

I missread that, anyway....

The only trees that reek here are the ubiquitous little pine-trees that hang from rearview mirrors across Canada (available at Canadian Tire and dollar stores)

Post 315

http://www.legionmagazine.com/features/canadianreflections/98-09.asp

www2.canadiantire.ca

Post 316

Tarnation....
http://www2.canadiantire.ca/

Post 317

anhaga

That’s a great link, Mudhooks. I’m happy to announce that a nearby Canadian Tire store is expanding (in a major way) for the second time since a Walmart opened next door. Seems Canadians are loyal.

(actually I think they’re spruce trees.smiley - evilgrin)

Post 318

I meant to pop in (well, I have been logged in, but not checking in) earlier but caught up doing some online research. Found some very interesting info about some old documents that had been my grandfather's....

I will be posting them on my Fotki later.

They are surveys sent out by Rev. Dr. Duncan of Rothwell to various parishes in Dumfrieshire, asking details about cases of fornication brought before the parish sessions.... I never knew who Dr. Duncan was other than a name.

He is, it seems, responsible for the establishment of banking for the common classes, having begun a bank in Dumfries in 1808 or something. I understand that he had something to do with dinosaur bones but don't know what, yet, and was responsible for digging up and reassembling the Rothwell Rood (cross).....

The docs are interesting on their own, but with the cache of the author....

They also have some very early stamps. Apparently, there were several with "penny blacks" on them, but they went missing about the time my brother started selling my mother's jewellery to buy cigarettes.

Anyway, it was nice to relax after the very difficult day I had, and easier than having to wade thru some of the stuff on here. (your stuff, not included in the sweeping generalization.)

Thanks, by the way, for putting the good word out to Montana.

Post 319

anhaga

Is that cross you mention the same as the one I know as the Ruthwell cross? The one with the runic inscription of a few lines from the Old English poem "The Dream of the Rood"? Son of a gun. look at that, it is: http://www.georgetown.edu/labyrinth/library/oe/texts/ruthwell.html

Post 320

It is....

Sorry at the slow responses... High-speed access my a$$....

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more