A Conversation for Ask h2g2

a hour or an hour?

Post 1

If the universe is infinite, then im "a" center, 21+4^1+8+9=42

i came to thinking about this, a hour sounds wrong but in english there is an, an before vouls (aeiou) and and, a before the rest.

so why this exception?

a hour or an hour?

Post 2

2legs - Hey, babe, take a walk on the wild side...

Is it because the 'h' in hour is prounced as a kind of 'a' type sound? smiley - erm or do I mean a kind of 'e' sound smiley - erm

a hour or an hour?

Post 3

Still Incognitas, Still Chairthingy, Still lurking, Still invisible, unnoticeable, missable, unseen, just haunting h2g2

Hour is pronounced as our because the h is a silent one therefore the use of an in front of it is appropriate.Same goes for the word honour.

Incog.smiley - tea

a hour or an hour?

Post 4

Ross

grammatically the vast majority of words beginning with "h" should be preceeded with "an":

e.g. : an hotel is correct but rarely used, an hour is correct

a hour or an hour?

Post 5

Hooloovoo

There is also "an helicopter" but that just sounds silly....

a hour or an hour?

Post 6

sdotyam

Its a hotel and a helicopter. post 3 is correct.

a hour or an hour?

Post 7

milo

yeah, an should be used before all h words even though it sounds a bit daft.

an hilarious sketch sounds alright though.

a hour or an hour?

Post 8

Jim Lynn

Actually, both 'an hotel' and 'a hotel' are acceptable usage. You regularly hear 'an historic occasion'. It might not be strictly correct, but then, we're not French.

a hour or an hour?

Post 9

Beatrice

Both the French and English languages have 2 types of h-words - ones that are aspirated and ones that arent.

So in English , hour, honest, honorary all take "an" rather that "a" because the h isnt pronounced.

In French the equivalent is whether or not the word gets an l' or a le/la

le herrison
l'heure

a hour or an hour?

Post 10

milo

an horange is perfectly acceptable too.

a hour or an hour?

Post 11

sdotyam

smiley - laughsmiley - laughsmiley - laughsmiley - laugh

a hour or an hour?

Post 12

Mort - a middle aged Girl Interrupted

the an or a question is not so much to do with the actual consonant vowel question (h being the most obvious annoying one as it is sometimes but not always silent)

It is based on the sound of the word ie if saying 'a student veterinary nurse works hard' then 'a' is correct but if you abbreviate it to SVN it would be correct to write 'an SVN works very hard' As the S is pronounced 'ess'

So it is the pronunciation of the word that dictates the a or an not the spelling as such.

smiley - smiley

Mort

a hour or an hour?

Post 13

Mort - a middle aged Girl Interrupted

PS i only know that as i had to look it up the other day for a guide article ( askoxford.com ) smiley - winkeye

Key: Complain about this post