A Conversation for Ask h2g2

if time didnt exist

Post 1

If the universe is infinite, then im "a" center, 21+4^1+8+9=42

what would our lives be like, if time didnt exist? would everything happen at the same moment, would be born, do all the stuff we do then die, straight away?

if time didnt exist

Post 2

anhaga

I'll get back to you yesterday.smiley - biggrin

if time didnt exist

Post 3

Stephen

The nature of time has puzzled and fascinated me ever since I was quite a small child.

I would stand and think...at this precise moment I am doing...whatever it was. But what does that mean? What is this precise moment?

I haven't got any nearer to the answer after nearly 50 yearssmiley - sadface but I still think exactly the same thoughts from time to time - whatever that is!

Sad ain't it!

if time didnt exist

Post 4

Beatrice

In the words of The Great One * "Time is an illusion, lunch-time doubly so"

* That's DNA, not Nighthoover, btw. Who sucks.

if time didnt exist

Post 5

Ste

You'd never be late and lie-ins wouldn't exist smiley - sadface

if time didnt exist

Post 6

DarthWibble

Relativity proves that time and space are inherently linked if time ceased to exist so would space and hence us.

if time didnt exist

Post 7

kelli - ran 2 miles a day for 2012, aiming for the same for 2013

I wouldn't have to be 29a next birthday.

if time didnt exist

Post 8

Kaz

if time didn't exist, then I assume we would have no perception of time, so no lie-ins and no life at all perhaps.

if time didnt exist

Post 9

clzoomer- a bit woobly

Would there be no entropy as well?

Remember time is nature's way of keeping everything happening all at once!

if time didnt exist

Post 10

Just Bob aka Robert Thompson, plugging my film blog cinemainferno-blog.blogspot.co.uk

If the fourth dimension didn't exist, the fifth would move in to take its place, and it would be indistinguishable. Apart from that, so much of the universe depends on time to explain how it works that we can't even comprehend a universe without it.

if time didnt exist

Post 11

clzoomer- a bit woobly

But doesn't time=entropy? And if we had no entropy there would be no energy? Or energy in some suspended state? And how could there be measurable existance without a beginning? And which one of the Spice Girls was gay?

if time didnt exist

Post 12

Blatherskite the Mugwump - Bandwidth Bandit

Time doesn't exist. It's a human abstraction invented to help us sort out event sequences and intervals. It has no existence outside the human mind. If it didn't exist now, we'd just make it up.

if time didnt exist

Post 13

clzoomer- a bit woobly

That's like saying dimensions don't exist because *length* is just a word made up to describe something.smiley - laugh

if time didnt exist

Post 14

Blatherskite the Mugwump - Bandwidth Bandit

Can you touch length?

if time didnt exist

Post 15

egon

I often let attractive international students touch *my* length.

if time didnt exist

Post 16

clzoomer- a bit woobly

It can be perceived, yes. It isn't something like an emotion which is subjective. I feel the passage of time, can even roughly smell the length of a bananna!

if time didnt exist

Post 17

clzoomer- a bit woobly

Interesting juxtaposition of simu-posts! smiley - laugh

if time didnt exist

Post 18

egon

list of chat-up lines:

"touch my length"
"smell my banana"

smiley - smiley

if time didnt exist

Post 19

clzoomer- a bit woobly

Or, alternately....

"smell my length"
and
"touch my banana"

smiley - laugh

if time didnt exist

Post 20

milo

I've often thought that there could be people living outside of time who just freeze it for as long as they needed.

no-one would ever notice.

like in that tv show where the girl put her fingers together if someone spilled a drink, and so on.

Key: Complain about this post