A Conversation for Ask h2g2

Petty Hates

Post 14441

hammondorgan

Hollow Easter eggs, Petty it my be but it used to be when you opened an Easter egg, you got a selection of Milk Tray or Black Magic or whatever inside. Now you get a separate box of goodies, it's just not the same, and while I'm on, my Mars Easter egg came with a Twix bar a Snickers and a Mars Bar, which I think is a bit cheap to be honest. I didn't complain, because I'm a forbearing type of chap OK I ate it, in fact I gave one if the Twix fingers to my son in law just to show there was no hard feelings, but still, quite put me off my breakfast.

Petty Hates

Post 14442

swl

My first Easter Egg was one of the major disappointments of my young life. I expected it to be solid chocolate.

Petty Hates

Post 14443

Reality Manipulator

Chocolate Easter eggs don't taste as good as they did when I was a young child in Ashington in Northumberland and the Easter weather in the 60's was warmer and more sunnier.

Petty Hates

Post 14444

quotes

PH Glass-topped dining tables. Who on earth wants to look at other people's feet while they're eating?

Petty Hates

Post 14445

Pink Paisley

Eating without a table cloth.

PP.

Petty Hates

Post 14446

hammondorgan

Thinker come off it, it was never warm in Ashington at Easter, lucky if it got above freezing in August,and if you had a chocolate egg you must come from millionaire stock, in Gatesheed we were lucky if we got a paste egg! Looking back through Rose Tinted glasses I reckon, you'll be telling me you went to Newbiggin on holiday next!

Petty Hates

Post 14447

Pink Paisley

Paste egg? Paste egg? Eee. You were lucky. When I were a lad we were lucky to have a picture of an egg!

PP.

Petty Hates

Post 14448

Florida Sailor All is well with the world

You got picturessmiley - wow

All we had were undeveloped rolls of film in the camerasmiley - envy

smiley - sigh

F smiley - dolphin S

Petty Hates

Post 14449

Pink Paisley

When I say 'pictures', I mean a description of what a picture would look like......

PP.

Petty Hates

Post 14450

Florida Sailor All is well with the world

Your point PPsmiley - ok

You have out Po' Boy'ed me

I just wish they could describe picturessmiley - facepalm

F smiley - dolphin S

Petty Hates

Post 14451

quotes

PP, you had descriptions? You were lucky. We never had words, we had to make do with prelinguistic forms of communication.

Petty Hates

Post 14452

Cheerful Dragon

Petty Hate: people who go on about how much better (or worse) things were 'in their day'. Things weren't really better, they were just different. Things may well have been worse, but that doesn't justify criticising others, especially young people who will never have the same experiences.

Yes, I know the preceding posts were tongue-in-cheek, but my dad was a prime offender in the 'When I was young...' group.

Petty Hates

Post 14453

swl

True.

For a start, history was easier back then because there was less of it. There was also no such thing as the environment, homosexuals, pre-marital sex or Jeremy Vine.

Petty Hates

Post 14454

hammondorgan

And diets, there was no such thing as obesity till they invented diets, work that one out, I hate diets me.

Petty Hates

Post 14455

Dr Anthea - ah who needs to learn things... just google it!

people who use complicated words to sound more intellegent even where / when simpler words would have worked better. Yes it was in an academic paper but the choice of words is less important than the information you are trying to get across surely...

Petty Hates

Post 14456

Teasswill

PH - I thought of one earlier & now can't remember what it was.

Petty Hates

Post 14457

swl

Automatic windscreen wipers that, for no apparent reason on a beautiful dry sunny day, decide to activate and drag their juddering way across the screen leaving a huge smear.

Petty Hates

Post 14458

Bluebottle

PH - 'Are we nearly there yet?'

<BB<

Petty Hates

Post 14459

Pastey

PH: people complaining something is broken, even though you've fixed it, and continuing to say it's broken rather than actually checking to see if it's fixed.

Petty Hates

Post 14460

Cheerful Dragon

Teaswill, that has been a Petty Hate of mine for a long time. In fact there are two facets to my Petty Hate:

1. As Teaswill said, thinking of a Petty Hate and forgetting it by the time I get round to posting.
2. Wanting to look something up online and then forgetting what it was. This is bad enough when some time has elapsed between the idea and going online. But forgetting in the time it takes for the search engine to open...smiley - headhurts

Key: Complain about this post