A Conversation for Ask h2g2

Petty Hates

Post 101

Pastey

I didn't think you actually worked Zantic smiley - winkeye

Adults who pretend that HP *is* great literature I think is the best way of describing my petty hate on it. It good fun, but that's about it.

smiley - rose

Petty Hates

Post 102

Pastey

Italic Baiting.

smiley - rose

Petty Hates

Post 103

Saturnine

I don't kno who Larry Niven is, but I know Ray Bradbury and Philip K. Dick. Have only read "Do Androids Dream of Elecrtic Sheep?" though.

Then again. I'm not a sci-fi fan.

Petty Hates

Post 104

Pastey

Philip K Dick wrote the book Minority Report was based on, same with Total Recal.

Larry Niven is mostly known for Ringworld.

Ray Bradbury did books and plays including The Illustrated Man, The Martian Chronicals, Something Wicked This Way Comes and the infamous Farenheit 451, set in a future where firemen burn books.

smiley - rose

Petty Hates

Post 105

Saturnine

I know of "Minority Report"...still ahven't got around to reading "Farenheit 451" but I have seen the film...which is very good.

But then, I'm not a sci-fi fan! smiley - smiley

Petty Hates

Post 106

Pastey

Minority Report was actually published as a short story in 1956.

Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep (aka Bladerunner) was 1968 and I think the short story Total Recal was based on was published in 1959.

smiley - rose

Petty Hates

Post 107

Pastey

Instigating topic drift without realising it!! Got to be a huge petty hate.

Is it possible to have huge petty hates?

smiley - rose

Petty Hates

Post 108

Saturnine

I really don't like Bladerunner.

Actually, thats another one.

People who pressurise others to like things because of cult value, and brand you demonic if you disagree. I think Ripley Scott is one of the worst and overrated directors in existance. You couldn't pay me to watch his films.

Petty Hates

Post 109

Saturnine

I only hate topic drift when I am desperately trying to collect information.

Petty Hates

Post 110

Pastey

Peer Group Pressure. Definatly hate that.

So what if I think (un)reality TV is a load of pap?

People who use their fingers to make little quote marks in the air when they're speaking because they don't think others have got the hang of irony.

smiley - rose

Petty Hates

Post 111

Pastey

Websites that don't actually contain any information.

smiley - rose

Petty Hates

Post 112

Saturnine

People who assume things about me without even asking my opinion directly.

VOTER APATHY.

Getting stuck on RPG games.

smiley - tongueout

Petty Hates

Post 113

Pastey

Now, would *I* ever assume anything about you love smiley - winkeye

On on that note, I'm off to play old computer games until I get my car back so I can go to work.

smiley - rose

Petty Hates

Post 114

Kerr_Avon - hunting stray apostrophes and gutting poorly parsed sentences

What's wrong with Italic baiting? IT's just like Researcher baiting, with an added hint of danger smiley - winkeye

People who Say 'at the end of the day' all the time. At the end of the day, it's bloody DARK okay, that's all smiley - grr

smiley - ale

Petty Hates

Post 115

Citizen S

Double standards. People who dish dirt but can't take it back. People who make assumptions about someone or groups of people but hate to be pigeon-holed themselves.
Pigeons
Dirt

Petty Hates

Post 116

The Psycho Chicken -- self respect intact

People who seem to think that a pre-requisite for using a mobile phone is being mobile. In particular, the manager type who every time his phone goes, gets up and wanders around the office while he chats, before eventually settling on a steady pace-up-and-down behind my desk, discussing meaningless management crap and dropping buzzwords like confetti.

Just today's pet peeve....

smiley - chick

Petty Hates

Post 117

People that change their landland number then don't inform everyone that holds that number- We've had our landline for nearly two years, and we *still* get phoe calls for the people from the otherside of town that had it before us- "your perscription won't be ready 'till tomorrow?" What smiley - bleeping perscription??!!! "Can you please come and collect your so from school, he's being sent home for bad behaviour" What son? Stop it, go away! Mr. Uprouncable-Asian-Name no longer has this number smiley - grr

smiley - ale

Petty Hates

Post 118

People that change their landline number then don't inform everyone that holds that number- We've had our landline for nearly two years, and we *still* get phoe calls for the people from the otherside of town that had it before us- "your perscription won't be ready 'till tomorrow?" What smiley - bleeping perscription??!!! "Can you please come and collect your so from school, he's being sent home for bad behaviour" What son? Stop it, go away! Mr. Uprouncable-Asian-Name no longer has this number smiley - grr

smiley - ale

Petty Hates

Post 119

Researcher U197087

Rappers who go on for album after album, declaring with menaces exactly how lyrically skilled they are, and say absolutely nothing else of substance whatsoever.

"Yeah, my rhymes so fly,
You can't tell why,
Cos you aint got the slickness,
I rip it wit a quickness..

ok... AND?! WHAT'S YOUR TAKE ON EUROPEAN UNION.

uh.. my rhymes so slick.. smiley - steam

Petty Hates

Post 120

The Groob

- People who still think mobile phones are a status symbol.
- Girls in pubs who receive a mobile call and storm to the toilets as though they're an important person receiving an important call.

Key: Complain about this post