A Conversation for Ask h2g2

Anyone *get* The Matrix: Revolutions?

Post 221

dasilva

smiley - laugh Let's hope they keep this trilogy as a trilogy of 3 and not 5 and a half then smiley - winkeye

Post 222

Mal

What about the Animatrix?
Anyway, just saw Revolutions. Liked it much more than the second film. Downsides: philosophy too obvious. Lost count of times that a big thing was made of Neo being knocked down and getting up again.

Post 223

Still Incognitas, Still Chairthingy, Still lurking, Still invisible, unnoticeable, missable, unseen, just haunting h2g2

1st film excellent.
2nd film too long with too many too long fight sequences and too long car chases(i was desperate for a pee too)but ok as as a means of getting from film 1 to....
3rd film excellent with enough of a whatever happened ending....without out there being another film.pleased it wasn't too much of a happy ending as well.i hate it when hollywood refuses to let main characters die.

was neo a program or a virus?

incog.smiley - tea

Post 224

aliashell

D'oh, there is no spoon. I thought #3 was close to the worst film I have ever seen - all the way down there with 'Dude, where's my car'. The action scenes were far too long and were there to hide the fact that any idea of plot had been completely lost. And the second set it up for such a great finale but this ain't no Jedi.

Post 225

Just Justin... (ACE)

Is it worth seeing?
please don't give much, if any away yet...

Post 226

Wøñkø

that person would say no i'm sure

Post 227

Mr. Legion

Justin...there's a part where a scared, incompetent kid who the audience can identify with is forced to overcome his fears, live up to the expectations of his dying father-figure captain and save the day.

If clichés like that leave a bad taste in your mouth, avoid this film like the plague.

Post 228

Giford

*** SPOILERS ***

Sorry, I don't usually go for spoilers so soon after a film is released, but ...

Talking point - if I understood what's going on correctly, the Machines abort their attack on Zion because they realise they need the humans around to guard against further attacks by rogue progs (i.e. future Smiths). Which, combined with the whole 'Neo and Smith are the same' thing, would mean that (dramatic drumroll) Smith is actually the Good Guy. And presumably Small Asian Child was constructed as a future One? Which might make her responsible for the destruction of Mankind in the future?

Yes, bursting above the clouds was beautiful. Rather a shame, therefore, that the W. brothers think so lowly of their audience that they have to have Trinity point out to us how beautiful it is.

And yes, I too realised that I was being manipulated into paying twice to see this film, which sunk to the level of my expectations.

Gif smiley - geek

Post 229

Elentari

I watched Reloaded again on DVD (not mine, I borrowed it) and it was so much better the second time! It actually made sense (possibly because I'd seen Revoloutions) and it was about 50% better than the first time around.

Post 230

Geggs

Y'know, I was just thinking yesterday that what the Oracle said in the first film was true. That Neo would have to make the choice of whether he or Morpheus lived.

The resolution of the first film is a denial of the state, as they both survive that film. But, ultimately, only one of them lives.

The implications of the choices in the first film were still there, but they were only fully resolved over the course of all the films.

Geggs

Post 231

azahar

Revolutions has already come and gone here, without many people actually going to see it, I think. I'll probably watch in on a dvd rental someday, just to see if it was as bad as everyone said it was.

Such a shame, really. How could they have f**ked up such an amazing first film with such follow-up crap? Oh what am I saying? That is the usual with sequels, isn't it?

az

Post 232

spook

i loved the trilogy, and i have totally figured out everything! here is the definate explanation, as far as i can see (SPOILER):

Neo is the one. The Architect tries to keep a balance in the matrix, but the One is not part of that balance, as 100% balance is not possible and causes problems as said in number 2. The Oracle brings unbalance to the Matrix. When Neo didn't choose the option the Architect said the previous Ones had took, the Architech used the Agent Smith program against Neo as his opposite, giving the program a new purpose.

The Oracle said she had to make a choice. The choice was to be taken over by Smith, a big gamble which paid of. Neo and Smith were opposite programs, with Smith's purpose being to balance out Neo in the Matrix. Neo made a deal with the machines so that if the Smith program was defeated, Zion would be saved.

Neo and Smith battled. Smith won and copied himself over the One program that was part of Neo. Now, there was no Oracle so only the Architect to keep the balance. With Neo gone, there was no need for the Agent Smith program. What happens to un-needed programs? They are erased, which is what happens to Smith. With Smith gone, the other programs are released, and the Oracle says they'll see Neo again as Neo has added part of himself to the One program, and there will be a new One sometime in the future, although Neo is well and truly dead.

And That's All Folks!smiley - smiley

spook

Post 233

Geggs

Now, I had thought that Neo had sacrificed himself to Smith so that the machines would have a hard-line connection to Smith, and could therefore launch an anti-virus program through Neo to disinfect the Matrix of the virus that Smith had become.

Also, Smith was given the new purpose of being a virus after Neo became the 'One'. Before the fight with Neo toward the start of Reloaded he says something like: "I am no longer an agent of this system. I am appearently outside its control, but appearences can be deceptive". Which suggests that he performs a function in the Matrix, even then.

When the Architect offers Neo the choice at the end of Reloaded he says that the Matrix will be reset if he agrees, or destroyed if he does not. The reset would remove Smith from the equation, as Neo would volunterily remove himself. Because the reset doesn't happen, Smith is not removed, but rather continues in his viral imperative to replicate himself. If Neo did not return to fight Smith he would have written himself over the entire system and effectively crashed the Matrix - the very destruction the Architect was predicting.

Excuse me, but I'm going to stop there before I over-reach my bounds and start talking nonesense.

Geggs

Key: Complain about this post