A Conversation for Ask h2g2

Petty Hates

Post 9661

Anna Siren- the heathen of the deep, according to iTunes...

BBS, LOL. RE Rooney's outburst, I’m sure you can find it somewhere on the internet! smiley - smiley He doesn’t have two syllables to rub together!!

some good news today: I want to go to London to celebrate my 22nd in a few weeks but I’m “not allowed to go alone”- yes, THANK YOU, parents... boyfriend coming with for now because mate is stalling (I shall eventually get fed up, y'know...). Best news I’ve heard all week is that if you do not hold a passport (he doesn’t) you can still fly “within the UK as log as you have photo ID eg. student card, driving licence”. Thank you, BMI! *bows down at BMI's feet*

Best bit? He's a student artist so we're using that as an excuse. He wants to see an art gallery or two, I want to go to the Tate because I’ve never been and heard good things. Everybody's happy.

PH: STALKER: Shadow of Chernobyl. Aargghhhhhhh such a frustrating sodding game!

Petty Hates

Post 9662

Taff Agent of kaos

""I want to go to London to celebrate my 22nd in a few weeks but I’m “not allowed to go alone”"????

i was wandering around central london on my own (summer hols staying with mum) at 15/16, i had no problems. that was nealy 30 years ago mind you, but that was still the 80s not in some "golden years past era" its no more dangerous than any other city!!

smiley - bat

Petty Hates

Post 9663

elderberry

It was probably more dangerous 30 years ago, because the IRA kept bombing it.

Petty Hates

Post 9664

Malabarista - now with added pony

Seeing as Anna lives in NI, I doubt the IRA is the concern here smiley - winkeye

Petty Hates

Post 9665

Taff: aye, I know but maybe it’s the disability or something, I don’t know. The recent case of Sian O’Callaghan has not helped things. There’s a bit of a Sherlock/Frankenstein meet up going on and I want to go to that; we’re going to the Frankenstein Q&A 20th April and are planning to stage door that night.

Believe me when I say my paranoia and general suspicion of people anywhere means security people et al will be the only words I have a word with if I’m in trouble. Plus I’ve stalked the TfL site for a while and there’s plenty of info on there. Jesus. It’ll not be like this all my life. And they wonder why I want to bugger off to the Uni of London... I mean, really.

Ha, no, that lot? Pay no heed; we live with that every day! It’s utterly ridiculous and I don’t know how to convince them to let me go. If a mate can’t go I am going to have to drag my boyfriend and I’m dreading that cos a) he doesn’t travel, has never been through an airport and b) the Tube is bad enough for me never mind with someone who has never experienced it before. I don’t care if you don’t like “too many dudes”, pet, tough. This is the way of the world.

PH? Personal statements.

Petty Hates

Post 9666

KB

Using programs on different computers.

You think you've got all the annoying little preferences disabled - all the automatic "help" options that make a job take twice as long. Then you have to work on a different computer and do it all over again!

Petty Hates

Post 9667

PH? My Kindle version of Shakespeare's The Tempest is blank. This is for uni, I need to read it sharpish and it's free to boot. Anyone have any ideas?

Petty Hates

Post 9668

KB

http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/1135

http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/2235

http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/1801

One of those, at least, should work! smiley - smiley

Petty Hates

Post 9669

KB, much love! PH? My boyfriend. I don't know if this should go on as it is.

Petty Hates

Post 9670

HI, KB. None of them work. Could you possibly try one of them for me and I’ll give you my email or something...? I'm going to get onto Customer Service in the morning and see if they can sort it out.

PH: this balls. Also what is balls is that the prats on my course don't have the old lectures off WebCT yet so we’ve downloaded and printed a crapload we don't need for the exam... ugh.

Petty Hates

Post 9671

KB

Hi Anna, could you possibly try doing your work for yourself? Kindles can store books, but they can't read them for you.

Petty Hates

Post 9672

Taff Agent of kaos

PH, lack of people active on hootoo in the wee small hours!!!

smiley - bat

Petty Hates

Post 9673

Rod

Sorry about that, Taff. I'm usually gardening or baby-sitting or doing my woody homework or... or...

PH: just noticed I have 42 messages in my inbox (yes, really) which is OK in itself but means I'm 30 or so behind in filing/disposing thereof. Not to mention sent messages (looks like 50-odd). smiley - sigh

Petty Hates

Post 9674

Rod

Anna, perhaps this is your problem? If not, sorry

The first link above from KB (~/1135) actually starts at p5 with Dramatis Personae. The pages are quite small.
The second, at p8
The third, p5

Petty Hates

Post 9675

I know. it’s not a bother now cos I’ve bought the damn thing. RE the blank pages thing, Amazon have contacted the publishers of the affected works and they’ve pulled the books from the site, so I’ve spent 71p on it. I better pass this sodding exam. smiley - smiley What do you mean, they can store books but they can’t read ‘em for you? I thought that was what they are meant to do. they also take a different formats, such as unprotected MOBI, PUB, etc. Is that what you mean?

Rod, I don't know but I ended up buying it on the cheap and it’s got all I need. Aside from the c/r info that is, which I might well need, but I'm sure I can find it somewhere.

Petty Hates

Post 9676

Pit - ( Carpe Diem - Stay in Bed )

Dear, I know you´re a "I´ll get that done if it kills me" girl...but on hootoo you sometimes _do_ sound like a whiner.
smiley - hug
Pit

Petty Hates

Post 9677

Sho - employed again!

PH: Something For the Weekend. How long has that show been going now? Can't they get it into their thick heads when they next have to speak and make sure they aren't eating? It was bad enough with that flippin' Amanda woman who did it WITHOUT Fail every week just before one regular post-sampling-the-food clip, but now they're all at it.

While I'm at it: Get Louise Rednapp off it. Get her off NOW she's hopeless and she can't even speak English. And it's AITCH. AITCH. flaming norah!

Petty Hates

Post 9678

swl

... and breathe smiley - winkeye

Petty Hates

Post 9679

Pit... I know. So do the rest of us!

No PH’s this weekend, unless you count reading critical material and photocopying the bits I need, Tom Deacon on Radio 1 (such a prat), and Take That’s new song. No. Just no... but I won’t. So all is good. Cue the Hallelujah Chorus!

Petty Hates

Post 9680

Pit - ( Carpe Diem - Stay in Bed )

Copy the short bits by writing them down. I still have formulas and constants that have been chiseled into my brain 40 years ago.

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more