A Conversation for Ask h2g2

Petty Hates

Post 12081

Nosebagbadger {Ace}

My webcam not working - currently it functions as an excellent directional mike and nothing more

Petty Hates

Post 12082

Pink Paisley

I hate grapefruit.

And Agatha Christie.

PP.

Petty Hates

Post 12083

Pink Paisley

And my Kindle.

PP

Petty Hates

Post 12084

Cheerful Dragon

The reaction with grapefruit was what led to the anti-histamine Triludan being made prescription-only in the UK some years ago. This annoyed a lot of people for whom Triludan was an inexpensive, effective treatment. A warning on the leaflet should have been sufficient, but that does assume that people read the advisory leaflet in the first place.

PH: Loading a bookmark to check something, and forgetting to open it in a new tab. Then, when I go back to what I was writing, I've lost everything and have to re-type it all. I did it *twice* while doing this response, once on my tablet, then again on my laptop. Yet another MS moment, honest!

Petty Hates

Post 12085

Mr. X ---> "Be excellent to each other. And party on, dudes!"

I find using tabs to be more trouble than it's worth. Just open multiple separate windows and you won't have this problem.

smiley - pirate

Petty Hates

Post 12086

Nosebagbadger {Ace}

I dislike multiple windows if I've got a non-internet thing I'll be flicking into and out alongside the web

Tabs are the way to go

Petty Hates

Post 12087

fords - number 1 all over heaven

After a frustrating afternoon at uni trying to remote desktop with my home LAN, my PH is routers that mess all your settings up on the sly and changing your admin settings smiley - grr

Petty Hates

Post 12088

Anna Siren- the heathen of the deep, according to iTunes...

Tesco.com being prats. WHY CAN'T I BUY IT WHY DO YOU KEEP TELLING ME IT'S 404 WHEN IT'S NOT?

Petty Hates

Post 12089

Lusus

This is a reoccurring PH of mine:

Trying to follow an American recipe. Why do they insist on using cups as measurements, especially when a cup is not a measurement of weight but volume? This makes it very difficult to even guesstimate some recipe ingredients. For instance, how much is 1 1/4 cups of potatoes? This is extremely frustrating and an incredibly stupid way measurement for anyone outside of the USA.

Petty Hates

Post 12090

quotes

I don't like cups either, although there are supposedly 16 tablespoons in a standard cup, if that helps.

Petty Hates

Post 12091

Nosebagbadger {Ace}

I'd agree, though thinking about it I use tablespoons freely, despite, thinking about it - the fact that they are also "units" of volume - just easy ones to use

Petty Hates

Post 12092

Cheerful Dragon

Regarding cups, you also have to remember that US and Imperial cups are different sizes - 8 fl. oz. and 10 fl. oz respectively. Even taking that into account, does 1 1/4 cups of potatoes mean 10 oz of potatoes? If so, why can't they just say that? What about cups of margarine?

In fact, there's only one recipe that uses 'cups' that I'm completely happy with - One Cup Fruit Loaf. You'll find the recipe here: A765993 - just search for One Cup Fruit Loaf (it's about 2/3 of the way down).

Petty Hates

Post 12093

Nosebagbadger {Ace}

Fluid ounces are volume though, as opposed to normal ounces, I believe

Petty Hates

Post 12094

Nosebagbadger {Ace}

And apparently a fluid ounce of water is actually slightly more than an ounce

Petty Hates

Post 12095

Deb

I did think (though I can't back it up with anything) that it didn't matter how much you used as long as the proportions were the same. So if the recipe calls for a cup of flour and a cup of sugar, the exact size of the cup wasn't all that important. Although, come to think of it, when you come to crack an egg in, how do you then measure that? Hm.

My petty hate today: pre-lit trees where 50% of the lights no longer work. It looks like the morning after BEFORE the night before. I meant to buy a new one in the sales after last Christmas but never got round to it, and there's no way I'm paying full price. Bah humbug.

Deb smiley - cheerup

Petty Hates

Post 12096

Malabarista - now with added pony

My PH is fake trees, so I don't have that problem. smiley - xmastree

Petty Hates

Post 12097

Nosebagbadger {Ace}

We have a fake tree that always comes to Cornwall for Christmas with us (this will be first year in longer than I've been alive where we have not gone down to Cornwall for Christmas)

We always named him (definetly a he) but could never remember his name, do he was a very changable fellow - regardless will liked him

But there was always a proper tree at home

Petty Hates

Post 12098

Pink Paisley

Feeling a cold coming on.

PP.

Petty Hates

Post 12099

Cheerful Dragon

Having a cold that won't go away. Yes, I know a cold is only supposed to last a week, but if your immune system is faulty to start with, and you're taking drugs that mess with it further (T and B lymphocyte suppressant), all bets are off.

Petty Hates

Post 12100

Malabarista - now with added pony

Similar here. I've just been through two bouts of antibiotics for different things, now I have a sore throat and swollen lymph nodes the size of golf balls in my smiley - titsmiley - tit, which are rather painful. smiley - groan

Key: Complain about this post